Kraftwerk 2017?

aidenlangan95

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Defo Pyramid for me

I've seen the Roses since the reformation so by that logic, Kraftwerk would win.

Whether 4 men with laptops would suit me as a weekend finishing set though I have no idea. In all likelihood I would have a better time at the Roses so I would probably be there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, eastynh said:

Why can't the Roses play Friday?

they could, but if the headliners are Radiohead, Ed Sheeran and Roses then it makes most sense to have them in that order: Sheeran for the TV crowd on the Saturday, Roses for the big finale, and Radiohead the other day. nothing set in stone but that's how i see it

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they could, but if the headliners are Radiohead, Ed Sheeran and Roses then it makes most sense to have them in that order: Sheeran for the TV crowd on the Saturday, Roses for the big finale, and Radiohead the other day. nothing set in stone but that's how i see it

Ed Sheeran, peak time Saturday night viewing   :help:

Its like punk and acid house never happened.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't think much could beat finishing Sunday night on I Am the Resurrection.

Would love to see Kraftwerk there. Definitely one of those bands that I'd not go to a gig to see but would certainly check them out at Glastonbury.

Have never really got in to them but one of those bands that have a legendary status that you feel obliged to keep trying to listen to and hope you 'get it'!

13 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Ah, those cutting edge genres from... 40 and 30 years ago? ;D

Exactly, thats the point. Is Glastonbury now about whats best for the housewives on a Saturday evening, while they are washing the pots? As that is exactly what Ed Sheeran is. Safe, dull and as bland as you can get. Exactly like Adele was this year.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

At the height of punk they had Peter Gabriel headlining, and by the time acid house was around they had Van Morrison on every year.

Probably not the thread to go into it and I really can't speak from experience in regards to punk as I was about -1 when it was it its peak (My knowledge comes from reading and 2nd hand stories). Punk and acid house broke down barriers and paved the way for what came next. Both only had a small shelf life yet their influence would be felt for decades after. Now I appreciate hip hop was growing across the pond but it did not break through over here like house did, till much later on. Both acid house and punk were a big fuck you to all the bland and dull music which was in and ascendancy during the mid 70's and 80's.

Can't remember who posted that Ed would be perfect for the Saturday night tv crowd, but it just felt like we are stuck in a malaise of dull and bland music, hence my comment. Now I have no issue with Ed Sheeran or Adele (I actually find Adele quite funny), but their music is as dull bland an uninteresting as you can get (imo obviously). Is Glastonbury really just a place for people to compare arm tattoo's, beards and speak about hunter wellies, while listening to beige music and taking drugs?

It all just feels a little too safe and nice. Funny this ended up in the Kraftwerk thread as they were the total antithesis to everything the likes of Ed Sheeran represent.

The thing is, you'll never find the bleeding edge of the avant garde topping the bill on the Pyramid - and that goes for any genre in more or less any time period.

It's the biggest stage in the country and, as such, it's got a populist booking policy - at least, as far as headliners are concerned (and they deserve a lot of credit for mixing it up further down the line up in ways that no other festivals really do).

As for Adele, it was the best Pyramid headliner I've seen in many moon and - if the crowd around where I was standing are any indication - a positive one for the future of the festival.  It was a young, diverse and international group of people all set on having a whale of a time.  It certainly felt a lot more of the moment - and, frankly, hipper - than the folk who gathered to watch the (ostensibly less safe and boring) Metallica.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The thing is, you'll never find the bleeding edge of the avant garde topping the bill on the Pyramid - and that goes for any genre in more or less any time period.

It's the biggest stage in the country and, as such, it's got a populist booking policy - at least, as far as headliners are concerned (and they deserve a lot of credit for mixing it up further down the line up in ways that no other festivals really do).

As for Adele, it was the best Pyramid headliner I've seen in many moon and - if the crowd around where I was standing are any indication - a positive one for the future of the festival.  It was a young, diverse and international group of people all set on having a whale of a time.  It certainly felt a lot more of the moment - and, frankly, hipper - than the folk who gathered to watch the (ostensibly less safe and boring) Metallica.

Good reply mate and that makes perfect sense. I like pop and would watch lady Gaga. I would also watch Take That and have been ridiculed on here because of that, so you can see I am not anti populist. It was just the comment, ED would be perfect for the Saturday night tv crowd. I just thought it was a bit sad that people at a festival should suffer (if that is the right word) for what suits the tv crowd at home rather than what would be best for them at the festival.

It made me think of the Clash' - Safe European Home.

Yeah - I can't defend that 'TV audience' comment, but I'd still defend the booking of the Ed-ster.  I'm not a fan and would be elsewhere, but he's inarguably A BIG DEAL and the right man for the job for all sorts of reasons.

Besides, this years' TV audience are maybe next year's paying customers, so booking Merzbow to headline won't really do much to help the festival endure.