2017 first time in over a decade whats changed?....

waterfalls212434

Yeah basicallly decided I want to do a metal festival again after a few years of glastonbury so im going to try and get to download 2017.....few questions though, basically biggest one is whats changed since the early days? I went to the first 2 downloads in the early 00s (excellent memories of watching everything from stampin ground getting the crowd to go apeshit from the first set of the day to metallicas secret set to maiden up on the hill (on the 'give me ed' tour) but I know as that was eons ago a lots bound to have changed. So whats majorly different? If I remember there wasnt much other then the bands back then, one 'club' after hours with a bar and that was about it...(hopefully thats changed!)

Secondly as ive been out of the loop so long I have no idea about ticket sale dates, id be using the deposit scheme when did that become avalible last year? And does download 'sell out' nowdays? Ie is it best to secure a ticket early on?(though even if so it cant be as stessful as glastonburys mega mission to get tickets haha).

So yeah how is download these days basically?

Edited by waterfalls212434

It was my first Download this year so I can't say much for how it's changed, but I really liked the atmosphere there, obviously due to the crowd that's drawn.  Very chilled out and the friendliest festival I've been to!

They now have a 'Village' in the campsite, basically being a strip of food stalls/camping essentials/merch etc, like the strips they have in Glastonbury between stages really.  There's also a stand up comedy tent, a cinema tent, a sort of 'entertainment' tent (showing circus acts etc and a nightclub sort of thing), a fairground and a few bars in the village.  The arena has a few stages, they should all be listed on the website! I'm not too sure about the deposit scheme as I bought my ticket in full but as far as I'm aware the festival never sells out, so nothing like how next sunday morning will be for glastonbury haha! If you like the lineup I'd 100% reccomend Download, first chance I got this year due to majority of my 'festival friends' and girlfriend not being overly joyed with metal, but managed to find a group to go with this year and planning on going back next year. Had an amazing weekend there, all the security and staff were very helpful and friendly too, although the mud/flooding was incredible this year haha!

ideal thanks for the info, im still decided between download and bloodstock for 2017 as can really only afford to do one, nothing to do with falling out of love with glastonbury but I fancy doing a festival thats all about the music for me next year and I am a metal fan first and foremost. glastonbury I go to with a big group of friends so its a big social thing and I see some great bands but as im not so into everything on the stages I spend a lot of time away from them as well as theirs so much to see and do there....but a metal fest where im a lot more into all of the music would be just me by myself (as im a bit of a lonesome one into metal among my mates) going nuts to bands for 3 days so a very different cup of tea, so I guess on that note lineup is what counts for me as far as deciding goes.

on that note anyone know when the first lot of bands for download or bloodstock are usually announced? is there a Glastonbury style `thingy` for download and bs? or has noone got that into them yet on here? and yeah much as Ill miss some things about glastonbury next year....ticket day wont be one of them! so much stress and nerves! ive got lucky 4 years in a row somehow but hoping to have a bit easier time getting a ticket for dl or bs!