Folk, Country, Americana at Glastonbury 2017

TheSheriff

Don't think the Jayhawks have been mentioned -saw them at Moseley Folk Festival in September, very very good. Would be high up in the park maybe. Also honourable mention for Phospherescent and I Am The Kit, excellent sets. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Would love to see the Travelling Band play again. Last time was the Park I think.

They played Avalon Cafe in 2013 and Joe Dudderidge played a solo set on Small World stage that I sadly missed last year but yeah, I'd love to see them back. Hugely underrated and got a new album out next year.

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

They played Avalon Cafe in 2013 and Joe Dudderidge played a solo set on Small World stage that I sadly missed last year but yeah, I'd love to see them back. Hugely underrated and got a new album out next year.

True, very true. First came across them at the Glastonbury Talent competition in the village. That was probably 2013. Been to every gig in this area since, including the Rifleman's in Glastonbury which was a classic, for various reasons. Seems they don't come down this way so much any more. 

5 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

True, very true. First came across them at the Glastonbury Talent competition in the village. That was probably 2013. Been to every gig in this area since, including the Rifleman's in Glastonbury which was a classic, for various reasons. Seems they don't come down this way so much any more. 

I think they've been hiring themselves out as a backing band for solo artists. They cropped up backing someone on Chris Evans' show a few months back.

Saw them a few months back, they'd added a clarinet/sax player along with the bloke who plays steel guitar for Billy Bragg. Excellent night but only about 50 there.

16 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Don't think the Jayhawks have been mentioned -saw them at Moseley Folk Festival in September, very very good. Would be high up in the park maybe. Also honourable mention for Phospherescent and I Am The Kit, excellent sets. 

think you mean This is the Kit, chuckles!

They were brilliant in the Crow's Nest this summer...

Ben

On 12/8/2016 at 4:51 AM, giantkatestacks said:

Just popping in here to say that I have been listening to the  Case/lang/veirs album a lot this week and it has really grown on me. Does it count as Americana enough?

More Canadian icons, I figure. ;) Well maybe two of them are adopted. 

Edited by JacquelineS

2 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

More Canadian icons, I figure. ;) Well maybe two of them are adopted. 

Hey, Canuck girl! Where are you in the city? My Dad lives in Bayview (SW, south side of Glenmore reservoir). I was there in October (not for a happy reason, sadly...). And the Flames are winning at the moment. Who knew? Were you at the festival this year? Did you go see Braids?!

:)

Ben

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey, Canuck girl! Where are you in the city? My Dad lives in Bayview (SW, south side of Glenmore reservoir). I was there in October (not for a happy reason, sadly...). And the Flames are winning at the moment. Who knew? Were you at the festival this year? Did you go see Braids?!

:)

Ben

Hi Ben, I am pretty central in Lower Mount Royal. Sorry your visit here was not for happier reasons. I did see the Braids, but mostly because they were thrown in with San Fermin. I go to CFMF every year. I buy tickets before Christmas much like you Glasto folk do without any clue as to who will be there. I think when I get to Glasto this summer I will be in for a shock. It won't be my idyllic little island any more. Plus I have trouble figuring out what to see at a mere 6 stages. How will I cope with it all? :)

This was me exactly when I got tickets to Glastonbury. It was 2:00 a.m. my time. 

1 hour ago, JacquelineS said:

Hi Ben, I am pretty central in Lower Mount Royal. Sorry your visit here was not for happier reasons. I did see the Braids, but mostly because they were thrown in with San Fermin. I go to CFMF every year. I buy tickets before Christmas much like you Glasto folk do without any clue as to who will be there. I think when I get to Glasto this summer I will be in for a shock. It won't be my idyllic little island any more. Plus I have trouble figuring out what to see at a mere 6 stages. How will I cope with it all? :)

This was me exactly when I got tickets to Glastonbury. It was 2:00 a.m. my time. 

Will it be your first Glastonbury?

Oh. My. Gosh.

:o

Your mind will be blown!

Keep in touch and I could easily find you at some point and 'help'!!

Ben

Saw Hiss Golden Messenger at Village Underground last week, his new album Heart Like A Levee is really excellent. There's some emotive quieter tracks on it, but there's also some that sit right in the pocket and just groove.

It would be great to see him play Glasto, although I'm not entirely sure where he'd go... West Holts perhaps?

Edited by alexmckenzie

On 12/16/2016 at 0:25 PM, alexmckenzie said:

Saw Hiss Golden Messenger at Village Underground last week, his new album Heart Like A Levee is really excellent. There's some emotive quieter tracks on it, but there's also some that sit right in the pocket and just groove.

It would be great to see him play Glasto, although I'm not entirely sure where he'd go... West Holts perhaps?

Ooo... I like that, will have to investigate further.

35 minutes ago, alexmckenzie said:

I feel my life should be dedicated to educating the people about the existence of HGM ;) 

Listened to the only (I say only, I don't know if he has more) album of his on Amazon Prime today - Bad Debt. Just him and acoustic guitar rather than a band effort. Good though.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Listened to the only (I say only, I don't know if he has more) album of his on Amazon Prime today - Bad Debt. Just him and acoustic guitar rather than a band effort. Good though.

Lateness of Dancers and Heart Like a Levee are both full band efforts. If you ever have any time to spare, they're certainly worth a listen.

On 13/12/2016 at 9:29 PM, chuckles07 said:

I've been wanting them to return for a very long time

• 4 weeks later...