Where else can I go

Mich1268

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True - but Glastonbury also has all the carnival and soundsystem and klezmer stuff, alongside the pop and rock.  Boomtown's like a subset, rather than a whole different thing.

calling it a subset is doing it a disservice, I'd say. After all, there's quite a narrow range of stuff you can do around putting bands on stages, which is why all festivals have many similarities.

"Boomtown has done a very good job at finding a new niche and growing it" would be no less accurate than the subset thing, I reckon.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, eFestivals said:

It works for me. :D

Phew, me too.

It is tricky that it's had to change in some aspects, but as we've said before it had to happen one way or another.

I'm glad it's been there, life simply wouldn't have been the same without it.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:57 PM, eFestivals said:

And i'd say that Beyonce is more Take That than Blur on the two sides of pop, and the Take That side of things was an area where Glastonbury didn't really stray. (If it was then they'd have probably had Take That 20 years ago :P)

Robbie twenty years ago doesn't count because he didn't headline?

I think there were a fair few mediocre things back when I started going, whether acts that played too many times for my liking (eg. hothouse flowers and james) or were more pop orientated than some of the audience wanted (eg aswad).  Either way, everything went down pretty well then as it does now.

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2016 at 8:36 AM, russycarps said:

Robbie williams first album (which is all he had released when he played) was largely a 'rock' album. He didn't go and do a load of take that songs.

Not only that, he was trying to define himself as a 'Glastonbury' in opposition to pop acts like Take That, what with his decision to leave seemingly made at Glastonbury during his backstage shenanigans with Liam Gallagher.

Like it or not, we've now passed beyond that sort of tribalism.

As even this walking parody noted in recent days.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/richard-ashcroft-id-rather-rihanna-90-critically-acclaimed-shit-1932481

Albeit he's barking up the wrong tree in supposing that most modern indie music gets better critical notices than Rihanna.

We enjoyed EOTR last year. As said on here it's a very laid back tiny Glastonbury with the music on the Park/Avalon side although they seem to love Americana too much for my liking. I found it hard to get very excited about any of the acts. Liked Savages and that band the Ferris from the Horrors was in which was something different. Loved the real ale tents and the setting is really nice. Camping nice and easy no stress and no rushing about. The weather could have been better after being told that they hadn't had any rain over the previous few years we picked the year when they had the most, sods law!

No ticket again for G for the second time around , just when Radiohead are doing the Pyramid, just my luck after 6 straight waiting for them to appear. So we might do EOTR again as it falls nicely at the end of the summer or try another, festival NO6 appeals but it is very far away and who can trust the weather in South wales!

I will be trying in the resale as with thousands of others, I am not very hopeful, fingers crossed.

Edited by ghandi