The Avalanches

Whittick

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was very different to when I saw them in 2001, tho I did expect it would be. They didn't have any vocalists previously, with that stuff coming via live mixing from turntables back then. Still enjoyable, tho.

I had to laugh at the claim it was their first Uk festival tho. Complete bullshit. I saw them at 2 different ones in 2001.

Oh I didn't hear them say that! haha. Chancers. 

Had no idea what to expect but really liked it. Funnily enough I thought the stuff off Wildflower worked better than the first album. 

i wasn't in a good spot for sound, and wandered off halfway through.  such a shame, i could see them doing the business on stage (but only just - why no screens?), but the sound was attrocious.  my biggest disappointment of the festival.

had i known it was much better closer to the front i may have found my way through, but generally i'm not a fan of being too far into the crowd.

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Oh I didn't hear them say that! haha. Chancers. 

it was the announcer who said it, tho seemingly cos the band had said it to her.

To cut them a bit of slack, most of those people on stage weren't involved in 2001. I'm guessing, but it was probably just two of them.

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Had no idea what to expect but really liked it. Funnily enough I thought the stuff off Wildflower worked better than the first album. 

that's not much of a surprise really, given that's the album they're promoting and the live set-up has been configured around that.

The thing that stood out for me compared to 2001 was that I got a much better idea of how they were doing what they were doing, whereas it was just a confusing blur back then. What i can't work out if whether that's the result of my own better understanding now of how 'electronic' acts do stuff live, or if it was really more obvious this time.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

i wasn't in a good spot for sound, and wandered off halfway through.  such a shame, i could see them doing the business on stage (but only just - why no screens?), but the sound was attrocious.  my biggest disappointment of the festival.

had i known it was much better closer to the front i may have found my way through, but generally i'm not a fan of being too far into the crowd.

it was a pretty dreadful sound for everyone, I think. It did improve a fair bit towards the end but still wasn't great.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

I agree.  I stayed till the end and I was relatively near the front, the sound was atrocious and as I couldn't see a thing it was boring.

I felt like I was listening to a backing track/PA thingy you hear between gigs the sound at WH was so bad. It was a really poor year for sound at this stage IMO. They should really consider in field stacks for the likes of the Other and WH. Was up the front right for Justice on Sunday night and the levels where just so underwhelming. The Foos had a bigger punch of sound when I was at my tent in Kidney Mead near Williams Green before heading to the Jacksons on Sat night, compared to any of the gigs I caught at WH this year :(

I thought they were fine, but no better than that. It's always tricky when you have to play from a backing track/DJ, but there were quite a few times when I was looking at the guitarist and wondering what he was doing, because I could hardly hear it in the mix.

You could see they were all giving it loads of energy, but it was just missing something for me. Either it was the sound, or a bit more of a 'live' element to the instrumentals. Looking at setlist.fm, it seems they've played the same exact set at every festival and gig for quite a while now, so I'm guessing everything is already queued up with little room for improvisation.

Solid festival gig, but not the best of the weekend.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I thought the sound was fine from where I was. Just inside the path on the right at the sound desk. 

I did notice at Justice that the sound was okish from the side but really loud and much better further back in the middle. 

If only we'd known. We were a little bit behind the desk on the right and whilst we could hear the parts, it had so little impact, there was no pleasure in it, so left despite a great love for the music from our group.

I showed up during the first song and the sound of the stage was so awful so I just went via the signing tent and merged into the crowd on the front row.

They were considerably better than when I saw them at Field Day last summer. The live set up and the male/female vocals worked much better, such a shame the general sound was awfully quiet because they sounded good, the vocals were set in a way that they were not easy to hear clearly more so from the female vocals than Danny's.

I met the band after the show, shook their hands and got a signed copy of Wildflower. Was pretty happy with that.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm a wee bit puzzled by folk - at this and The Jacksons - who don't just move forwards once they clock that the sound's not so good wherever they're standing.  

Fair enough at the Pyramid in a mega-crowd, but WH always has space further forward.

My missus wasn't up to dealing with dense / lively crowds due to illness so had to hold back in the quieter areas this year. Sound on West Holts seemed consistently awful anywhere further back than the sound desk and video screens were off for a lot of earlier acts so couldn't see anything. Sure the wind was part to blame, think a few repeaters on West Holts and Other stage would help a lot with that. Besides there wouldn't be enough room for everyone to move further forward.

Still managed a good quietish spot for Radiohead and Foo Fighters behind one of the first set of repeaters on Pyramid stage. Sound was excellent and thanks to the hill, video screens and stage light show the view was great too.

Edited by I am Jon

Yeah, fair enough there are sometimes reasons why it's just not feasible to go any closer.

The thing with repeaters in WH is maybe on a clear, less windy day when the sound is working better it can get pretty loud around William's Green.  I remember hearing Raghu Dixit pretty clearly from the middle of the markets.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah, fair enough there are sometimes reasons why it's just not feasible to go any closer.

The thing with repeaters in WH is maybe on a clear, less windy day when the sound is working better it can get pretty loud around William's Green.  I remember hearing Raghu Dixit pretty clearly from the middle of the markets.

Not a sound engineer, but I think the opposite may apply.

My understanding is the many repeaters on Pyramid have allowed them to hit consistent quality and high volumes throughout the field while reducing sound bleed into other areas and off site. The sound is more targeted into small segments across a shorter range so less prone to drifting on the wind which is the cause of most of the problems. 

Edited by I am Jon

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure the Pyramid sound bleeds into the WG area already. Walking down from Acoustic one can hear who is on the Pyramid.

Id say the lack of repeaters is a budget thing myself

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

WH crew aren't used to crowds that consistently big. Its rare I've seen the crowd go back to within the flags at the back. Chic in 2013 being a rare one but there was a load of gigs this year that were that size. 

Yeah totally. Hot 8, Justice, Thundercat were all rammed when I was there (Toots would have been as well). Can't talk about the rest of the bands on, but with the line up being so good they must have had more people down there than normal.

23 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Yeah totally. Hot 8, Justice, Thundercat were all rammed when I was there (Toots would have been as well). Can't talk about the rest of the bands on, but with the line up being so good they must have had more people down there than normal.

Yeah even Thundercat was jammed in the early afternoon. 

What did you think by the way? Chilled out stuff but nothing to really grab me.