Must Do's At Glasto??

oo7tk

51 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

If following the past few years patterns, The Temple, still dancing until the clock strikes 5am, ish

I was going to go to Ben UFO and JJ after Seth finished at Genosys, but I heard they were still queuing at 0300h for the Temple and Felix's first two tracks were SOOOO good that I thought, Sod It, I'll stay here. No regrets, it was ace!

18 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The temple feels a bit odd around 6am when it's bright again! At least I thought so anyway 

You gotta be kidding. Probably my favourite thing at Glastonbury is starting at a venue in the deepest dark of the night and dancing through the transition of morning twilight into proper morning, before heading back to my tent/friends at 0630h. A priceless experience for me :).

Ben

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some solid advice here.

I'd only add: if it's your first time, try to keep the hype in perspective. Yes, it's one of the best places in the world to be, but no, it's not five days of non-stop bliss. There will be things that annoy you, sets you'll miss and even times you just feel done with it. If you end up feeling like that, just know we all do occasionally. It's not your fault, it's just what happens when you spend so long at such a big place. So accept that, and take it in your stride. The next fantastic moment is probably just around the corner.

Other tips: use the lock-ups for store anything you'd miss; take £50 a day + £100; if you're in a group then do some stuff by yourself; if you're by yourself then get talking to a random or two - tent neighbours are a good place to start; make full use of the healing fields; don't spend too much time at the Pyramid; if there are big queues, it's probably not worth the time; go easy on the booze.

When it comes to the booze front, don't over indulge on the Wednesday. Made the mistake of doing this in 2015 and paid for it on Thursday and had the mother of all hangovers in the morning. On the plus side I had completely forgotten about it by late afternoon and was back on the sauce again.

8 hours ago, bonbonbonbons said:

The circus field/cabaret area is one that gets unfairly (in my opinion) overlooked by my group... definitely spend some time wandering around there, you'll so many weird and wonderful things going on

Also - hip hop karaoke at the stonebridge bar is great fun, even more so if you're the brave sort that'll give it a go. Was definitely a highlight when I did it, plus you can kind of say you've played glastonbury!

Why have I just heard about this? I'll be sure to bust out my rendition of White Lines given the chance!

Rangdangdiggitydangadang

My first year was last year and before it all I could think about was the amount of acts I was going to see on the main stages but the best things about GF are definitely the things you don't expect. 

Wednesday night up at the Glastonbury sign seeing the fireworks and bonfire then stumbling across bimble inn was one of my favourite times. You could really feel the atmosphere building. 

Having a look round the stalls and meeting the people running them was also something that I thought made GF stand out from the rest. 

Then of course SE Corner. Was in Block 9 til the early hours on the Monday and it was an amazing way to end the festival. 

Can't wait! 

Don't be cowed by your companions telling you what you should and shouldn't do.  I maintain that brushing my teeth with the cider I bought at Castle Cary station was perfectly acceptable.

Don't get so banjaxed that you fall asleep standing up to a headliner.  In my defence Disclosure were dull as f**k.

Don't waste your time filming sets on your phone.  You'll never actually watch them and the sound quality will make you sad.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Talk to people.  My favourite encounter this year was chatting to a guy even more smashed than me in the Green Fields and realising he had no trousers on.  The funny part was his mate then turning around with an exasperated "have you lost your fucking trousers AGAIN?"

Go to The Wood, preferably at night. It's gorgeous.

Eat a Goan Fish Curry and drink some good cider.

Spend at least half a day in the Theatre and Circus area, and especially spend some time with Bramble FM. 

See New York Brass Band, Mik Artistik, and at least one band you've never even heard of - they might be your new favourite act. If you're bored or not having fun, move on.

Sit, not hover.

Talk to strangers.

On 12/10/2016 at 4:17 PM, Quark said:

Unless a band is a must see, don't be afraid to change your plans if you see / hear / become aware of something interesting.

Don't be afraid to strike out on your own.  After Wednesday and Thursday wandering around you'll be able to identify meeting places to catch up with people later on.  

People watch.  Ideally with a cup of tea and a bit of cake at the Tiny Tea Tent. Good for the soul and you can guarantee you'll see some wonderfully messed up people staggering around.

Don't be self conscious about dancing.  Dance monkey, dance!

I would say Baggy Mondays on Thursday afternoon, especially if the weather's good. Lovely atmosphere up there as the sun's getting lower, and always a good singalong.

Don't get hung up on one place to eat.  Try as many as you can.

First time you use a longdrop, look down.  You'll try not to but at some point over the weekend you will do, possibly by accident, and it's good to get it out of the way early and under your own terms.  If you can use one within listening distance of a stage, that works out well.  I had a very pleasant 10 minutes last year listening to James Bay...

Talk to people.  The 5 minute friend is a wonderfult festival phenomenon.  Just maybe not while on a longdrop.

Talk to people is the best advice so far!   Everyone at the festival knows something you don't.......

On 10/13/2016 at 8:39 AM, Untz said:

It's absolute pure filth, especially when you've been out of it a bit and come round to see the surroundings. I highly recommend it.

I walked in there at what must of been about 6am on the sunday this year. Absolutely blew my mind the place was rammed was total carnage!