Memories of T-Day in 2004

budvar

Is it just me or is it taking slightly longer after it 'peaked' in 2015 (on sale October 14):

2017 - on sale October, sold out 50 minutes.
2016 - on sale October, sold out 33 minutes.
2015 - on sale October, sold out 26 minutes.
2014 - on sale October, sold out 1 hour and 27 minutes.
2013 - on sale October, sold out 1 hour and 40 minutes.
2012 - Fallow year.
2011 - on sale October, sold out 4 hours (1.15pm).
2010 - on sale October, sold out 12 hours.
2009 - on sale October, sold out February.
2008 - on sale April, sold out a day before the Festival started.
2007 - First year of registration system (implemented to cut out touting) on sale April, sold out 2 hours.
2006 - Fallow year.
2005 - on sale April, sold out 1 hour and 45 minutes (touts and scalpers blamed with thousands then put up for sale on eBay).
2004 - on sale April, sold out 24 hours.
2003 - on sale April, sold out 26 hours.
2002 - on sale April, sold out after 25 days, which was the first time it sold out 2 months in advance, and the first year of the super fence.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm saying this having not got tickets this year but the extended sales really separated the wheat from the chaff in terms of who really wanted to go. I remember getting through after 14 hours or something really feeling we had earned our place there. I say downgrade the servers back to 2004 and put them on sale 9am Saturday morning :P

17 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I seem to remember still getting my 2002 ones from HMV....?

That really does feel like it's from a different era all together (as does the fact you could pay with postal orders in 2004!)

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the "shops around the UK" was, I think, a small number in HMV for old times sake. People were still wary about buying online back then.

I've looked back in the news items here, and aloud defo did it in 2003, so that would have been them as the exclusive online & phone outlet. I'm pretty sure it was about the same in 2002.

There was defo an exclusive deal of some sort for 2002. I remember that cos I got bumped out of an agreed ticket allocation because of it.

Not trying to be a dick, but I'm 100% sure that 2004 was the first year that Aloud did it exclusively. I did some digging in the internet archive and found this official announcement regarding 2004 tickets:

Last year tickets sold very quickly and as a result we had a huge problem with tickets being offered all over the place at three or four times their face value. Some of these tickets were traced back to outlets that we supplied but had no effective control over. 

So this year the tickets will only be sold by the telephone ticketline, phone number 0870 830 2004, and through the website address www.aloud.com. There will be a link from the Festival website, www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk to www.aloud.com. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20040409100216/http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/+glastonburyfesti-3/

8 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

Have we ever established if it actually sold out? I know they claimed it did but selling out the day before was rather fortuitous. That year certainly spooked Michael Eavis and I'm very relieved it's (seemingly) gone from strength to strength since.

Just now, budvar said:

Have we ever established if it actually sold out? I know they claimed it did but selling out the day before was rather fortuitous. That year certainly spooked Michael Eavis and I'm very relieved it's (seemingly) gone from strength to strength since.

I'm not sure it did - judging by the hordes arriving on Sunday at the coach park I suspect somehow it was close to reaching capacity - but I have no idea how they marketed those tickets or shifted them that close to gates opening that year.

2002 I remember being no hassle although I can't remember exactly how I bought them, 03 I think I got them over the phone from a tourist office down Somerset way, 04 I used the international phone line as advertised on here, we passed the phone around a group of us and the kind lady let us all book using the one phone call.

Aaah simple times..

15 minutes ago, budvar said:

Pretty sure my neighbor decided on a whim to get a ticket on the Thursday, could have been Wednesday though.  I was skint so couldn't make it, everyone else had buggered off already when she decided she was going.

27 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

Not trying to be a dick, but I'm 100% sure that 2004 was the first year that Aloud did it exclusively. I did some digging in the internet archive and found this official announcement regarding 2004 tickets:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040409100216/http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/+glastonburyfesti-3/

I'm not thinking you're a dick, i'm thinking how shocking my memory is. :P

The one thing i can be certain of is negotiating that ticket deal, and then later being told it couldn't happen because of an exclusive deal of some sort. The exclusive part might have only been online, I can't remember.

I'd even gone to the extent of sorting out an overdraft (£1M-ish, if I remember rightly) with NatWest Corporate in Exeter after my own bank had turned me down (the geezer at NatWest understood that glasto tickets would sell and he'd get his money back).

I can't remember what the exclusive deal that excluded me might have been, tho I do remember I didn't/don't feel particularly ill-treated by them having reneged (with no recompense) on that part of the deal, and I definitely would have been fucked off with them if what they'd told me as why they couldn't do the deal with me hadn't happened.

(Sorting out that deal was the only time I've been in the farmhouse - tho it was a different dwelling to the one Michael lived in.)

It might be that the exclusive deal for 2002 was with the company I'm thinking of that were in or around Bristol rather than aloud.com, tho if it was them I'd say they'd done most of the tickets in the few years preceding then too.

PS: that "tickets being offered all over the place" in what you've linked to is clearly about touting, as it's saying "at three or four times face value".

Edited by eFestivals

I think I got through in 2004 about 9.10am,but then had to try for a friend over the next 24 hours- there was talk of a server having gone on fire or something, in the end had success with the Freya link. 

What was the year when the put some tickets on sale early- about 8.20am or something -  I remember as it was the first year I didn't bother even checking the site that early! 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

I seem to remember still getting my 2002 ones from HMV....?

I purchased my first Glasto tickets from Spillers Records in Cardiff...They'd already been on sale for a month or so. 

I think they cost something in the region of £60 with free parking...and the parking was probably about 100 yards from ped gate D.

2004 was me and my mate at her work using 3 phones each.  One phone turned out to be faulty cos I got through after a couple of hours but no one could hear me.  It near broke my heart to hang up!  We did the business (4 tickets in the one call - she was a gem and didn't make us hang up and start again!) on the international number in time for last orders at the pub over the road.  We didn't internet in those days so hitting the lucky international route was a case of just dial ALL the numbers.

2 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

Is it just me or is it taking slightly longer after it 'peaked' in 2015 (on sale October 14):

2017 - on sale October, sold out 50 minutes.
2016 - on sale October, sold out 33 minutes.
2015 - on sale October, sold out 26 minutes.
2014 - on sale October, sold out 1 hour and 27 minutes.
2013 - on sale October, sold out 1 hour and 40 minutes.
2012 - Fallow year.
2011 - on sale October, sold out 4 hours (1.15pm).
2010 - on sale October, sold out 12 hours.
2009 - on sale October, sold out February.
2007 - First year of registration system (implemented to cut out touting) on sale April, sold out 2 hours.
2006 - Fallow year.
2005 - on sale April, sold out 1 hour and 45 minutes (touts and scalpers blamed with thousands then put up for sale on eBay).
2004 - on sale April, sold out 24 hours.
2003 - on sale April, sold out 26 hours.
2002 - on sale April, sold out after 25 days, which was the first time it sold out 2 months in advance, and the first year of the super fence.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

@Gnomicide are you adding this?

Certainly will, quality info Scottie! 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

PS: that "tickets being offered all over the place" in what you've linked to is clearly about touting, as it's saying "at three or four times face value".

Yes, that part is talking about the touting, but it also said:

Some of these tickets were traced back to outlets that we supplied but had no effective control over. 

And it seems clear to me that the move to a single ticket seller was a new move for that year (2004), but maybe I'm biased in the way I'm reading it:

So this year the tickets will only be sold by the telephone ticketline, phone number 0870 830 2004, and through the website address www.aloud.com.

Edited by Cheesey

2 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

I'm not sure it did - judging by the hordes arriving on Sunday at the coach park I suspect somehow it was close to reaching capacity - but I have no idea how they marketed those tickets or shifted them that close to gates opening that year.

From my memory tickets were still available on the gate that year although that wasn'the publicised, perhaps in fear of a last mine rush. ThIs is what prompted the move to an October sales, something other festivals had already moved to (which may have been a reason for poor ticket sales that year too). Since the it'seems just gone crazy!

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yep, the international number was the saviour for tickets - tho that would have been in 2004.. :)

Grant, who was the manager of Blackbud (remember them?) phoned me up and told me he'd just got tickets via that route, and I then publicised it on here (tho probably only after getting my tickets first :P)

That saved my bacon... I can remember being in a lab very late and furiously dialling away when I saw that tip on eFests. It still took a while to get through but we did get tickets. For some reason I had remembered it as being a Sunday, but I'll take everyone's word for it that it was a Thursday.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the "shops around the UK" was, I think, a small number in HMV for old times sake. People were still wary about buying online back then.

I've looked back in the news items here, and aloud defo did it in 2003, so that would have been them as the exclusive online & phone outlet. I'm pretty sure it was about the same in 2002.

There was defo an exclusive deal of some sort for 2002. I remember that cos I got bumped out of an agreed ticket allocation because of it.

I definitely got my 2003 ticket from Concepts (independent record shop) in Durham. I included the coach though, so perhaps packages were sold through a wider network? I can remember popping in on the off-chance and finding that they still had two tickets; this was a few weeks after they had sold out. I think that the ticket (with the coach) was about £120-130.

2004 was my first year. I managed to get tickets quite by accident. I managed to avoid all the chaos aloud.com caused. I must of been lucky and got a few tickets in a second batch that were released on line. Logged on just to have a look and they were still on sale, gave my mate a bell and scribbled down his details as we still needed name and address on the ticket. It took a few calls for him to pick up and a lot of persuasion from me how good it will be.

Never really intended on going but Oasis (I was hugely let down by their naff set) and Sir Paul were heading not sure if I would see both of them on the same bill again. Picked up the courage to go all that way and had the best time of my life. (Id only been V-Festival before being a young fresh faced 18 year old and that only being all of 20 minutes down the road).

Booked up the tickets, got the coach from Victoria and never looked back.

Remember spending the best part of 24h trying on the phone/internet with a 40 min break while on my way to work, accessing the net at my work when we weren't supposed to use it... no dice. 

Randomly was on a festival website, maybe the official one back then, a few days later and read people had been getting tickets so kept trying sporadically... Good Friday was Fecking Amazing Friday that year. Booked my 2, called a mate who thought I was taking the mick... and rang back later confirming all booked.

Was a great fest too!

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yep, the international number was the saviour for tickets - tho that would have been in 2004.. :)

Grant, who was the manager of Blackbud (remember them?) phoned me up and told me he'd just got tickets via that route, and I then publicised it on here (tho probably only after getting my tickets first :P)

This was my first time going to Glastonbury. I didn't have a computer do went to a mates. My girlfriend (now wife) stayed at work. 

I was getting nowhere and fucked up by coming out of the browser. So I went on Efestivals and read your post. Got my tickets 10 mins later. 

I was buzzing. It was the first of many times this site has helped me get Glastonbury tickets

thanks