The Avalanches

Whittick

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Yeah even Thundercat was jammed in the early afternoon. 

What did you think by the way? Chilled out stuff but nothing to really grab me. 

Pretty good, although I could have done without one or two of the lengthy free-jazz interludes. Beautiful when it all came back together though. His voice and dress-sense were both great too. I was worried I was going to have to leave Moonlandingz early for it, which would have been the wrong decision - Moonlandingz were ideal - possibly the best thing I saw on Sat.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm a wee bit puzzled by folk - at this and The Jacksons - who don't just move forwards once they clock that the sound's not so good wherever they're standing.  

Fair enough at the Pyramid in a mega-crowd, but WH always has space further forward.

In hindsight I would have, but it would have been an effort. When Avalanches were announced as making their festival debut, my immediate reaction (to the poor sound) was that their sound engineer wasn't up to a big gig. If I knew that pushing forward would have made all the difference, I might have done it.

Plus, we were waiting for someone and rapidly losing any desire to stay there. It would have taken a great deal of will and faith in the sound to improve to blah a whole group to shove through an already dense crowd in the hope of improvement.

It's not like when you're side on at Other and you just need to shuffle to the centre. This would have been a right old 'elbows out' escapade, with no evidence of the dramatic improvement that has been reported.

Ah, hindsight.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The fucking righteous Frankie Sinatra seguing into Guns Of Brixton performance can never again be viewed by human eyes. But I was there, I saw it. It was a moment in time.

Yeah one of the best moments of the festival for me. Very unexpected too as it was early in the set. 

16 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The fucking righteous Frankie Sinatra seguing into Guns Of Brixton performance can never again be viewed by human eyes. But I was there, I saw it. It was a moment in time.

I could see it happening but I couldn't hear it. Could vaguely hear the words of Frankie Sinatra and couldnt heard Because I'm Me at all. Left swiftly after they started that Clash cover (I think?)

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@fatyeti24 we should have just pushed forward a bit, shouldn't we?

In hindsight, yeah

13 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Fantastic stuff, one of the highlights. More than a little gutted we didn't get Toots beforehand for an incredible 1-2 in the sunshine.

They didn't make it on time for their gig apparently. 

15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

In hindsight, yeah

They didn't make it on time for their gig apparently. 

They ended up playing in Shangri La on the Truth stage. I caught them playing 54-46 Was My Number as I walked in at some time around midnight - only for him to follow it up with 'thank you, goodnight!'

Edited by Homer

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

They ended up playing in Shangri La on the Truth stage. I caught them playing 54-46 Was My Number as I walked in at some time around midnight - only for him to follow it up with 'thank you, goodnight!'

I caught the same but assumed it was just a cover, or on the PA! Annoying, though I wouldn't have left Radiohead for them.

5 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I caught the same but assumed it was just a cover, or on the PA! Annoying, though I wouldn't have left Radiohead for them.

It was then mate - this was Sat night (after the Foo Fighters)!

Rat Boy, who I think is pretty good, was next on the bill, unknown to me, so can't really complain all in.

Edited by Homer

17 hours ago, Homer said:

It was then mate - this was Sat night (after the Foo Fighters)!

Rat Boy, who I think is pretty good, was next on the bill, unknown to me, so can't really complain all in.

Ha ha, good!! It was def Friday I heard some Toots in there, I went to SL later on the Sat. Glad I didn't miss it then!

• 4 years later...

With Avalanches' latest album We Will Always Love You being a bit of deeper experience than Wildflower, it seems apt that they've gone back to more of a DJ set live show.

And with them playing what I expect to be the sunset slot on the Park Saturday night, it could create a vibe like that of Jamie xx in 2015.  However, they can be hit and miss, so it's tempting to have Saturday be the night I hang out with a big group of friends at the Pyramid, and ensure a good spot for Macca.

They usually never allow themselves to be filmed, so here's a rare chance to see what we could be in for from Coachella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWN3p6gtBi4

There's 20 minutes of footage if you go back to 6:52am, so back 6 and a half hours or so to catch it.

Looks mint tbh.

Edited by Simpo

17 minutes ago, Simpo said:

They usually never allow themselves to be filmed, so here's a rare chance to see what we could be in for from Coachella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWN3p6gtBi4

There's 20 minutes of footage if you go back to 6:52am, so back 6 and a half hours or so to catch it.

Looks mint tbh.

Awesome, thanks