Hip Hop, Rap, Grime 2017

Damy

Nope, no, not even Donald Glover makes James Corden worth suffering.

Got some beef with Reggie Watts as well because he made a gag during his sat at Latitude this year about Taylor Swift "singing those songs other men wrote for her", which struck me as pretty massively sexist that he would just automatically assume not only that she doesn't write her own music (she actually does yo) but that it was men who did write it. Also assumes that there's no artistic merit in being only a singer and performer but you actually have to write all your own music otherwise you're a total charlatan and a puppet, which is complete bullshit. And now I find out he's in league with James Corden!? You're on very thin ice here, Reg.

• Upvote 3

Looking forward to it but Lupe's been kinda erratic recently which isn't usually an omen for a solid album. Tho I didn't pick up Cudi's latest and I hear that's decent all things considered.

Have been revisiting early Lupe recently cos with his retirement (lol) I read a few opinions about how Lupe should've been where Kendrick is at now off his first two - skillful, intellectual rap comparison I guess - and I dunno, it might be true. But I guess it's not game over for Lupe anyway with this coming out.

Also anyone checked out Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix? I'm a couple of episodes in and it's really interesting. I don't suppose it's a whole overarching thing as the first ep was about its advent with breakbeat and stuff and the second one was adding rapping to the beats so there'd be a lot to cover in the last two episodes but it tells a good story of the origins.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Looking forward to it but Lupe's been kinda erratic recently which isn't usually an omen for a solid album. Tho I didn't pick up Cudi's latest and I hear that's decent all things considered.

Have been revisiting early Lupe recently cos with his retirement (lol) I read a few opinions about hoa w Lupe should've been where Kendrick is at now off his first two - skillful, intellectual rap comparison I guess - and I dunno, it might be true. But I guess it's not game over for Lupe anyway with this coming out.

Also anyone checked out Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix? I'm a couple of episodes in and it's really interesting. I don't suppose it's a whole overarching thing as the first ep was about its advent with breakbeat and stuff and the second one was adding rapping to the beats so there'd be a lot to cover in the last two episodes but it tells a good story of the origins.

He can rap circles round anyone. If Atlantic hadn't fucked hin over so badly with Lasers then he'd have followed a more natural path. His first two albums are top tier. Tetsuo & Youth was stellar too.

He hasn't helped himself with his antics on Twitter though.

This ends his Atlantic contract, then there's DROGAS and Skulls to come out. Where we'll see the proper lyrical Lu.

I've watched the first one. Thought it was superb.

Edited by EighteenSixty7

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best topic to post this, but has anyone seen that Kanye West looks like he's doing some sort of Collaboration with Cage the Elephant? Not sure what to make of it....

9 hours ago, marcoolio said:

There was this tweet from the Elephant lads as well:

Nah I think CTE were playing along with it for a laugh or something. This King Myers guy changed his handle to 'Kanye West', copied his picture and followed and messaged loadsa Kanye fans to promote this collab and now he's on about being signed to GOOD Music - not really how anyone with any credentials would act.

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah I think CTE were playing along with it for a laugh or something. This King Myers guy changed his handle to 'Kanye West', copied his picture and followed and messaged loadsa Kanye fans to promote this collab and now he's on about being signed to GOOD Music - not really how anyone with any credentials would act.

Good spot to be fair - part of me is disappointed mind

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

unfortunately i think the answer is that he probably won't play, but if i had to hazard a guess i'd say maybe third down West Holts or subbing John Peel

I feel myself agreeing with him not being there, that seems very likely.