Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe Tribe are held back to help Bestival sales? Tho ofc The xx were announced.

Yeah Wiley's should be good. He's really amped for it.

I think Dizzee has to do the house tracks to be honest. They were his biggest hits, sadly, and there'll certainly be people more into that watching him.

And I didn't know that about Skepta but they've still got a huge placing to fill by the looks of the poster. I think at different fests they could go ahead without him but he's so much bigger than the collective at Glasto that it's just a non-starter without. Plus I don't expect Wiley if he's meant to be doing the same stage the same day.

Yeah, true for Dizzee. Should still get Stop Dat and I Luv U though, and maybe 2 Far if Wiley is about...

I always forget Wiley is meant to be a proper member of BBK. Christ, it really could be something special.

Kano is about too. I saw most of his set last year and it was great, so an upgrade from Sonic is deserved I think.

19 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeh Skepta seems to have gone full 180degrees recently. The man seems to have lost  a lot of weight.

Yeah, plus the sniffling in videos. Its sad to see, but Skepta is the type to get sucked up in 'fame' and all that. Just hope he doesn't get too messed up from it.

9 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

So it's crack rather than coke then...

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, ConorC said:

The only thing the poster lacks is a big hitter from hip hop.

Kendrick/Drake/Chance. Would've bumped it up from a 9 to a 10.

They don't really do those though, do they? Headliners aside the biggest hip hop acts have been, like, Dizzee, Pharrell and Snoop. Not that any of those were small at the time but none too exciting. Think that's just something the other festivals are more adept at bringing in.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They don't really do those though, do they? Headliners aside the biggest hip hop acts have been, like, Dizzee, Pharrell and Snoop. Not that any of those were small at the time but none too exciting. Think that's just something the other festivals are more adept at bringing in.

Yeah, my mate was sure Tribe would be playing but it was based on hope alone. When Glastonbury book a hip hop act its normally something you're not expecting like Wu-Tang. They were on the money with Chance in 2014 and Vince Staples last year, but for a festival of its size it really doesn't seem to have a great understanding of hip hop.

12 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Yeah, my mate was sure Tribe would be playing but it was based on hope alone. When Glastonbury book a hip hop act its normally something you're not expecting like Wu-Tang. They were on the money with Chance in 2014 and Vince Staples last year, but for a festival of its size it really doesn't seem to have a great understanding of hip hop.

They got Chance just before he properly broke though, on the back of Acid Rap. He played to a half-empty JP tent, so I doubt he asked for much fee back then. Booking him now would cost a hell of a lot more.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Doesn't mean they can't cos they haven't though does it?

Drake/Kendrick are headline status acts in their own right so I was never really expecting someone like that.

Chance/Gambino however? Gettable.

Just now, ConorC said:

Doesn't mean they can't cos they haven't though does it?

Drake/Kendrick are headline status acts in their own right so I was never really expecting someone like that.

Chance/Gambino however? Gettable.

I don't mean you're wrong to hope for it. It just never seems to happen, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't mean you're wrong to hope for it. It just never seems to happen, unfortunately.

Probably about right. That's literally the only thing this lineup lacks though for me.

Buzzing with what we've got though. Plenty of hip hop (or hip hop influences) around, Sampha/RTJ/Little Dragon/Thundercat/BadBadNotGood/Avalanches/Solange/Paak/Loyle Carner.

Plus the whole of sonic to come, plus whoever turns up unannounced.

Bring it.

Edited by ConorC

17 minutes ago, big__phil said:

They got Chance just before he properly broke though, on the back of Acid Rap. He played to a half-empty JP tent, so I doubt he asked for much fee back then. Booking him now would cost a hell of a lot more.

That was probably the ideal time for me. I didn't like his last album that much, but love 10 Day and Acid Rap. Doing a cover of the Arthur theme song (dunno the actual name) was such an unexpected and amazing surprise too. It was such a fun gig. I didn't notice how many people were there, but I doubt the atmosphere would be as good with a huge crowd.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Plus I don't expect Wiley if he's meant to be doing the same stage the same day.

I'm gonna completely disregard that Neil has all those grime acts down for Saturday Other now. Firstly they were put there on the back of his info about Wiley, Justice, Liam Gallagher, etc. being on Other which seems to be duff info. And secondly Neil said earlier that the info was that Wiley/Stormzy etc were headlining Other which makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Hope he still gets the streams and sales. Its a very early leak and I do feel for him in that sense.

I listened to the first 3 tracks before Match of the Day. Very smooth.

Less than a week isn't that early; I think most albums surface in the days coming up. Tho I think by and large the people who buy or stream aren't likely to download a leak and vice versa nowadays.

Anyway I'm looking forward to it coming out. Been said everywhere that it's gonna be Joey's year and he was my no. 1 rap hope for Glasto. I don't personally think B4.DA.$$ ever got it's due but hopefully he can deliver to everyone this time around.

Plus he's been filming Mr. Robot so he's still gonna have a role in that, which is news that I'm pleased with.

Skepta's track on Drake's new album is absolute flames. If that is a form guide then he's still on it.

As Disappointed that the main hip hop proper act is currently RTJ. They're ace and WH in 2015 was tremendous but to book them again when there's a whole genre of artists out there is a little unimaginative. Anderson. Paak is a massive highlight though.

I'm so down with the kids, UK Grime is where it is at. 

Im talking trash , I haven't got a clue what grime is. To me it sounds like Dizzy rascal got angry and sweary. Dizzy in turn sounds like Eminem started rapping to dance music. All of which I actually don't hate . Stomzy is ok . One too many swear words for my liking but he's talented . Does he really need to swear so much . It's all mother fucker this and dickhead that . 

I've been a fan of clipping. for a while now, never thought what a live performance would be like, this is amazing though, one of them sets you lose half an hour to out of fascination/confusion (in a good way). No tour dates after April so probably unlikely...

Just now, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

he calls his mum 'mumsie'

So does Richard O'Brien. Nowt wrong wi it.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I've been a fan of clipping. for a while now, never thought what a live performance would be like, this is amazing though, one of them sets you lose half an hour to out of fascination/confusion (in a good way). No tour dates after April so probably unlikely...

Think Daveed Diggs is still on Broadway doing Hamilton or something isn't he? Must be out of the picture for a while on the touring front.

• Upvote 1