Where else can I go

Mich1268

6 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Wow, this looks like something else. Although there's a fine line between genuine great vibbed hippy festival and pretentious wannabee hippy festival, and it's hard to tell without actually being there. You been?

for a European hippie festival you should also check out Boom or Lost Theory

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Wow, this looks like something else. Although there's a fine line between genuine great vibbed hippy festival and pretentious wannabee hippy festival, and it's hard to tell without actually being there. You been?

Not personally always fancied it but never quite had the funds/will as of yet....I think it's part yoga retreat part music so definetly not your average festival.

I've been looking at the alternatives and I always come to the same conclusion, they're just not the same and not as good :( 

That said we've all decided to go to Secret Garden Party, it's one I've not been too so at least we have something lined up.

I had resigned myself to not going because I couldn't face the wait until the resales, but I've decided to make peace with it and presume I'm not going but also definitely try in the resale because I can't mentally make that decision that I definitely won't be there. I'm also toying with the idea of selling my soul and going down the glamping with tickets route, I'm that desperate to get rid of this miserable feeling that I'd honestly go there.

8 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Has anyone been to Rock Werchter? The line up every year looks fabulous, but I've no idea what the vibe is like - friendly and daft like Glastonbury or young and dumb like Reading?
(disclaimer - I go to Reading almost every year since it's local, and the issue is that it's a right-of-passage for so many 16yr old GCSE students that are drunk for the first time and become a wee [yes, wee] bit feral)

Its a great festival but its is focused on music only - not much to do else. there are 3 stages, the smaller ones (10k and 15k) are rotating as they're 2 minutes distance from each other and the huge main stage is 5-7 minutes walking from them. People are very nice and chilled, and the atmosphere is great, especially in the tents. Music ends between 01:00-02:30 and recently I know that there is a party in the 'official' campsite though I dont know how good it is.

Campsites are located 15-20 minutes from the festival area. You can also sleep in B&B or Hotels in Leuven which is a small and quiet city, located 20 minutes train ride from Brussels. The festival operates free shuttles which runs regulary back and forth. Its 20 minutes shuttle ride (+15 minutes walk to the shuttle station from the festival area / camping area).

If anybody has more questions about Rock Werchter I'll be happy to help.

As a metal fan im looking at wacken open air in germany sometime over next few years, people say downloads europes biggest metal festival but I think wacken takes the crown (especially if your into less commercal but heavier acts), I like what ive read as well how the festival kind of becomes an extension of the wacken village and the whole village joins in with the fun getting into the spirit etc 

oh and german beer!

Edited by waterfalls212434

11 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I've been looking at the alternatives and I always come to the same conclusion, they're just not the same and not as good :( 

it's horses for courses of course ... but Boomtown is better. Seriously.

While I still absolutely love it, Glasto has become a bloated middle aged man in comparison to the lively spring chicken that is Boomtown. My only problem with boomtown is that I'm not 30 years younger to make the most of it.

13 hours ago, e2p2 said:

Its a great festival but its is focused on music only - not much to do else. there are 3 stages, the smaller ones (10k and 15k) are rotating as they're 2 minutes distance from each other and the huge main stage is 5-7 minutes walking from them. People are very nice and chilled, and the atmosphere is great, especially in the tents. Music ends between 01:00-02:30 and recently I know that there is a party in the 'official' campsite though I dont know how good it is.

Campsites are located 15-20 minutes from the festival area. You can also sleep in B&B or Hotels in Leuven which is a small and quiet city, located 20 minutes train ride from Brussels. The festival operates free shuttles which runs regulary back and forth. Its 20 minutes shuttle ride (+15 minutes walk to the shuttle station from the festival area / camping area).

If anybody has more questions about Rock Werchter I'll be happy to help.

Brilliant - thanks for this reply.

I love the glastonbury vibe but ultimately it's the music for me, so this really helps. Also, it looks like they've set up 2 of the small stages a bit like the Sonisphere large stages (RIP Sonisphere... I do download for my metal fix now.).

Pinkpop v. Werchter? 

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Brilliant - thanks for this reply.

I love the glastonbury vibe but ultimately it's the music for me, so this really helps. Also, it looks like they've set up 2 of the small stages a bit like the Sonisphere large stages (RIP Sonisphere... I do download for my metal fix now.).

Pinkpop v. Werchter? 

If its about the music for you then Werchter is an excellent choice. Another plus Werchter has is the different size some acts has there compare to the size they have in the UK. For example, Foals played in a tent at 18:00 while subbing at Glastonbury and the amount of Belgium or Dutch acts are small.

I never been to Pinkpop but I know some things as I follow closely. There are 4 stages, Music starts later then Werchter and they have a curfew so no music is played after 23:45. That also means that there's no party acts playing in the dark after the headliner as Werchter does for 2-3 nights (sunset is after 22:00). Usually they share at least 2 out of three headliners with Werchter (last year all three) and its undercard is far more weaker than Werchter, despite being a 3-days festival unlike Werchter which is a 4-days festival.

Pinkpop biggest plus the way I see it is that they have 2 main stages that alternates like Sonisphere but keep in mind that this other main stage attracts usually smaller names and a big part of its headliner set is in daylight.

In the International festivals forum here there are a few Belgians/Dutch guys in the Rock Werchter 2017 topic that Im sure have spent time at both so they might help more than me.

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it's horses for courses of course ... but Boomtown is better. Seriously.

While I still absolutely love it, Glasto has become a bloated middle aged man in comparison to the lively spring chicken that is Boomtown. My only problem with boomtown is that I'm not 30 years younger to make the most of it.

Thanks, that's really good to know. I think I may struggle to do it as well as SGP which is a must, because it falls on a friends 30th and that's what they want to do, however boomtown falls very close to my own birthday so that's excuse enough!

I've heard very good things though, none more so that your comments, if I can find something I enjoy close to as much as G it will be good to have something that removes the rollercoaster stress of ticket day and ticket day failure!

I'll rally my troops and see if I can persuade them!

On 10/10/2016 at 9:37 AM, jackarmy said:

We camped at Sziget for a full week, proper roughed it - and I'll admit that it did kill my insides! Great festival though, but I'd probably look to get an apartment if I went again - Budapest is a great city, and there's so much to do outside of the festival!

On 10/10/2016 at 10:56 AM, Noeliam said:

In 2016 we camped for the first time the full 10 days!! It's incredible! a 7 days pass is a must if you want a good (well decorated, not on the road, with some lights if possible) camping spot, adding 3 days before also helps you get the perfect spot, and you familiarize yourself with the location (not as big as glasto but it's big). 

Sounds quality to be fair - def a strong contender for 2018 and by the sounds of it doing the full week is the way forward.

Plus i've never been to Budapest before so no excuse really! 

• 1 month later...

Quick reminder for those who wants to see Radiohead and Arcade Fire in the same festival  (Best Kept Secret, Netherlands) - Tickets at sale Tomorrow at 10a.m NL time. It will sell out real quick as it is a small (8k daily tickets, 25k capacity) festival with very good reputation, and currently one of only two festivals who has both on the bill.

edit - http://www.bestkeptsecret.nl/en/#tickets & good luck for those who will try!

Edited by e2p2

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Seems they go through this every decade or so? Same was said in 07/08 wasn't it? Dunno about the mid to late 90s.

This new area Emily has spoken about will be interesting. 

It's worse than just that, as far as I can see. 

Tho perhaps you're right, really. Like so many things, there's a coming together before exploding into a thousand pieces, before it all comes back together again.

But for the music scene I'm finding it hard to see where the coming together again is going to come from. There's the 6music-ers over 'here' and there's the new-music-ers over 'there', with less and less interest in each other's world. And shrinking worlds too, as the oldies die off and so few 'superstars' in anything new.

There was a report a year ago, that said one in ten festies would die in 2016, and it's happened. It's looking like the same or even worse for next year.

'Peak festival' was never going to be sustained, but I think it's a bit more than just that. It's more a death of music, or 'a music scene'. 

Culture's less tribal now.  Youth cults have gone pretty much the way of the dodo.  The last big example that springs to mind - Emo - looks like it was the last twitch of the corpse.

But I honestly dunno if that's a bad thing.  People are more open minded now and less likely to stay in their lane as, say, a mod or a rocker.  It feels like there's less prejudice and more of a willingness to engage with variety and diversity.

Peak festival has indeed gone, but as a Glastonbury punter I've not noticed any impact in either the quality of what's on offer, the demographics that attend or the popularity of the fest.

It's obviously different to what it was like 30 years ago, but 10 years ago?  Not really.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Culture's less tribal now.  Youth cults have gone pretty much the way of the dodo.  The last big example that springs to mind - Emo - looks like it was the last twitch of the corpse.

But I honestly dunno if that's a bad thing.  People are more open minded now and less likely to stay in their lane as, say, a mod or a rocker.  It feels like there's less prejudice and more of a willingness to engage with variety and diversity.

Peak festival has indeed gone, but as a Glastonbury punter I've not noticed any impact in either the quality of what's on offer, the demographics that attend or the popularity of the fest.

It's obviously different to what it was like 30 years ago, but 10 years ago?  Not really.

I agree with much of what you've said, but you've missed out the fleeting interest part that comes with everything being so accessible and the ability to fulfil an immediate demand, particular with so many self-serving bubbles. I don't think that's any less part of things than the 'less tribal, more variety and diversity'.

And yep, the demographics at Glastonbury are changed from ten years ago, just as they're changed from the ten years before that. It's now quite common to see people say they're taking their parents, or even grannies, when that was a new and more minor thing a decade ago, and never happened ten before that.

I can't say I personally have ever 'got involved' with helping make the festival what it is (was?) - so this comes back on me too - but I feel it's become more of a spectator sport as the years have gone by, and less of a gathering.

I'm not thinking it's going to die on its arse next time round, but I wouldn't be too surprised if popularity drops away quite sharply in 5 years time or so ... then again, I've said in the past that it's possibly one wet one away from near-death, and there's certainly no sign of that after this year.

On 10/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, craigb said:

Another vote for BoomTown Fair. Think stages and set up of Shangri-La / Block9 / Common on a much larger scale. 

Boomtown is a lot more creative and immersive than Glasto I'd say. The stages are so impressive.

1440500904-z-1boomtown-galleries-1-ss-00

There are "streets" like shangri la with loads of venues and little secrets all over the site.

1440500809-wboomtown-scottsalt-wildwest-

The festival site is vast, hilly in places, wooded areas - gives it real character and separates the different areas/themes. 

1440500875-woods-thursday-scottsalt-hidd

Food and drink on offer rivals glastonbury. Every area has a theme and filled with actors and theatre performers that bring it alive. The crowd / festival goers are very diverse. The night time entertainment and whats on offer if fantastic.  

Prob never beat glasto on depth of music with any festival to be fair. 

There are other "grass roots" smaller festivals that people have mentioned.

Y Not Festival is one of my fav smaller festivals. Always decent line up for the price. 

wow thanks for these photos. This place sounds and looks just incredible. I will never go - I'm simply too old - but if I was 18-21 I would be going nowhere near glastonbury and would be all over this. 

Better go quick though, as it surely wont be long before this place gets polluted by loads of middle-aged rich people.