Is it time to put up prices significantly?

Grumpy_Haggis

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine a festival full of people who, as they have pots of money, can attend and tick it off their 'bucket list'.
Loads of people ignoring the music, talking and taking selfies. Little or no decent atmosphere and traders who put up their prices as they know the punters will pay anything they ask.

Quite horrible.

I would love some kind of rewards scheme in place to reward thoughtful kind caring people but then I would love that in the real world as well.

Honestly I expected it to be more expensive this year. Considering the post-referendum drop in the value of the UK pound, getting any acts from abroad is going to cost a bit more than it would have done otherwise. I was expecting it to be about £250 + fees this year, just to cover that (and the usual £5-10 price increase from last year).

16 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Imagine a festival full of people who, as they have pots of money, can attend and tick it off their 'bucket list'.
Loads of people ignoring the music, talking and taking selfies. Little or no decent atmosphere and traders who put up their prices as they know the punters will pay anything they ask.

Quite horrible.

I would love some kind of rewards scheme in place to reward thoughtful kind caring people but then I would love that in the real world as well.

Yes I went to BST in Hyde Park once

Expanding the 'green travellers early bird' scheme to include coach travellers (and maybe at a push people who train it down) wouldn't be the worst idea. They should definitely make coach tickets a higher proportion of the overall 135,000 if it's at all logistically possible too.  But if they're going to change anything, surely setting aside a bucketload of tickets for people on low incomes should be the first thing.

Edited by Zac Quinn

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Troll surely?

Demand outstrips supply, making it more expensive would just benefit people like you (people who presumably didn't get a ticket but could afford to pay more) making it cheaper would probably benefit the festival more, demand would go even higher but the demographics would widen even more

Sorry if i have caused offence - not my intention at all. It is classic economics that when demand outpaces supply then pricing goes up and demand this morning seemed extremely high.

Thank you for your analysis of who i am - completely wrong and am looking forward to enjoying the Festival in June - maybe see you for a pint in the Bimble :)

10 minutes ago, Grumpy_Haggis said:

Yes I went to BST in Hyde Park once

Once is all most need there - would you want Glastonbury turning into something like that where you have to register and then queue for smaller stages? The thought does not bear thinking about.

37 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Nope, this idea seems a bit against the whole nature of the festival. The pricing is good as it is.

I think they only way they could change the ticket buying system (which tbf is pretty fair) is by rewarding people that backup their camping site at the end of the previous festival, by giving those people access to a small early bird sale 2 weeks before the main one. I'm not sure exactly how this would be done as it would be open to abuse too, but say you have packed up your camp, then when leaving a steward could tag off against your registration number for the early bird access. As I said it probably wouldn't work though. 

I like this idea in relation to keeping the farm clean but it doesn't really making the ticket buying system fairer as it just penalises those who were unable to get tickets in the year they brought your suggestion in.

I am devastated at missing out today, I'm lucky enough to be able to afford tickets at double the price if needed and would usually pay double for an experience of the quality Glastonbury offers.

Except in the case of Glastonbury itself. Massively increasing the price would irreversibly change the essence of the festival and there is not a chance I'd go. 

16 minutes ago, Grumpy_Haggis said:

Sorry if i have caused offence - not my intention at all. It is classic economics that when demand outpaces supply then pricing goes up and demand this morning seemed extremely high.

Thank you for your analysis of who i am - completely wrong and am looking forward to enjoying the Festival in June - maybe see you for a pint in the Bimble :)

Well I didn't get tickets, but I'm fortunate that if it was £300 I could afford it and of course it would make it easier for me, it doesn't mean I think it's the right thing to do, if absolutely isn't.

54 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Nope, this idea seems a bit against the whole nature of the festival. The pricing is good as it is.

I think they only way they could change the ticket buying system (which tbf is pretty fair) is by rewarding people that backup their camping site at the end of the previous festival, by giving those people access to a small early bird sale 2 weeks before the main one. I'm not sure exactly how this would be done as it would be open to abuse too, but say you have packed up your camp, then when leaving a steward could tag off against your registration number for the early bird access. As I said it probably wouldn't work though. 

If people take advantage of Oxfam etc tickets just to get access then it everything is open to abuse .  We met two females years ago that admitted to doing a runner from Oxfam within hours of getting there on the Weds .  Shame on em ! 

Blimey, I wouldn't be able to do anything like that. Some people hey.

As TomViolence said though it does penalise people that couldn't goo the year before so maybe my idea isn't the best. I think you are always going to get people that haven't got tickets thinking this is unfair, it's just natural. You certainly can't go putting the price up to limit demand though. 

28 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

I like this idea in relation to keeping the farm clean but it doesn't really making the ticket buying system fairer as it just penalises those who were unable to get tickets in the year they brought your suggestion in.

did you get a tick tom?

If the trend of ticket price rises continue then next fest will be over £250, maybe more given the fallow in between. I think at that point I'm out. 'Had a great run but its time for someone else to have a go' sort of area, maybe go to some small fests or do something different.

It's a brilliant place and amazing value, but I'll certainly make the best of next year as I'm sort of expecting it to be the last. The demand for tix certainly won't suffer for a long time though, the amount of people disappointed after each sale is pretty staggering.