Florida Holiday

thewayiam

I'm going in May! November is apparently a very good time though. Quiet, the Halloween events are still on, cheap, weather is mild.

When I went before it was in August, 10 years ago. Pretty busy but that was to be expected, it never felt overstuffed, just busy. The weather got pretty unbearable in the afternoons so it was best to seek cover until it died down. But we were told it was a particularly lucky fortnight for weather because it didn't really rain, apparently it's prone to crazy tropical storms. Virgin Atlantic have a sale around December time, that's the best time to book flights.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

On 9/17/2016 at 10:38 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm going in May! November is apparently a very good time though. Quiet, the Halloween events are still on, cheap, weather is mild.

When I went before it was in August, 10 years ago. Pretty busy but that was to be expected, it never felt overstuffed, just busy. The weather got pretty unbearable in the afternoons so it was best to seek cover until it died down. But we were told it was a particularly lucky fortnight for weather because it didn't really rain, apparently it's prone to crazy tropical storms. Virgin Atlantic have a sale around December time, that's the best time to book flights.

Cheers for the heads up pal, I did know about the December Virgin sales. I plan to head to New Orleans for 3/4 days 1st, probably 4 due to travel time the 1st day getting there. If you went later on in August that's possibly why you avoided the mass of crowds and yes August is a no go completely due to the expected rain plus doing activity all day plus the heat over there....not a chance. Because the sun is out but it can be partially cloudy a lot that turns 33 degrees into feeling 38 instantly. Six Flags in LA in the 1st week of May this year took it out of you although it did overcast that day too, I really didn't choose the correct time to ride Tatsu, bloody horrible ride! 1st two weeks in May if it's anything like LA was should be okay crowd wise, after that forget it until end of September at least.

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fucking Nora. Orlando? What could possibly be the lure to go to such a place?

Too many things.

17 hours ago, OG said:

This plus some decent lsdDowntown1.jpg

Thew view yes....the lsd no thanks

17 hours ago, OG said:

Not all this! but in abundance if thats's your thing

29a_l.jpg

Universal and others but not a lot of Disney tbh, a lot of the coast.

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

No. I cant think of a worse place to go.

The whole world to choose from (clearly the OP has a few quid) and they pick.........Orlando.

Baffling.

Thanks for the re-assurance. I needed it. According the Wikepedia it's the theme park capital of the world. Sounds dreadful to me.

On 20/09/2016 at 0:18 AM, The Nal said:

New Orleans is probably the best city I've ever been to. If youre anywhere near it go.

Already planned on doing it for 3/4 nights 1st, silly not to.

If you have any recommendations they'd be greatfully received, I'd probably head there end of October time.

Edited by thewayiam

On 20/09/2016 at 11:49 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the re-assurance. I needed it. According the Wikepedia it's the theme park capital of the world. Sounds dreadful to me.

Theme Park capital sounds just my place.

For the record I have already been New York, Vegas, LA and about it and San Fran.

I get if you don't like it but I'm not so sure what is so bad about the idea of Florida.

26 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Theme Park capital sounds just my place.

For the record I have already been New York, Vegas, LA and about it and San Fran.

I get if you don't like it but I'm not so sure what is so bad about the idea of Florida.

Hello thewayiam,

I've got no problem with Florida - it was the generally/ specifically Orlando bit that I couldn't / still can't get my head around. It's my problem, not yours - go where you like mate. All I really was trying to say was that I would imagine going to Orlando (not actually possible because of my persona non grata status in the USA) to be an ordeal (for me) rather than a pleasure. It really is my problem because I just was putting myself in the situation of going when it's actually a certainty that I am not going to have to.

Theme parks really aren't my bag, and spending any of my increasingly shorter time on this planet at them is an abhorrent notion. I once went to Blackpool (a case of having to because of a stag do, which I also loath with a passion, but was obliged to go to) and was talked in to going on the Pepsi Max roller coaster whilst seriously hung over after several days drinking. I cannot begin to describe the terror and horror of that experience. Mind you, the same could be said about my whole time in Blackpool. What a shithole that place is. Just to give you some perspective - I would much rather go to the unknown Orlando theme parks (yes, every single one of them) than to ever go back to Blackpool. :)

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello thewayiam,

I've got no problem with Florida - it was the generally/ specifically Orlando bit that I couldn't / still can't get my head around. It's my problem, not yours - go where you like mate. All I really was trying to say was that I would imagine going to Orlando (not actually possible because of my persona non grata status in the USA) to be an ordeal (for me) rather than a pleasure. It really is my problem because I just was putting myself in the situation of going when it's actually a certainty that I am not going to have to.

Theme parks really aren't my bag, and spending any of my increasingly shorter time on this planet at them is an abhorrent notion. I once went to Blackpool (a case of having to because of a stag do, which I also loath with a passion, but was obliged to go to) and was talked in to going on the Pepsi Max roller coaster whilst seriously hung over after several days drinking. I cannot begin to describe the terror and horror of that experience. Mind you, the same could be said about my whole time in Blackpool. What a shithole that place is. Just to give you some perspective - I would much rather go to the unknown Orlando theme parks (yes, every single one of them) than to ever go back to Blackpool. :)

I guess as I enjoy theme parks then Orlando is up my street but aside from Universal, Magic Mountain and Sea World I spend the rest travelling around the coasts probably more so and Miami. 

Blackpool is a shit hole, can be a rough night out too but again I enjoy for the rides but it's been a while.

My big travelling ambition however is for NZ and Auz.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I guess as I enjoy theme parks then Orlando is up my street but aside from Universal, Magic Mountain and Sea World I spend the rest travelling around the coasts probably more so and Miami. 

Blackpool is a shit hole, can be a rough night out too but again I enjoy for the rides but it's been a while.

My big travelling ambition however is for NZ and Auz.

My favourite area of the planet (apart from Birmingham, of course!) is parts of the Far East. I've been lucky enough (with the assistance of one or two watchers on efests - you know who you are) to travel with friends to Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam  and Borneo. I was simply mesmerised by everything in those countries. It was a culture shock and a half. I guess my big ambition would be to now go to Cambodia and Laos. The only thing is that I have married since going to the Far East and her indoors probably wouldn't go because the availability of gin and tonics couldn't be guaranteed. We'll see.

Hope you get to NZ and Auz one day. :)

The Everglades, Kennedy Space Center (some bits) & some of the Natural Springs in Florida, of which there are many are more than worth a visit. I'm sure there are other great places there apart from the Plastic Fantastic stuff. One of the most popular springs is Silver Springs which is great but a bit commercial, there are quite a few others around tho. So don't automatically write Florida off as a shit hole. Oh and a drive along the Florida Keys is a nice way to spend a couple of days.

Silver Springs :-

4b28ea84773f9521196bf8f2099ec8af.jpg

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My favourite area of the planet (apart from Birmingham, of course!) is parts of the Far East. I've been lucky enough (with the assistance of one or two watchers on efests - you know who you are) to travel with friends to Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam  and Borneo. I was simply mesmerised by everything in those countries. It was a culture shock and a half. I guess my big ambition would be to now go to Cambodia and Laos. The only thing is that I have married since going to the Far East and her indoors probably wouldn't go because the availability of gin and tonics couldn't be guaranteed. We'll see.

Hope you get to NZ and Auz one day. :)

Ah yes, a trip starting in Bangkok and working down through Koh Tao, Somui, Phi Phi islands, Phangan, Pattaya maybe and possibly Fiji is a plan. Not too bothered with Indonesia.