Folk, Country, Americana at Glastonbury 2017

TheSheriff

34 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Alison Krauss & Union Station. Or anything Jerry Douglas related. 

But its difficult. No one goes to the gigs really. Patti Griffin (with Dave Pulkingham, who is shit hot) this year played to 60 or 70 people. Acoustic tent completely empty. 

Gretchen Peters (not terribly exciting I know) was the same in 2013. 

These sorts are used to playing places like the Ryman and the like so being carted over to a field in Somerset to play to a handful of people looking to get out of the rain is hardly something on the to do list.

Yeah, unfortunately true.... was thinking about some of the bigger country artists Zac Brown, Chris Stapleton and the like. I would love to see them on the farm, but struggle to see where they would fit, and if they would be interested in playing a smaller stage at a muddy festival when back in America they sell out stadiums no problem

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryley Walker would be great. catching him in the next few weeks

Dylan Leblanc

Langhorne Slim

Cass McCombs

Natalie Prass

and then to befuddle most of the bigger/younger fans of The National at Glasto, have them play a second set solely of Grateful Dead songs played by themselves, or better yet, with a 70-year old gray-bearded shorts-wearing frontman as a fill-in for Matt Berninger

Guys, you should check out Marlon Williams. Kiwi songwriter, on way up, could play anything including early Pyramid he's that good. I heard him shut up a festival crowd In Australia (only one stage, very mixed and bevvied crowd) who didn't know who he was. Everyone watched in hushed silence after two songs.

Edited by Superscally

On 10/12/2016 at 11:23 PM, Waapster said:

Ryan Adams on Park Stage against The Who was one of the best things I've ever seen (its still on Youtube). Would love to get him back to play through 1989.

I agree.  Highlight of the last few years for me. Peaceful Valley from that night in The Park is one of the all time great rock'n'roll performances.  Not sure I realised it at the time, but every time I watch it, it gets better and better. 

11 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

For folky goodness, I'd suggest

Blackbeard's Tea Party

Ryley Walker

Katzenjammer

And shirley we must be due a visit from Richard Thompson?

Up vote for Katzenjammer, seen them a few times now and loved them. 

Would like to see The Dunwells, been watching them for a few years now and they're getting better all the time. 

On 12/10/2016 at 11:23 PM, Waapster said:

Ryan Adams on Park Stage against The Who was one of the best things I've ever seen (its still on Youtube). Would love to get him back to play through 1989.

I was at the Chems (had seen Ryan Adams in Glasgow a few months before so that decided it for me), was gutted to miss him though, would love to see him back this year. 

18 minutes ago, mandolin said:

Loving Nal's suggestion of Alison Krauss & Union Station.  Would also really like to see Calexico live again - they were my "best of Green Man 2015".  The Oh Hello's were "close to the best of Green Man 2016" so they would do nicely too.

Calexico, best Americana act, ever....

1 hour ago, mandolin said:

Loving Nal's suggestion of Alison Krauss & Union Station.  Would also really like to see Calexico live again - they were my "best of Green Man 2015".  The Oh Hello's were "close to the best of Green Man 2016" so they would do nicely too.

The Oh Hellos were probably my discovery of Green Man 2016, wouldn't mind a bit more of that.

Van Dyke Parks still tours, right? I'd make a point to brave the trek up to the Acoustic if he was playing, reckon he'd have to have a sizeable band tho.

I saw the Oh Hellos at Beautiful Days and loved them, they would be perfect in the Avalon. Another act I saw there, who I highly recommend, was Will Varley - an amazing singer songwriter.

I was sorry to miss This is the Kit this year, but seeing them in London soon.

Love the suggestions of Calexico, Decemberists, Counting Crows, Conor Oberst, First Aid Kit, although some of those seem unlikely. I seem to remember Conor O is not the biggest fan of the festival. First Aid Kit have got a fair bit bigger since their last appearance and would warrant a decent slot, hopefully on the Park.