The Avalanches

Whittick

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Either way would do me tbh.

Though as comebacks go I dunno if this was a complete triumph.  The album had some good notices but it's kind of fallen out of the conversation regarding the best music of the year 

It never grabbed me like the debut, but on repeat listens, I'm enjoying it more. Very keen to see them live, in any form.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though as comebacks go I dunno if this was a complete triumph.  The album had some good notices but it's kind of fallen out of the conversation regarding the best music of the year 

when the first album came out it was doing something pretty unique and new (and their live shows were more-so).

It's old-hat now. It's hardly a surprise its not viewed in the same way.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Good news :) Will watch them if the clash gods allow it! They were a little disappointing at Field Day though :/

yeh they disappointed at Primavera too, apparently they had visa issues though which prevented their show from being what they (and I) hoped it would be. Hopefully they follow through with what they said about doing proper live shows in 2017.

I like these. I didn't know much about them back in the day but remember thinking Frontier Psychiatrist was an interesting and enjoyable tune, Thought I'd check them out this evening, and think Wildflower is a fantastic album. I get Lemon Jelly/Jurassic 5 vibes amongst many other things, but I like them too so makes sense. 

Thanks Glasto 2017 for introducing me to this album. I guess the connoisseurs on here will say the debut is better (although I know nothing of it other that the track mentioned above). I'm going to give the album a spin next. Not a very productive group though, are they? :lol:

10 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

yeh they disappointed at Primavera too, apparently they had visa issues though which prevented their show from being what they (and I) hoped it would be. Hopefully they follow through with what they said about doing proper live shows in 2017.

They played a legit live show at Splendour in the Grass, it was pretty good but obviously unrehearsed in parts (Spank Rock reading Frankie Sinatra lyrics off of a phone whilst rapping). They are headlining Falls Festival over New years, a little sneak peek at what the new set up should be.

11 hours ago, plaskins said:

Not a very productive group though, are they? :lol:

they're audio butterflys - always too interested in the next new idea to get anything finished.

If you really want to dive in deep, check out some of their mixtapes, live sets, and DJ sets. My personal favourite is Brains Party, tho I've yet to listen to the August 2001 sets, which are likely to be similar to the full-band show I saw at V2001 or the DJ set I saw at creamfields that year (one of the band broke his leg when another kicked him off stage, so it wasn't a live set as it should have been).

Edited by eFestivals

Wildflower is very enjoyable.  It reminds me of doing acid when I was younger. It starts off manic, ideas flying all over the place before it settles down into a lovely melodic, almost chilled vibe. It's an album I like to listen to from start to finish, and I don't come across many like that these days.