Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In retrospect I had a really good festival!

ate well, danced my arse off and saw some cracking bands. Mud was a ball ache and contributed to a few decisions wing made for me in relation to the stages I stayed at. Loved the new JP area and spent a lot of time there, Sigur Ros, Fat Boy and LCD were huge highlights.

would have liked to explore more, but apart from that a great year on the whole

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You get walls of chairs whatever the weather, but people probably are genuinely less likely to go wandering around in the mud than they are when the going is firm underfoot.

True. But when its 2010 or Paul Simon 2011 hot people tend to buy a cider and sit down. Throw in a hangover and the Park is a long way away.

As it is in the mud obviously. 

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Growler is great for loading up on carbs for a whole day's drinking though. Had one just after James on the friday and didn't need to eat again all day.

You should try the Welsh Oggie stall mate :P

Dont need to eat for quite some time after one of them bad boys.

Edited by mungo57
Fat thumbs

4 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I found being drunk helped with the mud, not just because it bothered me less, but drunk me just charged ahead as if I was walking on grass. Sober me was carefully watching my stepping in case I fell and this caused me more issues.

Ah now, that was true.  The combination of being pissed and in wellies rather than walking boots meant I was happily ploughing through the shin-deep liquid mud and bypassing the proper sticky stuff.  Made good ground that way.

4 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

You should try the Welsh Oggie stall mate :P

Dont need to eat for quite some time after one of them bad boys.

No wonder the rest of the world are horrified by the food in this neck of the woods. The Scots would have an inedible part of a pig for £6 and an Irish stall would probably serve mashed carrots and turnips or something. 

There are starving children in Sub-Saharan Africa who would rightfully turn their nose up at some of the meals being posted on here. 

Can we start a petition to ban both the Growler and the Oggie? 

14 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I found being drunk helped with the mud, not just because it bothered me less, but drunk me just charged ahead as if I was walking on grass. Sober me was carefully watching my stepping in case I fell and this caused me more issues.

Yep. Made it around very easily this year. Few glasses of wine early doors followed by a constant flow all day makes short work of any mud. 

Also people need to grow a pair in general when it comes to mud and rain. A lot of bed wetters around over the last couple of years.

5 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Having not gone last year and having read this thread, I'm far more intrigued for people to share their top lists for food stalls than festival years.

Always a challenge as, like bands, it can depend on timing, mood and, ahem, state of mind.  Hence my love of churros :)

1. Falafel & Houmous with Super Salad from West Holts.  My guaranteed go-to every year.

2. Le Rac Shack.  The moment when they scrape that melted cheese off....good Lord.

3. Toss up between the Bhangra Bus and Gandhi's Flip Flop.

4. Churros stand in the Park.  Good balance of cinnamon sugar to chocolate dipping sauce.

5. Milkshakes between Leftfield and Other.  Specifically the chocolate one.  See previous comment re: state of mind :)

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

No wonder the rest of the world are horrified by the food in this neck of the woods. The Scots would have an inedible part of a pig for £6 and an Irish stall would probably serve mashed carrots and turnips or something. 

There are starving children in Sub-Saharan Africa who would rightfully turn their nose up at some of the meals being posted on here. 

Can we start a petition to ban both the Growler and the Oggie? 

Growler yes Oggie no! Don't take my Oggie away!

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sunny weather leads to high spirits, with a higher probability of folk drinking more and getting carried away.

Folk singing, folk dancing, folk art....folk drinking, I think it's a new one but I like it :D

3 hours ago, mjsell said:

Having not gone last year and having read this thread, I'm far more intrigued for people to share their top lists for food stalls than festival years.

Jerk chicken wrap place.  There are a couple but only one is king.  Between Other and West Holts, though they deserve a better spot.  They sell other Caribbean food but I can't get past the delight of the jerk chicken!

Square Pie.  Sunday tradition for bleddy years now.  Good, solid booze-soaking grub.  Never lets us down.

(Pablo Honey)

21 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Jerk chicken wrap place.  There are a couple but only one is king.  Between Other and West Holts, though they deserve a better spot.  They sell other Caribbean food but I can't get past the delight of the jerk chicken!

Square Pie.  Sunday tradition for bleddy years now.  Good, solid booze-soaking grub.  Never lets us down.

(Pablo Honey)

Where is the square pie usually?!

Second worst after 2007 for me - eleventh festival. 

The weather although not too bad wasn't great. Mud from the off made it hard going throughout though. A couple of my regulars have dropped out the last two years although might be back this year. The line up always has plenty to see but also wasn't massively to my taste this year. 

The main thing was the mud - not being able to sit down on the grass at all, it wasn't particularly warm and the grim Sunday conditions would have seen me away if it wasn't people relying on me for a lift. I'd really had enough by then and couldn't manage to drink any more either. The weather plays a massive part for me and can make or break it.

I wasn't sure I'd be back next year but I'm already really looking forward to it again (tickets permitting). Amazing what a good rest does :D

We had a horrendous trip in.  At one point i was sitting in the mud in the orange (?) carpark with gate A in sight crying.  Our trolley was axle deep in mud -weighed down with the drinks we were bringing in for my neice and her friends - when a guy with a rucksack sauntered by quipping "2 legs better than 4 wheels".    

Gate A nearly finished us off but a lovely fit lad hauled us out the mud in the turnstile bit after the wristband tent.  We then just pitched up in the nearest semi dry patch we found.   We set up in the dark (just before midnight) in record time and without a squabble so i am really proud of that.  

On Sunday night i considered leaving early as i had heard horror stories about getting out the car parks but in the event waited until Monday and had no problems whatsoever.  Amazing the difference a couple of hours sunshine makes drying the ground out.

I asked my other half this evening how devastated (on a scale of 1-10) he would be if we didn't get tickets and his response was a 9 - so we are going for coach tickets tomorrow and travelling light.  2 legs better than 4 wheels!    

Fingers crossed and good luck on the F5 button.