coach/glasto combined tics: ok?

zahidf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fine. I've done it twice and it worked, I got to the festival and back. However, if the tickets didn't sell out instantly, I would choose National Express + standard ticket, for a few reasons:

1. Flexibility. Apart from London and one other (Bristol?), you get no choice in departure time there or back.

2. Luggage space. One of the side effects of the festival being able to dictate the numbers that depart at a given time is that they can more efficiently fill the coaches.  The result is that every seat is full and the hold is generally rammed. Last year I uses NX and there was bags of room, and loads of us weren't even booked on that coach out. Whenever I've used See Coaches, there was space for very few trollies, if any.

I'm still going to be trying for the coach package though.Two bites are better than one.

Selfishly, I want less people trying to the coach tickets from Sheffield... I've caught the coach many times and there has been no issues, nothing you wouldn't experience elsewhere (traffic, mostly, but if you were driving or getting Nat. Express you'd have the same peoples)

Makes the journey home asleep more acceptable when everyone else is asleep rather than trying to stay awake for the driver. 

15 minutes ago, DropBeat said:

Regarding the choice of departure time for London, does anyone have a rough idea of how much choice there is? Is it just a couple of options? Not sure I've seen them anywhere. I'm guessing it's spaced across Weds and Thursday?

I can't remember the exact times but there is a good few options from early Wednesday to late Thursday for London. The early ones will sell out the quickest 

I did it last year and it was painless. We arrived in good time, no stupid unnecessary stops. Managed to get an earlier coach back too, and just sailed in and out of the site with no queues.

the only problem we had was that we forgot to bring ID to get our tickets. Heart in mouth for 5 minutes thinking driver was going to refuse us our tickets. Tears in eyes! 

Our driver gave us tickets before we got on. A few people then sloped off and got in cars

I did it this year and apart from the nightmare traffic it was rather painless.

Came from Sheffield and made two 30 minute stops at services on the way. Tickets were handed out after the first service stop. We weren't asked for any ID but obviously best to take some.

The hold was rammed full of luggage and beer on way out but the driver fit it all in. My impression in terms of amount of alcohol is that as long as you don't take the mick they will endeavour to get all your stuff on.

I would recommend spirits and boxes of wine though. I had 100 cans, my tent and clothes etc and it was a nightmare lugging it all to the campsite( albeit the drop off for coaches is a small walk in comparison to the car parks).

I've done it a few times. This year we got tickets half way through the journey. Ended up with a flat tyre plus got stuck in loads of traffic but we had a legend of a bus driver. He was playing air guitar to ACDC and going up and down the aisle while we were in a jam. Coming back was a bit of a free for all and very badly disorganised but we got on a coach and got home so all good. 

I always go for the coach option as I Iike to have a go at the tickets early so nervous am I of missing out on the sunday. The departure times from Brighton (my stop) were earlier this year which was good but the traffic was utterly rubbish as it was for everyone.

I have only once got the coach back though always get a lift with friends.

Travel by coach every year but usually do National Express. Did a coach package two years back and ended up with a 5am departure from Birmingham - (the nearest point to Coventry) - you don't get to choose times outside of Bristol/London -  and of course there's no public transport at that time of morning, so you're either looking at a long overnight wait, an expensive taxi, or a very kind friend/family member!

7 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

To be fair - the coach down was pretty awesome from Sheffield, we had a team bus. Complete with Sky TV, a full table and reclining seats... I want the same coach next year please!

ah you were in the coach behind ours then I think! I remember being gutted because our coach had naff all and the coach behind had the football on!

All the delays did seem to foster a stronger together experience between everyone on the coach.

I wanted to get quite drunk but had to restrict myself due to the walk when we got there!

I'm tempted to try in the coach sale this year from Glasgow, though would be on my own so a bit nervous about that prospect. My other mates are going from London so would just meet them there. I'm imagining the Glasgow coach leaves late the night before and gets there earlyish the weds morning. I'd prob just pitch up and wait for my mates. We stayed in Pylon this year and if we go there again there will be plenty of room by the time they arrive in the afternoon.

4 times by coach - 2 combined packages from Southampton and 2 General tickets and National Express from Bournemouth. All no problem at all and have always been given tickets when getting on the coach.

Had stupid coach times this year as mistakenly clicked on Thursday coaches- not only did i miss Wednesday, but coach was not leaving again until 4.00 pm on the Monday. In the end didn't want to be hanging around all day so got up extra early and got on one that was going at 6.00 am instead.

Getting on to site there was a two hour queue to get to the wristband exchange in 2011, but every time since have got in within 20 minutes max. .

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Maybe this is just my anxious mind at work, but anyone know of cases where someone has got on the correct bus but their ticket has not been there?

Not a single ticket that I can recall but there were a couple of whole coaches last year who's tickets weren't on them, but they were just at gate A waiting for the coaches to arrive 

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Maybe this is just my anxious mind at work, but anyone know of cases where someone has got on the correct bus but their ticket has not been there?

everyone on my coach got their ticket although that's not to say I wasn't anxious before my name was finally called out!