Taking my rents to their first Glasto...59 and 60!

Thunderstruck

So, my parents have decided they want to go to glastonbury. They will be 59 and 60 next year, in decent shape I guess, not massively fit but do their fair share of walking. Any tips on how to make the experience easier for them? I'm sure they are gonna love it, just suddenly hit me that my parents are getting on a bit! 

We got Thursday coach tickets, tempted to try Worthy View for them.

Camplight might be an option, in that you can get pre erected tents and the option of hiring camp beds and the like. It has the real advantage of not having to climb a huge hill to get there. If they have the cash to spare you can get caravans/campervans delivered to the East CV parks. I think it's about £7/800 from what I remember. 

Edited by musky

Congrats on getting tickets! I've not stayed at worthy view but there is always talk of the killer hill to climb to get back up there, folks who have will probably be able to comment, so this could be an issue. Having said that it may be the only option unless you look at some of the offsite glamping stuff which will obviously be expensive, because having coach tickets you won't be able to buy a campervan ticket, and hiring a campervan would've been a decent alternative to worthy view.

As others have said, that hill to Worthy View is a killer. I don't know what getting to Tangerine Fields is like but that may be a better option. If not, arriving on Thursday will limit your options so you'll probably have a lengthy walk to your camping spot anyway.

Air bed or similar would be esential and probably a couple of camping chairs.

I say this like they're ancient, they're only 10 years older than me. 

Depending on what they want to see but I'd point them in direction of Avalon, T&C, Acoustic and West Holts.

5 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Worthy View is great, it's changed my festival - car park is right next to the camp, showers, no looking for a camping spot. 

Good on you for taking your folks. Mine did their first in 2010 at roughly that age and they've been every year since!

They've been wanting to go for years but never took the plunge! This time I rang them up and said get your registration done and we'll have a go! Worthy view looks great, just all the comments about the hill that seem like a problem...but I don't imagine it's really that bad doing it once a day?

S'alright, my folks got to 60 and decided they wanted to go (2010). They loved it, had a blast and it was really good for our relationship. They've been every year since, although i fear 2016 finished them off, don't think they,ll be back

46 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

So, my parents have decided they want to go to glastonbury. They will be 59 and 60 next year, in decent shape I guess, not massively fit but do their fair share of walking. Any tips on how to make the experience easier for them? I'm sure they are gonna love it, just suddenly hit me that my parents are getting on a bit! 

We got Thursday coach tickets, tempted to try Worthy View for them.

bloody big hill to go up and down every day old son.......wait  till the line up is out and do just a little planning...you cant plan to much at glasto but it does help to have your CANT miss things sorted and see wot happens inbetween ......good on you btw wish my old man was young enough and interested enough to take him ..he just thinks were nuts lol

17 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

They've been wanting to go for years but never took the plunge! This time I rang them up and said get your registration done and we'll have a go! Worthy view looks great, just all the comments about the hill that seem like a problem...but I don't imagine it's really that bad doing it once a day?

From what I've read, a lot of people take a rest halfway up or stop off at strummerville for a cuppa/beer. 

Hmm I'd hate to think I was seen as old at your parents' age - I started going in my late 40s in 2008 so you can do the maths!  It's not age but health problems that would cause issues, and from what you say they should be fine. Like anyone going for the first time they'll be shocked by the sheer size of the festival, the long drops and the mud (which of course there won't be next year), so a bit of planning to decide on their must-sees and allow time for bimbling is a good idea. Well done getting tickets and what a wonderful experience to share with your parents. One of my many regrets about leaving it so late to start going to Glastonbury is that mine weren't around to share it.

54 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I am 62 and have had two heart attacks/strokes so I wont be running any marathons but I am still able to work at it each year - I am sure I read that there was a Worthy View shuttle bus now at to the running times I don't have a clue as I camp in the crew area.

and here is a link { double check this closer to the time }

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-bus/

half the way down

Festival Bus Station – Worthy View Campsite Shuttle Service GF5 { 2016 details }

Shuttle between Festival Bus Station and Worthy View. This is a free service for guests staying at Worthy View. The service operates from Wednesday to Monday.

Now I have friends who camp in Worthy View and they are far younger than me and they struggle to get up it ' even when the path is dry ' - sure they will plan to only do it once per day { and store stuff in the lockers } but in the past a few of them felt a bit knackered and they went back for a cat nap and never came back down again that day.  

trust me when you see it ' you will soon work out why its a killer ' and even if they are dead fit I bet they take the shuttle service the next day - yes I know it ends early but it may be the best option.

I know that I would not even attempt it having seen it from a distance .

so you have to take that into consideration before making any bookings.

someone must have a shot of it - its a real shame it so high up but again you then do have the view across the site .

Well worthy view is quite a hike. Lovefields is more expensive but unbelievably close to the theatre area which is a nice laid back start and end to day. Also not far from pyramid. And very close to acoustic tent. We put tent up at lovefields. Loads of space in the field and green despite the rain

I'll be 55 next year and the only issue I've had with Glasto is the mud - I can cope with the long drops, late nights, crowds etc.

But this year the mud was sapping, I'd had enough by 1AM most nights, didn't help that our CV was stuck at Bath & West so we had to trudge to Pedestrian Gate A to get bus to/from site.

Provided they're fit (I walked 78 Miles in 2015 and over 50 this year on just Fri/Sat/Sun) and don't get upset seeing people off their tits on whatever then they'll be fine.

Renting a Campervan might be a good option - even trudging through thick mud is OK if you get a good nights sleep.

My parents are 65 and 69 and have been to the past four (2013 was their first). They love it! They do camp in disabled with me and my (disabled) hubby. They apply for the facilities themselves now as my dad can't walk or stand for very long because of a chronic back problem. So campervan/WV or similar might be a good option if you're worried that might not get on with regular camping.

Even If you have coach tickets you can still access the CV fields. You could contact one of the companies that pre-sites caravans in one of the fields and then collects it after the festival. Best of both worlds.

That's what a friend of ours did last year, he had coach ticket, some other friends got tickets too, they rented a CV & drove it down & he pitched his tent in the arena. All his beer, food clothes were in the CV so he'd make daily trips out for supplies.

Edited by Penrhos

I've been taking my parents for the last 4 years.  They are both 62 this year.  They love it.  They carry their camping chairs around so they have somewhere to sit and spend a lot of time in the avalon bar!  Last year was hard for both of them in the mud but they were great!  Still loved it!  They have a motorhome so they stay in East Campervan field and both find the "hill of death" manageable.  

To be totally honest there were a few days over the years they have got back to the tent/van later than me!!  Age is but a number, they will love it!

Thanks for all the replies guys! Some great tips here - My girlfriend has suggested the tipi village, It looks great but comes at a price that's for sure! 

Great to hear how many people have been with their parents too, Can't wait to see them when they get there. I remember my first time, I was amazed! Fingers crossed the weather gods are kinder this year.