Betting

DickButkis

50 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I always felt that if RH played, it would be the Saturday. Friday doesn't feel right and they don't seem like a 'Sunday' band to me.

I don't think Sunday is impossible, as they've not done Sunday previously.

However, if there was a band with a more-mainstream appeal booked as headliner - such as the Stone Roses, as my example - then I definitely think that more-mainstream band would do Sunday.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think Sunday is impossible, as they've not done Sunday previously.

However, if there was a band with a more-mainstream appeal booked as headliner - such as the Stone Roses, as my example - then I definitely think that more-mainstream band would do Sunday.

did the Saturday both times they previously headlined

if it's Daft Punk, Sheeran and Radiohead then i think it'll be in that order. if it's Roses instead of Sheeran then he'll be the Saturday. if it's Roses instead of Daft Punk then i think it'll be Radiohead, Sheeran, Roses in that order

i feel a bit of a tit ordering headliners by the days they'll play, but Glastonbury's one of the few festivals where it actually makes sense to have certain acts on certain days unlike other festivals where it doesn't matter at all

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

did the Saturday both times they previously headlined

if it's Daft Punk, Sheeran and Radiohead then i think it'll be in that order. if it's Roses instead of Sheeran then he'll be the Saturday. if it's Roses instead of Daft Punk then i think it'll be Radiohead, Sheeran, Roses in that order

i feel a bit of a tit ordering headliners by the days they'll play, but Glastonbury's one of the few festivals where it actually makes sense to have certain acts on certain days unlike other festivals where it doesn't matter at all

I think based on Neil's bit above that if Radiohead play they'll be the Saturday which is probably why he mentioned a possibly punt on then for betting, I don't see them doing Sunday at all.

If Sheeran and Roses play it's in that order for me. I don't think Roses are doing it Saturday night either but Sheeran could do either Sat or Sun.

Edited by thewayiam

2 minutes ago, cidy said:

Roses friday

Radiohead sat

Sheran Sunday to keep the day ticket holders happy

If the DP rumor is a lie.....but RDB's Tweet earlier has given me a little hope there is something in it. Bestival usually have a big headliner which would of course be DP if they got them and if they can afford Stevie Wonder and Elton I don't know why they couldn't DP and that can be the only sticking factor I can think of. Unless given the fact they scaled own in the end this year means the funds actually aren't there to book them.

Talking of Elton, how possible is he, do we think?  Playing Scotland on Saturday, and no stranger to 2 nights on the bounce. When interviewed, his response was that he 'hadn't been asked' suggests he would be up for it, and he enjoyed Bestival.

I'm possibly bringing my parents (aged around 70) and  Elton closing on Sunday would really make their festival.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Talking of Elton, how possible is he, do we think?  Playing Scotland on Saturday, and no stranger to 2 nights on the bounce. When interviewed, his response was that he 'hadn't been asked' suggests he would be up for it, and he enjoyed Bestival.

I'm possibly bringing my parents (aged around 70) and  Elton closing on Sunday would really make their festival.

He plays gigs close to the festival almost every year (for the last two, at least) and has yet to be booked so it's hard to say. If he were to ever play though I think it'd have to be as the Sunday legend rather than a headliner, which may be a reason why it hasn't happened yet as he probably thinks he's above that even at this stage in his career

I saw Elton at the Apple Music Festival two nights ago. He played a lot of tracks from his most recent album, as well as the classics. Guess that wouldn't have worked so well in the legend slot, which should be all about the classics. It's a shame if he won't do that slot, recent years have proved it can be just as big of a deal as a headline slot. 

17 minutes ago, Untz said:

I think Elton has enough sense to not put a lot of recent stuff into a headliner slot, let alone a legends slot.

People are just presuming he would be an arse and wouldn't do it. The only thing the man has said is that he hasn't been asked.

I'd suggest that the fact he's not been asked is likely to be because of one of two things.

1. they're not particularly interested in having him. That might seem a bit weird today, tho it's less weird if its a thought they've had for 20+ years.

or

2. they know from general music-biz info that a cheap show for the benefit of Glasto isn't something he'd consider.

As I know Elton does an awful lot to benefit charities the 2nd doesn't seem particularly likely, tho there might be some issues around how Elton likes those charities to benefit. It might, perhaps (I'm guessing), be that he wants his name associated with the benefit rather than Glasto's.

If it's the first one then I reckon sooner or later it's something Glasto are likely to have to revise their opinion on, just by the fact that the options for 'haven't yet played' big acts are reducing as the years go by.

Edited by eFestivals

Maybe the festival have thought, like a lot of people, that he's too big for the legends slot but too small for the headliners and not really known what to do with him. He's just kind of hovered at the same place for a while and him headlining Bestival may have thrown them off asking him to do the legends slot.

I don't see him doing it next year due to that Saturday night in Scotland, but I think a legends slot beckons at some point as, I agree, the number of suitable acts is decreasing. If they point to the success of Dolly, Lionel (and Diana next year) and big up the charity side I reckon he'll be up for it. Just don't go getting measured up for that meerkat suit yet.

Edited by Untz

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'd suggest that the fact he's not been asked is likely to be because of one of two things.

1. they're not particularly interested in having him. That might seem a bit weird today, tho it's less weird if its a thought they've had for 20+ years.

or

2. they know from general music-biz info that a cheap show for the benefit of Glasto isn't something he'd consider.

As I know Elton does an awful lot to benefit charities the 2nd doesn't seem particularly likely, tho there might be some issues around how Elton likes those charities to benefit. It might, perhaps (I'm guessing), be that he wants his name associated with the benefit rather than Glasto's.

If it's the first one then I reckon sooner or later it's something Glasto are likely to have to revise their opinion on, just by the fact that the options for 'haven't yet played' big acts are reducing as the years go by.

What do you think of the theory that his management have been asked, but not passed that info to him because of the miserly fee?

44 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Every time someone mentions Elton, within a few replies Meerkats crop up. I have no idea why. Can someone explain please.

People dress up for the legends slot, or at least they did for Dolly. Elton did the Lion King soundtrack, the Lion King features meerkats, so people will dress up as meerkats when Elton does the legends slot.

Perfectly logical.

3 hours ago, Untz said:

People dress up for the legends slot, or at least they did for Dolly. Elton did the Lion King soundtrack, the Lion King features meerkats, so people will dress up as meerkats when Elton does the legends slot.

Perfectly logical.

Yep, its a wonder I didn't guess.  But then, I've never seen that film.

As a few have said, he won't be headlining. Considering he's still selling lots of records and big venues it might be a bit of tough sell to get him to do the legends slot, when he probably doesn't need exposure that Dolly and Lionel enjoyed and continue to profit from.

I expect he'll do it one day, but not for a while. Maybe if he stops making albums and starts doing Greatest Hits tours he might consider it.