I hope the usual smaller bands aren't playing again this year...

chris_top_her

My main gripe with Glastonbury is that the same acts tend to play every year on the smaller stages. I know I know there's so much to choose etc etc but why do lazy bookings, I just really hope it's not the same bands and DJs again this year. You all know who I mean, they are great artists but when they are on the bill every year it becomes a but samey. Like the same cover band is on every year, there's thousands of cover bands if that's what you want for Thursday mix it up a little !!

Anyway that's my only moan, chuffed to be going again it's gonna be great! Can't wait for it!

It's a valid gripe, we had a game on here a few years ago to predict 20 bands who would be on. I want for the old favourites and got about 18 right. 

But at the same time it wouldn't be the same without Hobo opening Avalon or catching Mik Artistic somewhere. The rest, yeah, bring on someone different.

Edited by Gnomicide

I dunno – there are only a finite number of small acts in the world that are available and willing to do it for free, more or less.  And there are literally hundreds of slots to fill.

There are obviously exceptions, but there's also a bias towards acts from the local area which also keeps the availability pool a bit restricted.

Why there's so much electro-swing will be a mystery that we may never fathom out, though.

7 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

With all this Trump nonsense all weekend I keep bursting into 'CONDOLLEEZZA RICE' much to the amusement of Mr P&P who has never ever seen Mik Artistic... :D

Having a 4-week old baby I'm constantly singing dad muscles when I'm getting the pram and car seat in and out of the car! 

This is a good example of how Glastonbury is really a collection of festivals, rather than just one big one. It's not that the organisers of Glastonbury have booked the same acts year after year, it's that the bookers/organisers for certain stages do.

I agree that it might be a bit of a shame if it limits the opportunities of others; personally I'd like to see the Cabaret tent line-up given a complete refresh.

It wouldn't be Glastonbury for me if I didn't watch the usual suspects in the Mandala Tent and Thursday night watching Mamadoo Fireshow on A Little More Sensaton always makes me feel at home and to see Kangaroo Moon or Pyramids Of Snafu off the bill would be a bit of a travesty really. I guess these small bands playing every year make Glastonbury what it is. I'm sure they are hard working, touring bands, but it kind of feels like they're in hibernation for the rest of the year until Glastonbury comes round.

On 10/10/2016 at 0:00 PM, Quark said:

See, this is the stuff I'm looking forward to as I'm going solo this year.  5 trips in and never seen Mik Artistik, Dreadzone, Billy Bragg, Hobo Jones, Lekkido, The Smyths....don't take them all away from me!

You probably have seen them, if only by osmosis. They're pretty hard to avoid. 

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I've seen Hobo Jones & the Junkyard dogs play different festivals about 3 times per year for the last decade. They're still using some of the same old jokes.

Still make me laugh.

Which reminds me of their newish joke from this year: We've got a much posher dressing room this time back stage, its got a toilet in the corner of the room, with both a hot and a cold flush.

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I've seen Hobo Jones & the Junkyard dogs play different festivals about 3 times per year for the last decade. They're still using some of the same old jokes.

Still make me laugh.

ive seen them at probably my last 5 glastonburys and love them , they even responded to some of my bantering in thhe crowd last time :)