Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

Now that the dust* has settled three months later - and ahead of Sunday - how does 2016 measure up?  How will posterity judge it?

Did the mud banjax it for you, or was the line-up strong enough to save it?

Was it the 'Year of Grime'?

Has La Grande Bouffe lost its allure?

Are you kicking yourself for missing Adele?

Were you feeling the new John Peel Tent?

Christine & The Queens or Skepta?

*Arf

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my point of view, it did get off to a bit of a wobbly start.

The music of the Orchestra of Syrian Musicians was generally excellent, but with the best will in the world some of the music can sound a bit mournful.  Nicely atmospheric, but hella melancholy.  Coming so soon after the Brexit announcement and kicking things off with that Portishead ABBA cover – and Damo’s speech about his ‘heavy heart’ – it wasn’t the most swingorilliant Friday morning I’ve ever had on the farm.

Then we wandered round to see La Christine (via West Holts – Bixiga 70 were fab), but due to the Other Stage delays we accidentally arrived oblivious into the aural nadir that was the conclusion of whatever it was that Blossoms thought they were doing.

Luckily, things soon picked up.

In comparison to years '14, '15 ...

For me, it was the year of the headliners - all 3 were spectacular and amongst the best acts I saw all weekend. 
The mud made it a slog - a real hard slog for those of us who like to get about the site a lot. I prepared well for it tho, being my third year. Overall, it was great.

All things considered, a 7 out of 10 for me, not the best, but still amazing. Despite the mud managed to spend some quality time in almost every of the site. (Except  La Grande Bouffe which I don't even know where it is)

Still unsure whether succumbing to the temptation of leaving on Sunday 10pm (And getting the CV out after a rapid tow) was clever or just wimping out.

I enjoyed it far more than 2015 and about the same as 2014.

Not the headliners, saw none at the Pyramid and do not regret it, just the general atmosphere of smiles during the hard work. We missed stuff we wanted to see but saw other stuff we would never have seen and loved it.

It was very hard work at times especially by Sunday evening when the legs were starting to give up.

Would not have missed it for the world mind you.

Learning curve for me.  Probably my least favourite year thus far, but that's more of a reflection on the previous goes than this one per se.

Unbelievably it was my first muddy year, so I wasn't prepared for how much of a difference it would make to getting around, seeing everything I wanted to see and being able to park my arse on the grass when I felt like stopping.  At the time it felt like a massive slog, and it's the first Sunday afternoon when I was ready to go home.

But...

With the benefit of hindsight (rose-tinted perhaps?) I thoroughly bloody enjoyed it as always. And it's left me keener than ever to go back.

Far from a vintage year for me. The journey was horrific, 16 hours from leaving home to tent up, we were 15 miles away after the first 3.5 hours. The mud made it bloody hard work and the relatively short distance from car to Gate A nearly killed me. I've resolved to buy decent walking boots and make more than one trip to the car park if we travel that way, trying for coach on Thursday. Also never camping that far out again, we dropped very soon after getting through the gates. Nice and quiet but a killer walking back at night.

The weather during the festival wasn't that bad as i recall. Some drizzle but most of the rain came down at night.

A baron wasteland as far as headliners go, even the usually reliable Avalon didn't offer up anyone I wanted to see. However, the undercard had some fantastic stuff on. 

But there is still no place I'd rather be. Better knee deep in mud and knackered at Glastonbury than watching it on the telly at home. My eldest came with us for the first timr this year and he loved it despite the conditions. There's so much we didn't do and see because of the mud, ticket and weather gods permitting, I can't wait to get back.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2017 had better make good with the firm footing to allow for better exploratory possibilities.

I made the effort and didn't miss anything I really wanted to see - at least, I think not - but there was a lot of wading involved.

It wasn't so much an effort thing for me as much as the time it was taking to get through, both because of the mud and the slow-moving crowds it was causing.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

But there is still no place I'd rather be. Better knee deep in mud and knackered at Glastonbury than watching it on the telly at home. My eldest came with us for the first timr this year and he loved it despite the conditions. There's so much we didn't do and see because of the mud, ticket and weather gods permitting, I can't wait to get back.

Very much so.  Except for the fact that I don't have an eldest.

2015 was my favorite year of all time, so, like Gonzo, 2016 had a lot to live up to.

Even though the atmosphere was generally brilliant, I didn't manage to see half of what I would have liked to after dark. I spent one night in the naughty corner and instantly regretted that decision as I found it claustrophobic and the queues for the venues I wanted to get into were massive so I won't be making the mistake of going there again. I know that there are plenty of other options to keep me interested and I had the best night ever on Friday at The Cornish Arms dancing to  some random DJ at a bar. People were dancing on tables, drinks were flowing,  it didn't feel like forced fun in any way,  it felt brilliantly spontaneous and a true Glastonbury moment. I guess that was the moment when I realized that you don't have to go to the SE corner to have a great night out.

I did think that the weather did effect my time there. Not the festivals fault in the slightest, but the the Circus Fields is the main attraction for me and half of my favorite stages were shut because of the constant drizzle. I'm really hopeful that the weather will be better in 2017.

There seemed to be more constant, spontaneous moments for me this year. Stumbling into Michael Eavis doing karaoke on Thursday night, accidentally catching a Jarvis Cocker DJ set at StoneBridge bar (I didn't even realize he was playing!). I think I was too busy trying to recreate 2015 to realize how good those moments were at the time. I won't be making the same mistake next year. Every year is different and I think that's what makes it so special.

i've done 8 and rank them as below, but I must say that 2010, 2014, 2016 are all bunched up very close together and could be ordered any other way really.

2016 was still a great year, great time by any other experience of course, and just hope i get a ticket for next year

1. 2009

2. 2003

3. 2013

4a. 2010

4b. 2014

4c. 2016

7. 2002

8. 2004 - I realize this was a vintage year for many, but personally I had logistical and other events that made it my least pleasant one of 8 fantastic experiences overall

5 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

i've done 8 and rank them as below, but I must say that 2010, 2014, 2016 are all bunched up very close together and could be ordered any other way really.

2016 was still a great year, great time by any other experience of course, and just hope i get a ticket for next year

1. 2009

2. 2003

3. 2013

4a. 2010

4b. 2014

4c. 2016

7. 2002

8. 2004 - I realize this was a vintage year for many, but personally I had logistical and other events that made it my least pleasant one of 8 fantastic experiences overall

9. Pablo Honey

:ninja:

still had a great time but  2016 wasn't up there with my best years, 

the line up wasn't as good for me as in previous years but still plenty too see and do,

the mud killed me in the end, just the little things like being able too sit on the grass outside the avalon inn ,getting around stages and areas,  it was near impossible to walk in places! ....  I'm used to the mud , my last muddy one was 2011... it just makes things harder obviously ! 

its also the year I've finally finished with the the south east area! way too many people ,  and getting dangerous imo! 

the whole "brexit" thing ......... quite a strange atmosphere on the friday !

had more ups than downs though as usual! and  i wouldn't want to have been anywhere else!  ill be trying sunday morning as normal! 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Were you feeling the new John Peel Tent?

For me, the new JPT was a lifesaver. I liked the new spot, and The Wood next to it. In previous years, half as much rain would've made the old spot a complete mud pit, but the new area held up well. Also, on Sunday afternoon/evening, there was a run of 4 acts in a row (Mystery Jets, Bat For Lashes, Band Of Horses and Of Monsters And Men) which meant I was happy to stay at the same venue for a good few hours, giving my aching calf muscles a chance to recover. Well impressed!

It was a pretty poor year if I'm honest, not helped by some horrific personal shit the day after (we found out my wife had miscarried) which really put a downer over the whole thing and this year will always be associated with that (which is also why I'm so desperate to go next year, as I need to end that particular association and make it positive again).

Even with all that shite notwithstanding it was not a vintage year. I still smile to myself every now and then thinking how good Adele was, and Garfunkel's and Beck's sets were excellent, but so much of it was just 'meh'. Muse, Foals, ELO, LSP all left me cold. Plus I'm still gutted at missing LCD.

I had an enjoyable time but it wasn't one of my favourites. I did like the new wooded area at night (though fortunately it was relatively dry and mud free when I went) - first time in years I've spent the night time that side of the festival. 

I thought it was brilliant. The weather is quite shit, but you can't let that spoil your weekend. Had a great time, seen plenty of great stuff, the sound was very good on all of the sages I went to, and everyone was very friendly. I liked the new John Peel Area. 

A massive plus for me that I had three headliners who I really wanted to see as well. Always good when you have something at the end of each day which you're looking foward to. Underworld played the best set I've ever been to as well. 

The weather/poor ground conditions definitely set the tone for the entire weekend I thought. There was just no getting away from it and every time it seemed to be getting a bit better it'd start pissing it down again. Just made the whole thing a slog when it should've been the opposite. Still had a great time but I much preferred the 3 preceding years. A low 7/10 for me, saved overall by a select few acts I saw who are up there with the best I've seen at the festival