Elbow

MilkyJoe

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I can't remember the last time I listened to old elbow. Has it not aged well?

I don't think he can sing half the old songs anymore anyway. 

Seem to recall Guy saying he struggled with Newborn and Powder Blue when they did the Apollo shows a couple of years ago. 

46 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I've been listening to Leaders of the Free World a fair bit lately, not all that different to the more recent stuff.

I'd agree with that too. I could see why they concentrated on tracks from SSK and BARB when they first came out, but I'd like to see them bring some more of the older stuff back now.

Saw them in Brum and thought they had gone more uptempo than previous shows. There's a lot on Leaders that I could see fitting into the current setlist. 

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I've been listening to Leaders of the Free World a fair bit lately, not all that different to the more recent stuff.

Agreed. New Elbow seems more like old Elbow than the stuff in the middle. BTW, I know it seems a bit too obvious, but I genuinely think SSK is their best album. Lots of variety, great arrangements and some really nice melodies.

Asleep In The Back album-wise for me, but fave track of all-time has to be Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver nipping out Newborn, but so many other great stuff from the post Curtains Wide albums that are classics in themselves...Mardy's Sad Captains...even the new album is growing on me. much-maligned but still a great band. I'd take their last 3 records over U2's last 3.

would be a very happy camper if it's Elbow into Radiohead Fri nite

9 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

Asleep In The Back album-wise for me, but fave track of all-time has to be Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver nipping out Newborn, but so many other great stuff from the post Curtains Wide albums that are classics in themselves...Mardy's Sad Captains...even the new album is growing on me. much-maligned but still a great band. I'd take their last 3 records over U2's last 3.

would be a very happy camper if it's Elbow into Radiohead Fri nite

This is epic

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed. New Elbow seems more like old Elbow than the stuff in the middle. BTW, I know it seems a bit too obvious, but I genuinely think SSK is their best album. Lots of variety, great arrangements and some really nice melodies.

Is this true? I think I'll have a listen to the new one then. It was build a rocket boys that turned me off them, I just presumed it would be a downward spiral from then on

Edited by russycarps

this setlist from 2015 shows that they haven't forgotten the older stuff... they specifically recognised it on this tour i remember..

The challenge is that they just have a real body of work... but no doubt Seldom Seen Kid (and particularly One Day Like This at Glastonbury..) bought them new found fans.. and lets be honest, when you are touring a new album, you had best play a few track off that..

This Blue World - 00:00:11; Any Day Now - 00:08:43; Fly Boy Blue / Lunette - 00:15:32; Fugitive Motel - 00:22:53; The Bones of You - 00:29:10; Mexican Standoff - 00:35:10; One Day Like This - 00:39:13; New York Morning - 00:46:49; Real Life (Angel) - 00:53:33; Switching Off - 01:03:11; Bitten by the Tailfly - 01:08:31; Grounds For Divorce - 01:15:01; Lippy Kids - 01:21:26; The Take Off and Landing of Everything - 01:28:32; Newborn - 01:37:59; The Birds - 01:47:50; My Sad Captains - 01:57:01

Presenting elbow's full live set from Manchester Apollo, recorded in February 2015.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:30 PM, russycarps said:

Is this true? I think I'll have a listen to the new one then. It was build a rocket boys that turned me off them, I just presumed it would be a downward spiral from then on

I didn't get into Build a rocket boys at all, but the new album is pretty good.  Not Asleep in the back good but decent throughout.