King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Mash011

Well this is an odd album isn't it - in the best possible way. The Great Chain of Being into Last Oasis is one of the strangest bits of album sequencing I've ever heard, but it really brings home how special this band is when you hear all the different sides of what they do sitting side by side like this. But for most of the album's runtime it's exactly what I've been waiting for - Pop Gizz are back, baby, and they've brought with them all the weird influences they've picked up since their last proper pop record. Definitely leaves the best impression on first listen of their albums this year which bodes very well for it. Lovely! 

You can tell it’s the B-side album; some songs are great, some good, some not so. I kinda wish they used the songs as seeds for forthcoming albums of different styles rather than spaffing them off in this collection but I suppose they did promise five albums.

I definitely want a full album like Great Chain of Being - sounds like Red Fang back when they were making good albums.

Can't believe the standing allocation at Brixton has sold out already that's great going. I really wasn't expecting a sell out but surely it will do now, especially with rumors of Pond being the special guests! What an awesome year for the boys.

After having time to digest the fifth and final release I've just about managed to rank them: 

1. Polygondwanaland

2. Flying Microtonal Banana

3. Gumboot Soup

4. Sketches of Brunswick East

5. Murder of the Universe

How do they line up for you guys?

2 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Can't believe the standing allocation at Brixton has sold out already that's great going. I really wasn't expecting a sell out but surely it will do now, especially with rumors of Pond being the special guests! What an awesome year for the boys.

Just as I was going to get my ticket and all... still looking :(

I listened through them all again twice yesterday and have decided they are unrankable, so you're all wrong, sorry. 

If I had to pick a personal favouite I'd be tempted to go for Gumboot as it's a fun taster of the year and helps decide which full album I want to listen to.

3 hours ago, stocky3000 said:

Just wondering if anyone has received there special editions of polygonwanaland vinyl from the various record shops that were pressing them? still waiting on mine?

I'm still waiting for mine from stolen body records, since mid November 

Happy New Year Gizz fans!

On 06/01/2018 at 10:36 AM, stocky3000 said:

Just wondering if anyone has received there special editions of polygonwanaland vinyl from the various record shops that were pressing them? still waiting on mine?

Yeah I'm still waiting as well from Constant Rotation, but it says it's shipping at the end of the month.

Anybody know a (UK) store to pick up Gumboot on wax? The Aus store do a beaut of red pressing, but I can't justify the price.

22 hours ago, priest17 said:

'new' album. Keep up Waters.

Where did you find that out?

42 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Anybody know a (UK) store to pick up Gumboot on wax? The Aus store do a beaut of red pressing, but I can't justify the price.

You'll probably have to wait for Heavenly to press it if you wanna pick it up in the UK

Edited by suttttttt

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If you boiled these 5 records down to one single album would it be as good as Nonagon or Mind Fuzz? Anyone care to give me a ten track mix? Rattlesnake/Crumbling Castle both in there, yeh?

I'd go for (and you might wanna wait till someone else posts correcting me...)

Rattle Snake
Nuclear Fusion
Lord Of Lightning
Digital Black
The Spider & Me
Crumbling Castle
Loyalty
The Fourth Colour
Beginners Luck
The Great Chain Of Being

This is by no means the best of the albums but a decent variety I think, no idea how they'd all sound together though. Maybe swap out The Great Chain Of Being for Superposition, they're both a bit different from the lads, I didn't know which one to go for. It's not gona match Nonagon though I don't think which remains my favourite.

7 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If you boiled these 5 records down to one single album would it be as good as Nonagon or Mind Fuzz? Anyone care to give me a ten track mix? Rattlesnake/Crumbling Castle both in there, yeh?

It's not really possible to make a coherent album from them because, one, these are all very different projects, and two, they're recorded so that tracks are sequenced to lead in to each other - especially in the case of the best one, Polygondwanaland, whose tracks other than Crumbling Castle don't really work out of context. That aside if I were to try (not thinking about this too much) I'd do something like

1. Crumbling Castle
  2. Nuclear Fusion
  3. The Lord of Lightning
  4. Muddy Water
  5. Countdown
  6. I'm Sleepin' In
  7. Tezeta
  8. Loyalty
  9. Digital Black
  10. The Fourth Colour

So no, no Rattlesnake - it's grown on me but it's still something I enjoy as a bit of a laugh rather than being a really good song.

52 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

You'll probably have to wait for Heavenly to press it if you wanna pick it up in the UK

Damn. I like Heavenly, but they cancelled my Banana order last year so a bit cautious going through them again. Think they might get the same presses as ATO? https://atorecords.shop.musictoday.com/dept/king-gizzard-amp-the-lizard-wizard--gumboot-soup-pre-order?cp=126_68335_99775

28 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

It's not really possible to make a coherent album from them because, one, these are all very different projects...

^This. You'd end up with a physc/garage/lounge/metal/doom/jazz playlist, which would just be too jarring. Probably worth just giving each a try, and going back for the bits you like.

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

^This. You'd end up with a physc/garage/lounge/metal/doom/jazz playlist, which would just be too jarring. Probably worth just giving each a try, and going back for the bits you like.

I mean, I suppose that's what Gumboot Soup is, but with most of the other projects the individual tracks are all doing something within the sequence of the album that's lost when you rip them out of it. The benefit of the 5-albums thing was the ability to really commit to the album as a format rather than just to put out lots of songs.

15 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Damn. I like Heavenly, but they cancelled my Banana order last year so a bit cautious going through them again. Think they might get the same presses as ATO? https://atorecords.shop.musictoday.com/dept/king-gizzard-amp-the-lizard-wizard--gumboot-soup-pre-order?cp=126_68335_99775

Nah they'll do their own pressing which is usually pretty boring. If you've got the money I'd go for an ATO/Flightless pressing as they look nicer and are more limited. My guess would be that Heavenly will just press it on black wax at some point.