Elbow

MilkyJoe

37 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Fugitive Motel and Station Approach (unlikely) are tracks that i always love hearing...

I am seeing them (with wife & two daughters) on the saturday in Hammersmith..

I love Station Approach as much as anything for it being so unusually and brilliantly in a 10/4 time signature!

Ben

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Just to confirm that I won't be giving you a downvote Dave, just for your posting a perfectly sensible and reasonable opinion that doesn't necessarily chime exactly with mine. That'd be petty, now wouldn't it...?

:)

Ben

That would be a bit harsh indeed :)

I think COT is still my favourite of theirs, though Fugitive Motel is a rank anomaly on an otherwise great album. I’ve not seem them live since their 2014 show, when I drunkenly chose them over J5 so I hope they play.  I listened to Jodrell Bank the other month and made me realise how great they are live. 

I’d love to see them play Forget Myself, they dropped it years ago but I love it. The chorus is a rouser and I love the lyrics – especially the middle eight.

Good to see them get some love on here. Their output’s inconsistent and a bit samey nowadays but they’re still one of my favourites and I’ve never grown out of them like I did with some other acts over the years. 

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

I think COT is still my favourite of theirs, though Fugitive Motel is a rank anomaly on an otherwise great album. I’ve not seem them live since their 2014 show, when I drunkenly chose them over J5 so I hope they play.  I listened to Jodrell Bank the other month and made me realise how great they are live. 

I’d love to see them play Forget Myself, they dropped it years ago but I love it. The chorus is a rouser and I love the lyrics – especially the middle eight.

Good to see them get some love on here. Their output’s inconsistent and a bit samey nowadays but they’re still one of my favourites and I’ve never grown out of them like I did with some other acts over the years. 

Child 3 and I had Forget Myself in our hour of B2B earlier Elbow tracks the other night. It is a belter. However, they never quite nailed it live for me. I think it's the dense harmonies of the chorus. I suspect Guy is singing several of those on record and, perfectly decent singers though the lads are, they never quite recreated the lushness that makes that chorus so infectious. And what's with the Fugitive Motel downer?! I love the song and, more siginicantly, think it is a perfect segue from the bombast of Fallen Angel. COT really is a masterpiece and I count myself fortunate to have seen them end a show 'properly' with Grace Under Pressure, before ODLT became the über-present behemoth that it did. It was Jupps' finest moment and a demonstration of what an outstanding drummer he is. 

Ben

8 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I'm more than confident they'll be at the festival on the Friday.

Some people are saying they are less likely to play due to the forest shows on the Saturday and Sunday but on their Feb 15 tour they played 3 times in a row at Manchester & London so that won't be an issue.

Is it not the fact that most acts playing forest shows don't turn up at Glasto, rather than the fact they'd be doing 3 shows on the bounce?

I've just bought tickets for the Manchester gig on Saturday 18th :D. Can't wait! Only ever seen them once and that was Glasto 2014, be interesting to see them in a smaller venue.

I've never listened to their older stuff pre SSK, so am going to go and have a listen as a lot of people here are saying good things about it.

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Love the lyrics to Mirrorball, the whole song really but the opening lines draw you in...

I plant the kind of kiss
That wouldn't wake a baby
On the self-same face
The wouldn't let me sleep

I thought it was about parenthood for a while, until I realised Guy didn't have any kids and I listened to the rest of the lyrics.

Having had a grandfather and now a mother with alzheimer's its "Scattered Black and Whites" for me.

A high-back chair, he sits and stares
A thousand yards and whistles marching-band
Kneeling by and speaking up
He reaches out and I take a massive hand
Disjointed tales that flit between
Short trousers and a full dress uniform
And he talks of people ten years gone
Like I've known them all my life
Like scattered black & whites

Brilliant. 

• 4 weeks later...

They did a lovely set before Arcade Fire in 2014. The Sun slowly setting behind them while Guy  was obviously in love with the Glastonbury crowd. They did the reverse wave thingy and set up up a beautiful tone in the collective consciousness of the crowd....it must have been great for Arcade fire to come on to that.

Hope that they are afforded the chance to prime the Pyramid crowd before Radiohead on Friday night.

It will be The Place to Be on planet Earth.

7 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

They did a lovely set before Arcade Fire in 2014. The Sun slowly setting behind them while Guy  was obviously in love with the Glastonbury crowd. They did the reverse wave thingy and set up up a beautiful tone in the collective consciousness of the crowd....it must have been great for Arcade fire to come on to that.

Hope that they are afforded the chance to prime the Pyramid crowd before Radiohead on Friday night.

It will be The Place to Be on planet Earth.

Whilst I'm no Elbow fan and I'd probably skip them, that really resonates with me. I remember watching it on TV in 2014 and those sweeping shots of the crowd with the sun setting in the background made it look truly magical, it certainly made me get my arse in gear to get tickets for the next year.

27 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whilst I'm no Elbow fan and I'd probably skip them, that really resonates with me. I remember watching it on TV in 2014 and those sweeping shots of the crowd with the sun setting in the background made it look truly magical, it certainly made me get my arse in gear to get tickets for the next year.

I was there and thought it was wonderful.  I may have said this earlier, but Guy Garvey seemed to have the ability to be singing to thousands of people at once, but making it feel like he was doing a personal performance just for me.

They are a band I wouldn't fork out €50 for to see but I love seeing them at Glastonbury. Saw them the last two times they were on the Pyramid, before Arcade Fire and further back before Coldplay. Would definitely see them again. Perfect band for the big stage.

I went to see them last night at Hammersmith and it was very good :) the new songs sounded great live and was good to see them not finish on One Day Like This (they finished on Grounds for Divorce instead).

Much much better than the O2 arena gig was but that goes without saying - the O2 is a bit shit really.

I still think they'll play G but if they play before Radiohead that will just seem a bit strange really.

4 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Some folks seem quietly confident they are playing, yet not even a Rumour on efests. If their any evidence? 

Got dates in the UK right around Glastonbury, but only have the Friday free. Could go either way - the dates put them in the right place, but could well just be having a day off on that Friday. Reckon they're gonna open Other myself, and really hope they're not gonna be subbing the Pyramid again