Wilco

BlackHole2006

Would have resurrected an old thread but I figured you can never have too many Wilco threads.

After not really enjoying Star Wars that much, I've just started listening to Shmilco and I'm absolutely hooked by it. It sounds really minimal but at the same time there's loads going on. I feel like a band that I loved years ago has returned in a really satisfying way.

What are the chances of them playing Glasto next year? I reckon they'd be a very decent alternative to Daft Punk or Stone Roses on the Sunday and I'd be more than happy to see them at either the park or West Holts... 

Yeah, star wars didnt do it for me, this one is way better. They're over in Europe soonish, can't imagine them coming back next summer unless sales over here for this album are good.

They do seem to be making a lot of effort to push this album mind, we got a world first playback and message from Jeff at EOTR (and, whoop whoop) a free badge.

this one is right up there with their best, but they're still not doing much business are they? What's the London date, Brixton Academy? Long way to come to play that.

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Their festival should be back next year as it is every other year so next possible year for them is (wince) 2020.

Really should've been this year as they were in Europe at the time and I'm sure they'd have rather come to Glastonbury than Montenegro or wherever they played instead. :(

That's a frightening thought. I have a Brixton ticket but might end up unable to go so that'd be an awful wait.

They do tend to tour pretty much of all of the the time. And if it's not the whole band, Jeff Tweedy tours solo. There's always chance of them playing every year as there never not active, but odd that they've only place once or twice.

Saw them at the Astoria in 2004, when I was at the point of obsession with them, and they were fantastic.

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

They do tend to tour pretty much of all of the the time. And if it's not the whole band, Jeff Tweedy tours solo. There's always chance of them playing every year as there never not active, but odd that they've only place once or twice.

Saw them at the Astoria in 2004, when I was at the point of obsession with them, and they were fantastic.

They tour a lot but their last proper UK tour was 2011, then Wilderness in 2012 and nothing since. And now they're back with just 2 dates - must be fairly hard to get a hold of.

Kind of in two minds about getting tickets to see Wilco in Nov, if I get enough money from work this week, then I'll probably get tickets. Completely bizarre that they haven't sold out yet though. Would have thought that them coming over to the UK is a really special, one off thing as they're usually touring all over the shop in America. I guess I've underestimated their popularity over here.

Brixton is the last night of the tour - im going and really looking forward to it.

Surprised by some of the luke-warm thoughts on Star Wars here. Its a fantastic listen. Pickled Ginger is the kind of Stonesian banger I adore from them and the final three tracks are amongst their finest in years. Get the headphones on good people. Give it another spin.

On 9/26/2016 at 2:24 PM, Wooderson said:

Brixton is the last night of the tour - im going and really looking forward to it.

Surprised by some of the luke-warm thoughts on Star Wars here. Its a fantastic listen. Pickled Ginger is the kind of Stonesian banger I adore from them and the final three tracks are amongst their finest in years. Get the headphones on good people. Give it another spin.

I came here to defend Star Wars as well, I really like it. To be fair, they don't really make bad albums. Looking forward to seeing them for a second time in Manchester. They were fan-bloody-tastic the first time.

BONUS VIEWING: Watch this if you haven't already. A remarkable story behind a remarkable album. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327920/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_19

57 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I came here to defend Star Wars as well, I really like it. To be fair, they don't really make bad albums. Looking forward to seeing them for a second time in Manchester. They were fan-bloody-tastic the first time.

BONUS VIEWING: Watch this if you haven't already. A remarkable story behind a remarkable album. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327920/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_19

Its no "Ghost is Born" but I like it. Schmilco may flow a little better but its not as wry a listen as Star Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

as if to tease this week's ticket sales, my in-box was just hit with a 'safe the date' announcement from Wilco for June 23-25 for their Solid Sound Festival. While I'll be trying for a miracle this early Sunday morning here, if all fails, the absolute worst case scenario is that I will be spending weekend of June 23-25, sitting in a far smaller field watching Wilco and their associated side projects over 3 days

so, definitely confirms they're not at Worthy Farm next year. 2019 they could feasibly do June 21-23 for Solid Sound and across the ocean the following weekend....2020 seems most likely though

Saw them in 2004 on the Pyramid, didn't really know any of their stuff then, and wandered away after a half dozen songs.  Finally saw them again in Atlanta, GA in February this year while over for the Drive-By Truckers homecoming shows in Athens and was blown away.  Really looking forward to seeing them in Brixton, two visits to Europe this year so can't see them coming back for a while after this.  Get tickets now if still available.