Is it time to put up prices significantly?

Grumpy_Haggis

7 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Entries to Lonfon Marathon is/was on a ballot system, with a neat little mechanism  where 4 unsuccessful ballots guarantees entry next time. Some fiddling with the details and it maybe it could work for glasto.

Probably wouldn't work, John:

The London Marathon ended their guaranteed-entry-after-five-failed-ballots in 2010, because they couldn't accommodate the sheer number of 5-time failures in each year. Essentially, so popular was the marathon that mathematically no-one would get a place from the ballot, as all places would eventually be taken up by 5-time-failers! Given Glastonbury's incredible popularity, it wouldn't take long before many/most of each year's places would be taken up by 4/5-time ballot failers. Then, if your best mates were out of fail-sync with you, you'd always end up on your own!

:)

Ben

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

The London Marathon ended their guaranteed-entry-after-five-failed-ballots in 2010, because they couldn't accommodate the sheer number of 5-time failures in each year. Essentially, so popular was the marathon that mathematically no-one would get a place from the ballot, as all places would eventually be taken up by 5-time-failers! Given Glastonbury's incredible popularity, it wouldn't take long before many/most of each year's places would be taken up by 4/5-time ballot failers. Then, if your best mates were out of fail-sync with you, you'd always end up on your own!

Ben

I doff my cap (shit does that make me a posho?) to some good knowledge there, still beats the OPs suggestion though :P

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

and it'll still sell out as quickly as the servers at see allow it, cause it'll still be the best festival in the world 

@bennyhana22 i take it you got a ticket benjamin?

I did, Mez - a lovely eFester got me a coach ticket on Thursday. I then made myself even happier by getting a group of five camp friends theirs this morning - genuinely as exciting as knowing I'd got one myself!

You sorted, Mez? Assuming yes, need an early start on planning those nights...I predict heavy activity on the Elec/Dance thread come the spring!

I'm looking to outdo myself next year and try to do all nighters on Fri, Sat and Sun, maybe sacrificing a little bit of my ridiculous schedule in terms of the 1100h first bands of the day. Friday and Sunday this year were SOOOO good, that I want to add a full Saturday too. This year I bailed at 0330h, mainly because my feet were really suffering after 4 days of chewing gum mud...

Ben
x

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

I did, Mez - a lovely eFester got me a coach ticket on Thursday. I then made myself even happier by getting a group of five camp friends theirs this morning - genuinely as exciting as knowing I'd got one myself!

You sorted, Mez? Assuming yes, need an early start on planning those nights...I predict heavy activity on the Elec/Dance thread come the spring!

I'm looking to outdo myself next year and try to do all nighters on Fri, Sat and Sun, maybe sacrificing a little bit of my ridiculous schedule in terms of the 1100h first bands of the day. Friday and Sunday this year were SOOOO good, that I want to add a full Saturday too. This year I bailed at 0330h, mainly because my feet were really suffering after 4 days of chewing gum mud...

Ben
x

That's brilliant, that's what Glastonbury and Efests is all about. 

Yep my group are all sorted, just the small matter of the wait until june to through ideas about who's going to be playing around in my head constantly, but that's all part of the fun really.

i never saw anyone this side of about 3pm this year except the Syrians and Skepta, i was full night shots Fri/Sat/Sun id much rather do that and sacrifice some of the early activities. 

My early contender for electro/dance hopes is Joseph Capriati to be the crowning jewel in Techno Fridays at Arcadia id love it to be true 

9 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

That's brilliant, that's what Glastonbury and Efests is all about. 

Yep my group are all sorted, just the small matter of the wait until june to through ideas about who's going to be playing around in my head constantly, but that's all part of the fun really.

i never saw anyone this side of about 3pm this year except the Syrians and Skepta, i was full night shots Fri/Sat/Sun id much rather do that and sacrifice some of the early activities. 

My early contender for electro/dance hopes is Joseph Capriati to be the crowning jewel in Techno Fridays at Arcadia id love it to be true 

Will look him out. Friday at Arcadia in 2015 was unreal. Slightly disappointed that the Spider's line-up just didn't fit my plan this year. Would love to have seen Daniel Avery...

So pleased you're all sorted, me old chum.

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Will look him out. Friday at Arcadia in 2015 was unreal. Slightly disappointed that the Spider's line-up just didn't fit my plan this year. Would love to have seen Daniel Avery...

Ben

5 seconds in and I'm sold.

Make it so, Mez!

Ben

15 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

5 seconds in and I'm sold.

Make it so, Mez!

Ben

its some real good staunch techno, it would be tremendous on the spider. I saw Daniel Avery, though admittedly my misbehaviour leaves me with a rather blurred memory, so im off to see im in subclub in December to rekindle the memories :)

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

This I like.  £300 and above would be pricing me out of the festival, as it is I save like a bastard for months to cover the cost of ticket, travel and spending money.  Come June my DNA is about 50% ramen noodle.

In an ideal world where it wasn't open to huge abuse, a ticket would be 1% of your annual income...

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't think Glastonbury is that over-subscribed. I mean, next year will be my 13th consecutive festival. Even though it's only been a challenge for the last ten. Never had to resort even to the resale for my own ticket. I'm not magic. I am lucky. But not that lucky. If the festival was over-subscribed by a factor of five then the chances of getting tickets even five years in a row would be over 1 in 3000. 

I think the reality is closer to 50% oversubscribed at best. Then again, that doesn't account for how many more might be interested in going if getting a ticket wasn't so difficult.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Then again, that doesn't account for how many more might be interested in going if getting a ticket wasn't so difficult.

This is one of my problems with the suggestion of a ballot system, the way things are right now requires you to put a bit of effort into getting tickets, if it was just a case of say having a couple of weeks to enter your details into a ballot then is suspect the would be far people attempting to get tickets. This would make it harder to get tickets but also I think it may have an effect on the crowd in terms of a much higher proportion of who aren't into the music or the ethos of the festival trying to go just because it's seen as a cool thing to do. 

17 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Imagine a festival full of people who, as they have pots of money, can attend and tick it off their 'bucket list'.
Loads of people ignoring the music, talking and taking selfies. Little or no decent atmosphere and traders who put up their prices as they know the punters will pay anything they ask.

Quite horrible.

I would love some kind of rewards scheme in place to reward thoughtful kind caring people but then I would love that in the real world as well.

Did you not think the festival was heading that way last year? The number of people pushing in taking selfies and fucking off was ridiculous. Worthy view attracting festival goers who can't cope with camping in the main festival doesn't help either ( I know this has been argued to death )

Aside from this price debate, I think the amount of tickets floating around outside of the 120k for general admission is obscene. Obviously I don't have the figures but you've got all the hospitality ones for people who work "in the industry" All the tickets given away to suppliers and contractors. Basically they could shave a lot of tickets off from the hangers on and make a lot more available to Joe public who just really want to go.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Aside from this price debate, I think the amount of tickets floating around outside of the 120k for general admission is obscene. Obviously I don't have the figures but you've got all the hospitality ones for people who work "in the industry" All the tickets given away to suppliers and contractors. Basically they could shave a lot of tickets off from the hangers on and make a lot more available to Joe public who just really want to go.

But they couldn't because that's where the money is

Glastonbury can't afford to reduce the number of corportates and Worthy View-ers

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

But they couldn't because that's where the money is

Glastonbury can't afford to reduce the number of corportates and Worthy View-ers

I thought you had to have a festival ticket already to book Worthy View? or are you saying these are special privilege tickets you get just for booking Worthy View and can avoid the ticket day stress?