Missed Glastonbury Moments

The Clearest Blue

As a relatively new Glastonbury punter, only attending 2014, 2015 & 2016, I grew up watching Glastonbury on the TV and wishing that I could one day attend. This has led to a great deal of envy over the years given I have missed a whole lot of the festivals history and obviously there are loads of 'Glastonbury Moments' I wish I could have been there for, but if we could only pick the top 3 I think mine would be the following:

-  Glastonbury 2008: Leonard Cohen, the brief bits of footage I have seen of this on youtube are beautiful!

- Glastonbury 2013: This was the second year I tried for tickets and failed, although Mumford and Sons are one of my favourites (I know their not everyones!) they are not the reason I wish I was there, the buzz around that years festival, from an outsiders point of few, was incredible. Maybe it was created by the Rolling Stones, maybe it was just the anticipation of the festival returning after a fallow year, or maybe is was simply all my mates were there and I wasn't, either way I wish I had been there!

- It's a toss up between 2000 and missing Bowie and 1998 missing both Pulp and Primal Scream, two bands I love! Cheating a bit with two there, so I'd probably have to go for Bowie, since I stated going in 2014 I always assumed that as long as I kept going he would return to grace the Pyramid Stage and I'd be there and it would be magical ...

What would everyone else pick?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I didn't start going until 2010 so everything before that. But 2009, I can't believe I didn't go. Bruce, Neil Young, Blur, Specials, Madness, CS&N, Quo, and that's just The Pyramid.

What an arse.

I was there in 2009 and still missed Neil Young :banghead:

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Couldn't agree more!

My top 3 are Bowie, Cohen and Macca. Even had a ticket in 04 but as I didn't realise what I was missing and only friends of friends of friends managed to get tickets I gave mine to someone closer to the group.

Think I beat you on the regret front there gnomey! Macca! So gutted, despite what @stuartbert two hats may think.

I do look at that setlist today and think I must have had a screw loose at the time for walking off early, but C'est la vie.

My top 3 are:

Radiohead 03 - wasn't allowed the time off work 

Radiohead '97 - was being 'cool' watching Primal Scream

Stevie Wonder - was ill in my tent from Friday night (which lasted until 0300 on Sunday)

Neil Young 2009 - What. A.Tit.  First Glastonbury, got separated from the group I was meant to be meeting so ended up loitering at the Other hoping to catch up with them. Saw Bloc Party instead.  Hum.

Levellers 1994 - 15 years before I first went and 2 years before I really got into them so I have excuses for missing it.  But the thought of being in that crowd for One Way....good heavens.

Ade Edmonson & The Bad Shepherds 2010 - this one's more about the terrible choice I made instead.  Again, in the interests of hanging out as a group I ended up going to watch the f*cking FOOTBALL on the screen they set up.  I'm still ashamed of that one. On the plus side I left at half time and went to watch a gospel choir, who were amazing.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

You missing Radiohead is funnier (to me) than Russy missing Neil Young or Arthur Lee. One of the most anal radiohead fans on these boards and you were at the festival but watching the ubiquitous primal scream instead. Brilliant!

If you made a list of the most anal posters on the board I wouldn't be in the top 5!

But I didn't know how good they were back then.  And in a funny way, I don't regret it that much anymore, after all they'd hardly written any songs back then!  Nothing from Kid A, HTTT, In Rainbows or the rest.  Barely enough good songs to fill a set, basically the same as Mumford and Sons + Creep.  I hear the performance went quite well in the end, but it's funny to think how many more storming tunes they've done in the years since.

This http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2003/worthy-farm-pilton-england-2bd6ec6a.html beats this  http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/1997/worthy-farm-pilton-england-7bd7be7c.html to me.  Imagine how good it will be next year when they have the new songs to add in and realise their folly of not playing "Pyramid Song" on the Pyramid.

Radio Head around 1995 or 1996, watched it on TV at a friends I had never heard of Glastonbury I was only 18 and never thought of going to a festival. The spectacle opened my eyes and made me want to go and experience what it was like.

I never got my act together until 2004

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

it was 4 years before i started going, but The Battle of Yeoman's Bridge must have been something to witness.

not arsed about bands, you can see that shit anytime.

Out of curiosity Yeti, why?  Just curious, wouldn't have thought of it as a spectator event!

Too many really and that's why we love it!

Glastonbury is all about the missed moments and you can't be thinking about what may be going on elsewhere. 

I missed Pulp in '95, Radiohead in '97 and Bowie in '00 - but I was happy enough wherever I was at the time.

8 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Too many really and that's why we love it!

Glastonbury is all about the missed moments and you can't be thinking about what may be going on elsewhere. 

I missed Pulp in '95, Radiohead in '97 and Bowie in '00 - but I was happy enough wherever I was at the time.

Jesus Christ, that's a poor run of form though fishy. 

I'm sure you were happy, but what if you'd sacked them off for Pigeon Detectives, Milburn (new album coming out apparently / inexplicably) and Viva Brother. 

14 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Jesus Christ, that's a poor run of form though fishy. 

I'm sure you were happy, but what if you'd sacked them off for Pigeon Detectives, Milburn (new album coming out apparently / inexplicably) and Viva Brother. 

:D

Yeah - but only in hindsight ..... and I was young and foolish.

Pulp - I seem to remember I had tickets to see them later in the year (Forum?), so sacked them off for The Prodigy.

Radiohead - it was muddy and I'd seen them a number of times recently (Astoria? Brixton?), so Primal Scream (with Mr 2Hats).

Bowie - Mmmmm .... because, errrm, reasons? And I wasn't on my own at Basement Jaxx!!

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Skipping Arcade Fire in 2007 to watch Kasabian instead is a shame I will forever carry with me.

Wish I'd seen Lady Gaga on the Other in 09. Saw the Specials instead but that Gaga show was great by all accounts.

It was Gaga in Lost Vagueness later that you should've been at.

20 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think the OP means more missed moments cos they were before you started going rather than clashes etc.

Fair point well made.  I shall update accordingly:

Levellers 1994 - as before

Pulp 1995 - breaking moment for them, would have loved to have seen that one.

REM 1999 - one of my top 3 bands of all time, and what a setlist.