King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Mash011

9 minutes ago, GrowlerPhil said:

Saw them at the Hare&Hounds in Birmingham in September for £12. Cracking gig and I absolutely love the venue. Things are looking promising for a return to Glastonbury. 

Watching them in the Crow's Nest in 2015 was one of my highlights....despite the power cut. 

I need to venture to the crows nest more, only went for the first time this year (my 6th year) and ended up seeing jagwar ma. Seems most the small/medium bands I love end up there but I don't take a smartphone with me and the only way I can find the line up is going up that Hill. 

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah I can imagine they're gonna get that a lot but it's krautrock, my man. All the songs are gonna be repetitive rhythms and refrains - that's the basis of it all. But also adding enough different to keep it interesting as, say, Nonagon was a lot more metal-inspired and this one's using Arabic instrumentation and tuning.

There's a touch of Krautrock (Amon Duul II maybe, same crazy titles, like Flesh-Coloured Anti-Aircraft Alarm), also a speeded up Hawkwind (Brainstorm, Angels of Death, for example), and your comment on metal, I hear in several songs a hint of Budgie's awesome Breadfan (eg Gamma Knife)

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Can't argue with that, thats a hell of a start to the summer! Luckily these guys are robots without off buttons so another live opportunity can't be that far away and I imagine you've probably caught them this year. Still kicking myself for missing the gorilla gig.

Went to Gorilla and the Ritz this year - so I can't complain!

2 hours ago, GrowlerPhil said:

Saw them at the Hare&Hounds in Birmingham in September for £12. Cracking gig and I absolutely love the venue. Things are looking promising for a return to Glastonbury. 

Watching them in the Crow's Nest in 2015 was one of my highlights....despite the power cut. 

Aye, I was at that gig. Such a small venue was perfect for us eh, couple of hundred tops meant a super atmosphere.

43 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

How disappointing were wytches?

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

They were not great. Especially after what had gone on before.

Did you catch the Parrotts downstairs? I thought they were a blast. Loved them.

I enjoyed The Wytches but I was so drained from Gizzard they were always gonna be remembered that well. They played night and day a couple of weeks ago and that was supposed to mental (think I was watching the city barca match).

Parrots were great from what I saw, big moon as good as ever as well. They're gonna be massive.

6 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I enjoyed The Wytches but I was so drained from Gizzard they were always gonna be remembered that well. They played night and day a couple of weeks ago and that was supposed to mental (think I was watching the city barca match).

Wytches too one dimensional, but they were OK at the Ruby Lounge couple of years back

The Wytches.JPG

58 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I'm a little confused right now. They have signed to ATO who are selling the pre-purchase bundles but I just pre-ordered through Heavenly?

ATO deal looks sweet with the new T shirt but steep delivery to the UK.

I'm assuming they're signed to ATO in America or Australia and Heavenly in the UK. That'll be why the bundle is expensive, anyways 

On 15/09/2016 at 8:04 PM, Mash011 said:

I remember someone somewhere (think it was Dental) said we need a Gizz thread, and with apparently four albums to come next year I wholeheartedly agree. Let's get these guys back to the farm in 2017, yeah?

I'll start us off with a classic list. Feel free to follow suit.

1. Nonagon Infinity
  2. Float Along - Fill Your Lungs
  3. I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
  4. Paper Mache Dream Balloon
  5. 12 Bar Bruise
  6. Quarters!
  7. Oddments
  8. Eyes Like the Sky

This is why I love this forum. Never heard of King Gizzard before, but I've been listening to them for the last hour and a half on Spotify.

Hope to see them at the festival in the summer!

On 15/09/2016 at 7:04 PM, Mash011 said:

I remember someone somewhere (think it was Dental) said we need a Gizz thread, and with apparently four albums to come next year I wholeheartedly agree. Let's get these guys back to the farm in 2017, yeah?

I'll start us off with a classic list. Feel free to follow suit.

1. Nonagon Infinity
  2. Float Along - Fill Your Lungs
  3. I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
  4. Paper Mache Dream Balloon
  5. 12 Bar Bruise
  6. Quarters!
  7. Oddments
  8. Eyes Like the Sky

I'd like to add "Head On/Pill" to this list

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Pretty much my thoughts.

Loved mind fuzz. Really like Nonagon as a whole, even with the filler. But I fear the trajectory may be slowly downwards.  Can be the downside of being so prolific. Thee oh sees last couple of albums, in contrast, have been brilliant.

The latest track may sound a bit odd to you as it is their first experiment in microtonal tuning - from their site ;

Flying Microtonal Banana is King Gizzard’s first-ever experience in microtonal tuning, which features intervals smaller than a semitone and not found in customary Western tuning octaves.

“Earlier this year we started experimenting with a custom microtonal guitar our friend Zak made for Stu,” further explained drummer Eric Moore. “The guitar was modified to play in 24-TET tuning and could only be played with other microtonal instruments. We ended up giving everyone a budget of $200 to buy instruments and turn them microtonal. The record features the modified electric guitars, basses, keyboards and harmonica as well as a turkish horn called a Zurna.” – Eric Moore

The reason I'm a big fan is that each album seems to be it's own project with it's own rules. From acoustic (Paper Mache Dream Balloon) through psych (I'm in your mind fuzz) to Full on electric (Nonagon). I think they are similar to Flaming Lips in their bravery of experimenting with new techniques. If you don't like the current album then wait for a couple months and try the next. I reckon eventually they will bring all the styles into one astounding album, if not I'll still enjoy the journey.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I know that. But it's not that it sounds odd. The opposite in fact. As Calgon says, it sounds very very similar to a lot of the Nonagon tracks. 

Yeah, it's not that it sounds odd - compared to a lot of microtonal music from, e.g. India or the Middle East it's pretty straightforward.  It's that its a dull, repetitive slog of a song.