Elbow

MilkyJoe

9 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Hang on, are elbow rumoured? I loved them in 2014 and 2011!! Forgive my lack of technical knowledge but I have no idea of how to get onto the line up/rumoured page in efestivals. May someone direct me? Thanx. Was it 2015 we had a sing along at the stone circle to one day like this?? Fab moment 

Easiest way is to practice guitar or another musical instrument obsessively for a few years, start a band, write some songs and gig relentlessly. Then you'll hopefully get a record contract and get the attention of booking agents on the festival circuit.

Next, you need to leak some information to Neil about your band playing, and he'll list you as a rumour. Job done, you're on the lineup/rumoured page.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Easiest way is to practice guitar or another musical instrument obsessively for a few years, start a band, write some songs and gig relentlessly. Then you'll hopefully get a record contract and get the attention of booking agents on the festival circuit.

Next, you need to leak some information to Neil about your band playing, and he'll list you as a rumour. Job done, you're on the lineup/rumoured page.

Also, jumping up and down on Coldplay's table at an award ceremony won't do your chances any harm. Indeed, it may raise your profile and people's expectations of where you'll end up playing to a ridiculous level. 

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well thankyou kind sir ... best get practising haha :blink:

i've loved Elbow over the past decade-plus, have struggled to get into their last album or two at first, but they've eventually won me over and have stayed loyal to them.... Just started today with this one, but on initial listen through it's going to be hard task (the growing bit)...i'm still a supporter though and am one of the few on here who will be thrilled if they're on before Radiohead on the Friday, but i just miss the era when they could wow me with good music. some of the stuff on the EP last year (or was it 2015?) had me more hopeful for Little Fictions...we'll see what I think later this month.

6 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Had the new album on this morning, really enjoyed it. Good Sunday morning listening. 

Sadly (genuinely) for me, their ship has sailed in terms of them being a going concern for me. Great shame as they used to have real bite and verve, as demonstrated by Child 3 and me having a bloody brilliant hour shuffling early tracks of theirs last week. 

Poignantly, your final sentence above speaks volumes, Swedge...

:(

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

i really love Elbow.. and whilst their more recent albums seem to focus more on arrangement and production than the older stuff, they are a band that really craft a song..

Heaven forbid that Thom Yorke knocks out a catchy tune that the BBC use at every possible opportunity... It would be the death of them..

I was a late arrival to Elbow, living out the country, not hearing them on the radio etc always, so only got into them after my folks did. Sort of SSK era. For me, I've tried their older stuff, don't really like it, and the one song I absolutely love above all others is Lippy Kids, think it's a fucking beautiful song. They're a band I can admire but don't move me as much as they should. The failing is entirely mine.

On the plus side, I owe them an anormous debt of thanks for dragging my folks out of the 60s/70s rut they were in and reintroducing them to a kind of musical fandom. They are off to see them this year in Manchester, Bridlington, Dalby Forest etc. For that, I'll always have an appreciation and soft spot for this band.

I still haven't bothered listening to it.

I must do that soon!

My mate is currently fucked off at me though - she is 41 and OBSESSED with Guy Garvey - we have standing tickets for the Sunday at Hammersmith and I have developed a hernia randomly on top of my chronic GORD that has flared up out of the blue from NOWHERE - standing for any length of time just hurts. And she wants to get there to the venue at like 4/5pm to queue and get to the front. I've already rang the venue and asked to switch standing to seats which they won't allow, so I am planning to get there as late as possible before they come on, stand at the back and watch in peace! Not like Elbow will have the crowd bouncing but standing for that long will just kill.........

30 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I must do that soon!

My mate is currently fucked off at me though - she is 41 and OBSESSED with Guy Garvey - we have standing tickets for the Sunday at Hammersmith and I have developed a hernia randomly on top of my chronic GORD that has flared up out of the blue from NOWHERE - standing for any length of time just hurts. And she wants to get there to the venue at like 4/5pm to queue and get to the front. I've already rang the venue and asked to switch standing to seats which they won't allow, so I am planning to get there as late as possible before they come on, stand at the back and watch in peace! Not like Elbow will have the crowd bouncing but standing for that long will just kill.........

Best just giving the whole thing the Elbow ...

1 hour ago, mungo57 said:

I must do that soon!

I really hope you manage to make the gig but if you or anyone here knows of a face value standing ticket for the Sunday Hammersmith show going spare please let me know :-)

8 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

I really hope you manage to make the gig but if you or anyone here knows of a face value standing ticket for the Sunday Hammersmith show going spare please let me know :-)

Will let you know if I don't mate but I'll prrobably think of something.

I might just show up with a crutch (even though I don't need one) and people will naturally give me a wide berth.

I'm really liking the new album, especially the title track. It's almost certain they are booked for Friday as the Saturday and Sunday they are playing elsewhere. Sub radiohead or other headliner is what I predict. I think sub radiohead would be best, their music is well suited to a dusk setting!!

32 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I'm really liking the new album, especially the title track. It's almost certain they are booked for Friday as the Saturday and Sunday they are playing elsewhere. Sub radiohead or other headliner is what I predict. I think sub radiohead would be best, their music is well suited to a dusk setting!!

I'm more than confident they'll be at the festival on the Friday.

Some people are saying they are less likely to play due to the forest shows on the Saturday and Sunday but on their Feb 15 tour they played 3 times in a row at Manchester & London so that won't be an issue.

1 hour ago, donkeykong said:

I'm also going to Hammersmith on the Sunday. Really like the new album, but - as ever - I'll be hoping for some early songs at the gig. Any Day Now, Powder Blue, Fallen Angel, Grace Under Pressure would all be grand 

I sang backing vocals on that one. Got my name on the album too (twice for some reason even though it was only GUP I sang on).

2 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Just to confirm that I won't be giving you a downvote Dave, just for your posting a perfectly sensible and reasonable opinion that doesn't necessarily chime exactly with mine. That'd be petty, now wouldn't it...?

:)

Ben