Campervan/Motorhome hire??

bonbonbonbons

Done it every year I've been and always thoroughly enjoyed it. Best things are; shelter from any adverse weather, very good nights sleep, toilets relatively clean, can take as much food and booze as you want without having to carry across site (it's horrible but great watching campers lug stuff in on Wednesday whilst sitting with cold beer), depending on the type of campervan you can have shower and toilet as I did last year, phone charging, can go in on Tuesday, cooking facilities and probably plenty more.

Negatives are; you're obviously a walk away from the site (usually 10 mins from a gate but uphill on the way back), last year we got stuck in the mud and had to get towed out, temptation to stay at campervan rather than get stuck in to festival can mean you miss stuff but that might just be me being lazy and....I'm struggling to think of what else (the additional cost?)

In London, I've rented from London Campers which was great http://www.londoncampers.co.uk/ and Rob, the owner, goes to the festival himself.

All the big companies put their prices up for Glastonbury. You'll be looking at over £1k for a decent sized motorhome.

I'd recommend using this site:

https://www.leisurerentalsdirect.com/

They basically list private owners who want to rent their motorhomes out and it's generally much cheaper than a big firm. We got a great 6 birth motorhome with fridge, toilet, solar panels, even a TV (we didn't use it) for about £750.

Top tips for taking a motorhome:

• Buy the Sunday Times the Sunday before and put it on all the floors so you don't get mud everywhere. In fact always take your wellies off before you get in and put them under the van in a bin bag or something
  • Never do a number 2 in your on board toilet
  • My favourite: take an ice block to keep in your freezer and a smallish cool bag. Keep the fridge fullyreplenished with cans of beer and cider and then when you go out in the day, stick as many as you can in your cool bag along with your ice block. Result = ice cold drinks all day long :) 

Ive done it 5-6 times of the 10 times Ive been, didn't last year as we got tickets late (so the missus was happy with a tent) and Id never go back.

Very expensive, outside the festival - sometimes 25 walk from the gate, shitty shower and toilet, huge queues for water, hours of pointless van admin through the week, sometimes queuing to get in/out of the festival (if it rains for example).

Decent tent, ear plugs and eye masks FTW.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ive done it 5-6 times of the 10 times Ive been, didn't last year as we got tickets late (so the missus was happy with a tent) and Id never go back.

Very expensive, outside the festival - sometimes 25 walk from the gate, shitty shower and toilet, huge queues for water, hours of pointless van admin through the week, sometimes queuing to get in/out of the festival (if it rains for example).

Decent tent, ear plugs and eye masks FTW.

Since going in a motorhome I don't think I'd go back to a tent.

Very expensive
Yes, a given really

outside the festival - sometimes 25 walk from the gate 
Luck of the draw. Might be minutes from the gate. Either way I don't mind. We spent more time doing stuff in the festival this year as we plan to stay on site all day rather than being tempted to dick around at the campsite

shitty shower and toilet
Depends how good your campervan is! Shitty shower better than no shower. Portaloos in CV field generally better than any on site

huge queues for water
Get all your water sorted before you even leave for the festival. We didn't need to use the water point once.

pointless van admin through the week
What?! We didn't encounter any pointless van admin. Turn gas and everything off. Leave van. Done. Occasional refilling of water and emptying toilet.

sometimes queuing to get in/out of the festival
Never queued to get through gate C other than first thing on Wednesday

17 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

On this theme did anyone who rented a camper or similar have any trouble when returning it post festival? Were the companies flexible on the state it was returned in considering the mud?

We were fine. Just make sure you look after. It was one of the muddiest years ever and we didn't get a speck of mud on the inside thanks to the Sunday Times and just generally being careful. The outside was a bit muddy but I think they're going to expect to need to clean the outside.

ditto Jamie D's comments. Never queued for water or to be on site.

Company I rented from last year charged a small fee for 'valeting'  (think it came to about £10 pp) because we got mud all over the upholstery. they said mud was fine on the floor but would need special cleaning for seats etc. This was mainly caused by us piling in as we dashed for the exit after getting towed out. Could have been avoided if we were more careful.

Just rented one from Easirent, £995 for the whole week, c/w 2 gas bottles. Between 4 people that's a decent price, and a good sized motorhome, 1 double bed and 2 single bunks. Plus you're allowed to pitch a tent next to your motorhome, so bring a small one and use it to keep muddy stuff in.

Any ideas of when the tickets normally go on sale?

Edited by StePotts
typo

Buy your own.  For a grand you can buy a quite decent second hand trailer tent or caravan and you've then got something for other festivals and holidays.

Trailer tents are great for festivals.  Easy to tow and store (mine lived in mother in law's garage).  

A caravan takes a bit more towing but you get the hang of it. Just make sure when buying that you check for damp.

Campers and Motorhomes are different.  Motorhomes are big bucks for anything half decent.  Campers are fine if you can afford to tax, insure and MoT them and make use of them the rest of the year, though often they're not much more than a small tent on wheels.

Going on a festival using a camper van or motorhome is a very good idea because of two reasons: it is a comfortable mode of transport and it has everything you need in one place. Simply put, it is a van with berths, kitchen, portable bathroom, and battery that could last for hours. This is cosy place to spend the night in, and you wouldn’t have to rent a cottage or hotel room anymore. You can check out some companies that has campervan hire London based services.