Ive started a music/festival blog....Glasto related

swede

http://festivaldadblog.wordpress.com

Morning guys. I've started my own music/festival blog, its something I've wanted to do for a while now after writing some album reviews a while back for an online magazine. If you fancy something to read music/festival based please check it out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure as Glastonbury closes in there will be more Glasto related content.

If you realty like what you read please share with your friends.

6 hours ago, swede said:

http://festivaldadblog.wordpress.com

Morning guys. I've started my own music/festival blog, its something I've wanted to do for a while now after writing some album reviews a while back for an online magazine. If you fancy something to read music/festival based please check it out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure as Glastonbury closes in there will be more Glasto related content.

If you realty like what you read please share with your friends.

I've saved the link to my book marks and look forward to reading more. It looks like you were at quite a few of the same festivals as me and the Mrs  (plus kids sometimes)

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I liked it. Particularly the bit where Billy Joel sets fire to Green Day's drum kit :)

Though he's always insisted he didn't start the fire.

Haha, thanks for pointing out the typo, was a great day, especially the guest appearance from Billy Joel LOL, glad you liked it.

15 hours ago, craigyb31 said:

I've saved the link to my book marks and look forward to reading more. It looks like you were at quite a few of the same festivals as me and the Mrs  (plus kids sometimes)

Wow, thanks. I find the writing very therapeutic, I don't know why it took me so long to do this after the online magazine I was writing for folded, again that was just writing for fun. I'm just glad people are reading it and enjoying it.

• 4 weeks later...

I watch loads of live stuff on youtube so it would be hypocritical for me to rant against people filming gigs really.

The only evidence that leonard cohen played glastonbury at all is footage of hallelujah someone filmed on their phone. I have listened to it hundreds of times. I was at the gig so have a happy memory, but for those who werent lucky enough to be there this is all they have. Who are we to demand that moments like that cant be shared?

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Although I kind of agree with you, I think the sterile crowds are too high a price to pay. I also watch shit loads of stuff on youtube cos it'e there, but given the choice I'd rather not have that if it meant that the gigs I went to had a better atmosphere. 

I dunno, I just dont get that bothered by it, I just move if it's really distracting, which is obviously not ideal. I still think having all the stuff on youtube is more valuable to me. And now phone technology getting better and better a lot of the clips are really good, in terms of sound and vision. Perhaps the fact I'm used to london crowds which are generally sterile with or without the filming gives me this attitude...

I guess the answer is to have every single gig professionally recorded and put in a massive database somewhere. I'd pay a tenner a month for access to something like that.

Edited by russycarps

The thing about phones at gigs is that the vast majority of people will never watch these videos again. Just live in the moment a bit and watch the bloody gig. 

However, I can see what you mean @russycarps about being able to watch back special moments like the Cohen gig. Your idea could be a real winner, time to crowd fund it?! 

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

I watch loads of live stuff on youtube so it would be hypocritical for me to rant against people filming gigs really.

The only evidence that leonard cohen played glastonbury at all is footage of hallelujah someone filmed on their phone. I have listened to it hundreds of times. I was at the gig so have a happy memory, but for those who werent lucky enough to be there this is all they have. Who are we to demand that moments like that cant be shared?

Im not demanding anything Russy. Like I said in the blog post I'll take photos and the odd short video to share with friends and family. My complaint is people who film the full gig from prime spots in the pit, the place where ultimately the atmosphere should be, it seems more and more people do this now than actually live in the moment and enjoy the live music.

I don't like having loads of phone screens in front of me blocking the view with bright displays, not always easy to move away.

Brian Molko looked rather pissed off at the sea of phones held up as he delivered the lyrics ' When all the people do all day is stare into a phone' recently.

I also saw Ross Noble doing a warm up gig for a new tour, he's spent out on a cool video before taking to the stage to ask that mobiles are turned off.....he went absolutely nuts at a guy in the front row who started to film it, seriously angry t him

1 hour ago, not worthy said:

Brian Molko looked rather pissed off at the sea of phones held up as he delivered the lyrics ' When all the people do all day is stare into a phone' recently.

Saw Placebo a few years ago at a warm up show in Bournemouth and there was a definite no phones rule. I guess it was because it was before their album had came out and they didn't want any leaks, but it was a bit heavy handed as anytime security saw someone filming they would dive into the crowd and make sure that any pics/vids were deleted there and then.

Thing with festivals people are often dead on juice from lack of charging compared to going to one off gig at arena where it's a sea of phones.

Phones are cool for capturing the randomness of places like glasto but the ones that film entire sets...it's the physical pain.

I love people watching in places like glasto one thing that made me laugh ...  the rolling stones set in 13 there was a rather large man asleep on the floor....then his one song came on he was on his feet raving away...then song finished back to sleep.   

On 25/10/2016 at 6:29 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Any mention of people recording gigs with their phones reminds me of this little video Public Service Broadcasting used at the beginning of their gigs:

I heard Justin Beiber is going to start playing something similar to his fans. Only he'll be telling them to be silent and only politely applause between songs. 

I saw Bjork at Hammersmith Apollo and security at the front had laser pens. Every time a phone went up to film a laser was shone at it making it impossible to film. People gave up after one or two songs. 

Impossible for Glastonbury though. 

Edited by Woffy

14 hours ago, Woffy said:

I saw Bjork at Hammersmith Apollo and security at the front had laser pens. Every time a phone went up to film a laser was shone at it making it impossible to film. People gave up after one or two songs. 

Impossible for Glastonbury though. 

haha sounds like laser quest.

49 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

Just spent my lunchtime reading your blog :) - nice one

I'm same as you with phones - quick couple of snaps and quick vid then watch it and jump around.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm on Instagram as well @festivaldadblog