Word of the day.

Yoghurt on a Stick

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realised that's two words above. Everything is still a little hazy. Anyway, it's word of the day, not words of the day, so here goes another attempt;

Poaceae

The Poaceae (English pronunciation: /pˈ.siˌ/[citation needed]) or Gramineae are the large and nearly ubiquitous family of monocotyledonous flowering plants known as grasses.

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just realised that's two words above. Everything is still a little hazy. Anyway, it's word of the day, not words of the day, so here goes another attempt;

Poaceae

The Poaceae (English pronunciation: /pˈ.siˌ/[citation needed]) or Gramineae are the large and nearly ubiquitous family of monocotyledonous flowering plants known as grasses.

I thought it might be.

My'word of the day' was once 'together'. I can still remember watching my brain analyse the word, its meaning, context etc., sorting and filing it. And analysing that, and feeling my brain do that. And so on.

brain processing was a bit like tetris.

Conversation was  energy-glowing humming-bird-like, flying circling each other. Altogether more beautiful.

weird
wɪəd/
adjective
adjective: weird; comparative adjective: weirder; superlative adjective: weirdest
  1. 1.
    suggesting something supernatural; unearthly.
    "weird, inhuman sounds"
    synonyms: uncanny, eerie, unnatural, preternatural, supernatural, unearthly, other-worldly, unreal, ghostly, mysterious, mystifying, strange, abnormal, unusual; More
    informalcreepy, spooky, freaky;
    informalrum
    "they have experienced all sorts of weird events"
    antonyms: normal, ordinary
  2. 2.
    archaic
    connected with fate.
noun
Scottisharchaic
noun: weird; plural noun: weirds
  1. 1.
    a person's destiny.
verb
North Americaninformal
verb: weird; 3rd person present: weirds; past tense: weirded; past participle: weirded; gerund or present participle: weirding
  1. 1.
    induce a sense of disbelief or alienation in someone.

Misophonia—a term coined by researchers studying ear ringing in the early 2000s [PDF]— means “hatred of sound,” but it generally refers to a hatred of specifically human sounds. These are often related to eating (like lip smacking or chewing) or related to repetitive sounds like breathing or pen-clicking. These sounds don’t just annoy, they cause extreme distress and anger, often resulting in the patient lashing out verbally or physically. Animal sounds don’t affect misaphonics, nor do sounds they produce themselves.

barnacle
ˈbɑːnək(ə)l/
noun
noun: barnacle; plural noun: barnacles
  1. a marine crustacean with an external shell, which attaches itself permanently to a surface and feeds by filtering particles from the water using its modified feathery legs.
    • used in similes to describe a tenacious person or thing.

Dobwalls (pl. n.): The now hard-boiled bits of nastiness which have to be prised off crockery by hand after it has been through a dishwasher.

Not a real definition but taken from a great book The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John  Lloyd.  Highly recommended.  More examples found here http://liff.hivemind.net/

21 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Dobwalls (pl. n.): The now hard-boiled bits of nastiness which have to be prised off crockery by hand after it has been through a dishwasher.

Not a real definition but taken from a great book The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John  Lloyd.  Highly recommended.  More examples found here http://liff.hivemind.net/

I remember the book well and had a copy myself. I can't recall the name given to my favourite word but remember that this one gave me a wry smile;

Dogdyke (vb.)

Of dog-owners, to adopt the absurd pretence that the animal shitting in the gutter is nothing to do with them.

I've just looked up what my favourite Meaning of Liff word was when I was a secondary school child, and it was this;

Pelutho (n.)

A South American ball game. The balls are whacked against a brick wall with a stout wooden bat until the prisoner confesses.

I, evidently, wasn't aware back then of just how unfunny it really is.

tabernacle
ˈtabəˌnak(ə)l/
noun
noun: tabernacle; plural noun: tabernacles
  1. 1.
    (in biblical use) a fixed or movable dwelling, typically of light construction.
    • a tent used as a sanctuary for the Ark of the Covenant by the Israelites during the Exodus and until the building of the Temple.
  2. 2.
    a meeting place for worship used by Nonconformists or Mormons.
  3. 3.
    an ornamented receptacle or cabinet in which a pyx containing the reserved sacrament may be placed in Catholic churches, usually on or above an altar.
    • archaic
      a canopied niche or recess in the wall of a church.
  4. 4.
    a partly open socket or double post on a sailing boat's deck into which a mast is fixed, with a pivot near the top so that the mast can be lowered to pass under bridges.

end
ɛnd/
noun
noun: end; plural noun: ends
  1. 1.
    a final part of something, especially a period of time, an activity, or a story.
    "the end of the year"
    synonyms: conclusion, termination, ending, finish, close, resolution, climax, finale, culmination, denouement; More
    informalwind-up
    "I never plan the end of the novel I'm writing"
    antonyms: beginning, start
  2. 2.
    the furthest or most extreme part of something.
    "the church at the end of the road"
    synonyms: extremity, furthermost part, limit, margin, edge, border, boundary, periphery; More
    "Laura's house was at the end of the row"
    antonyms: beginning, middle
    • British
      a small piece that is left after use.
      "an ashtray full of cigarette ends"
      synonyms: butt, stub, stump, remnant, fragment, vestige; More
      leftovers, remains, remainder;
      informalfag end, dog end
      "he jabbed a cigarette end into the ashtray"
    • a specified extreme of a scale.
      "homebuyers at the lower end of the market"
      synonyms: aspect, side, section, area, field, part, share, portion, segment, province
      "the commercial end of the music business"
    • either of two places linked by a telephone call, letter, or journey.
      "‘Hello,’ said a voice at the other end"
    • either of the halves of a sports field or court defended by one team or player.
      "when they changed ends, the goals kept coming"
  3. 3.
    a part or person's share of an activity.
    "you're going to honour your end of the deal"
  4. 4.
    a goal or desired result.
    "each would use the other to further his own ends"
    synonyms: aim, goal, purpose, objective, object, grail, holy grail, target, mission; More
    "to her, wealth is a means and not an end in itself"
  5. 5.
    (in bowls and curling) a session of play in one particular direction across the playing area.
  6. 6.
    American Football
    a lineman positioned nearest the sideline.
    "a defensive end"
verb
verb: end; 3rd person present: ends; past tense: ended; past participle: ended; gerund or present participle: ending
  1. 1.
    come or bring to a final point; finish.
    "when the war ended, policy changed"
    synonyms: finish, conclude, terminate, come to an end, draw to a close, close, stop, cease;

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Chances are, you won’t be wanting to use one of these during your stay to South Wales, but there’s no doubt that the Welsh word for microwave (pronounced Pop-ed-ee PING) is one of the most pleasing words in the whole of the taff lexicon.

It's a north Walian slang term, apparently.

Not going to do a word today. Thought I'd finish this thread off with a poem. That it was in Four Weddings and a Funeral is hardly my fault - I hasten to add;

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone

W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

17 hours ago, CHRLY said:

Just had a look; Onomatopoeia. Fantastic word.

that is a great word. One of my all time favourites.

my favourite at the moment is Acquiesce:

acquiesce
accept something reluctantly but without protest.
  1. "Sara acquiesced in his decision"

Used that in a meeting the other day and my boss had to ask me what it meant!

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

OK, one more for the road;

dodecahedron
ˌdəʊdɛkəˈhiːdr(ə)n,-ˈhɛd-/
noun
noun: dodecahedron; plural noun: dodecahedra; plural noun: dodecahedrons
  1. a three-dimensional shape having twelve plane faces, in particular a regular solid figure with twelve equal pentagonal faces.
I like that one too. It's got a lovely sound to it.