The British and Irish Lions

Franky

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon it's unlikely, both cost and somewhere to put it.

I watched the game at my first visit in '09, but wouldn't bother again.  Now I know just how much stuff is going on I'd much rather go and find stuff that I'm only going to do or see at Glastonbury.  

And if it's on early doors then I'll either be asleep or too banjaxed to care.

19 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I watched the 1st half of the match but wasn't gonna miss Big bottoms (Jarvis played bass on that). 

edit to clarify I meant on a bass guitar on that song. He wasn't using a big bottom to play bass.

I'd have enjoyed watching either.

But hey, first visit so now I know that sporting events are an option only if I'm awake and there is nothing else on across the entire site.  Which is pretty bloody unlikely.

• 2 months later...

I have just had a reply from the official Lions Tour organisers who have stated that they would love to show the game at Glastonbury again but they would obviously need to discuss with the organisers. I was wondering if Neil or anyone else could help me out with passing some contact names, numbers or email addresses along to them.

Thanks for any help in advance, feel free to PM me

Does sport fall under the category of performing arts ?

Not being a sporting fan myself I love the idea of the festival being sport free, get enough of it on in every darn pub you walk into - lovely to have a few days with none - (waits for the downvotes) , but hey just my view and if its on I'll avoid it :-)

Much as I love the Lions FF, I'm kind of with you on that.  Personally I think that if it goes on somewhere in a way that doesn't impact the rest of the festival then fair enough.  But if stuff is moved or altered in order to make way for a sporting event then not so happy :)

Please lets not start this again, the match will be on at like 08:00 so it wont interfere with any of the festival program, either stay in bed or simply don't watch but for those of us who want to watch, it would be great to have a big crowd again.

6 minutes ago, Franky said:

Please lets not start this again, the match will be on at like 08:00 so it wont interfere with any of the festival program, either stay in bed or simply don't watch but for those of us who want to watch, it would be great to have a big crowd again.

Is it not 6.30am?

I'm a "sports fan" but I really don't get the fascination with the Lions tour. Never mind at 6.30am.

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, Franky said:

Yeah, @Quark, if that is your real name, you should be fully up to speed with what time some rugby shenanigans kicks off in 6 months time. Don't start!

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Yeah, @Quark, if that is your real name, you should be fully up to speed with what time some rugby shenanigans kicks off in 6 months time. Don't start!

Quiet you ;)

Fair do's @Franky, quite happy with that!  Haven't even got round to checking the kick off times yet!  Watching the game in 2009 was a good craic at Williams Green.

My experience of sport at Glastonbury was soured when I got dragged along in 2010 to watch England in the football (I know, different sport and all that). My reason for not wanting to watch, and my concern in general, is that something as emotive as a big sporting event like that can have a real shitty effect on people's moods depending on whether you win or lose.  The England match was a case in point; I never want to be around a crowd of people that angry and/or despondent at Glastonbury again.

Rugby does tend to be different I know, but even in '09 I remember the general mood when O'Gara had a bit of a howler at the end, and it diod sour the mood a smidge.

But, that's my call not yours or the organisers :)  And yes, I'll probably still be in bed or just having "breakfast" at that time! :smoke:

Tbh i didn't look at the kick off time actually it could well be 06:30 ! I thought it was a little later but either way :) It will be a struggle as it was in 2005 but if you happen to be that big of fan of something that only comes around every 4 years you will either make it or decide you're too hung over and stay in bed :)

Quark mate, don't bite lol every 4 years this happens. I ask if its going to be shown, the interested parties discuss it on here and it ends up yes or no, I still have a great time regardless. However you get the odd few that have no intention of watching it and their festival will not be affected by it but for some reason still find it necessary to object to it as though we were going to burn small children on the Pyramid stage during the headliner :)  

The issue is that - if it is that early - then the festival will have to deploy staff to man the AV and security to supervise whatever crowd it is that gathers.  It won't be as simple as just turning on the TV at home -  it'll mean arranging shift rotas specifically to accommodate it and finding the money to pay for it.

Given their recent tendency not to show any sport I'd be surprised if they find the cash to do this.