Bands for 2017

eagles69

5 hours ago, bobbyperu said:

Nice little EOTR sized gap in the tour dates just announced by The Magnetic Fields 

would be amazing!

Hmm, might be too small a gap. The tour looks to be 50 Song Memoir across two nights at every venue - even festivals - and there's only the middle pin available for EOTR.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23 March 2017 at 7:54 PM, bobbyperu said:

Yeah almost certainly wishful thinking on my part! 

Got tickets for his Edinburgh festival dates today. Hadn't listened to him (heard the name plenty) before you mentioned it here. He sounds very interesting. Cheers. 

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:44 AM, ListeningWind said:

First time EOTR attendee.... any ideas if we're in line for any smaller announcements based on prior years or is the line up pretty much finalised? Really happy with what's been announced but I guess I'm being greedy :)

There were further announcements in both May and June last year, including acts near the top of the bill (The Shins, Ezra Furman, Beak>, etc).  But then there were a lot fewer bands initially announced.  There’s a whopping 88 acts already revealed for 2017, and pretty much every recent year has had slightly above 90 but less than 100 acts in total, once the Thursday night bands are included.  So we might have another half dozen maybe, unless they plan to change the format radically. 

(Hopefully the handful left to be announced will be great though...)

Simon just posted a picture of the line up poster on a wall in the tube, and it looks like King Khan & The Shrines and Yndi Halda have sneakily been added. I remember really loving Yndi Halda's debut many years ago but had totally forgotten about them until now, so will have to revisit that album and have a listen to their new one.

The poster also says there are more acts still to be confirmed, so I think we can expect another (small) announcement similar to the one they made in June last year.

3 hours ago, Keneth said:

If there's going to be any additions to the line-up then I'm hoping and praying that they add some good old fashioned rock n roll. I've just had enough of all the pretentious odd ball stuff that's coloured this year's offering. 

the majority of acts on the bill are more or less "good old fashioned rock n roll." i'm very confused by what is meant by "pretentious odd ball stuff." maybe you could provide examples... cos if anything, this year's line up is more conservative and less leftfield than the last few years.

not that that makes it worse - or better - but i am a little lost by what you mean. there's an abundance of rock music... and as for "pretentious" - not only is it a subjective word, but it is largely vacuous and empty. there are certainly some "odd ball" acts on the bill but they are also, as far as i'm concerned, some of the better acts!

Edited by WM Hall

I seem to have hit a nerve! Perhaps it's just my lack of good vocabulary and pretentious was the wrong word to use in this context. If there's a good word out there to describe musical weirdness then I'm all ears. As for good old fashioned R&R, no gimmicks and no David Brent dancing required. 

And yet you still haven't been able to provide any examples of "musical weirdness", and seem to have ignored the vast swathes of "Rock & Roll" that is already on the bill.

If the following don't satiate your desire straight forward guitar music, then I don't think EOTR is the festival for you:

• Band Of Horses
  • Jesus And Mary Chain
  • Ty Segall
  • Parquet Courts
  • Japandroids
  • Pond
  • The Moonlandingz
  • Omni
  • Pond
  • Car Seat Headrest

To name just a few.

I have to admit that the EOTR festival ticket was a mistake on my part, especially after the line-up was announced. I was slightly concerned when the only band that I had heard of was the Jesus and Mary Chain! Just Caught a live session on 6 music by The Wave Pictures, clever lyrics, great musicianship just right up my street.

keneth you like what you like. you have not hit a nerve with me. there has always been what you call rock and roll at eotr. band of horses are very much a rock and roll band. a bit too rock and roll for me and slightly boring. but there is somethimg for everyone at the eotr. personally i would prefer lots more weirdness there. but its still a great festival . if you do go im sure you will love it. 

6 hours ago, Keneth said:

I have to admit that the EOTR festival ticket was a mistake on my part, especially after the line-up was announced. I was slightly concerned when the only band that I had heard of was the Jesus and Mary Chain! Just Caught a live session on 6 music by The Wave Pictures, clever lyrics, great musicianship just right up my street.

21 hours ago, Keneth said:

If there's going to be any additions to the line-up then I'm hoping and praying that they add some good old fashioned rock n roll. I've just had enough of all the pretentious odd ball stuff that's coloured this year's offering. 

You seem to have wandered into the wrong pub mate. There’s a boozer down the road that has a Happy Hour offer on cooking lager and Kasabian on the jukebox. 

1 hour ago, Keneth said:

I'm definitely in the wrong boozer if it's full of bearded men drinking gin and cucumber whilst listening to Future Islands on the jukebox. 

MAN GOES TO FESTIVAL THAT HAS BEEN RELENTLESSLY INDIE FOR 11 OUT OF THE LAST 11 YEARS.

MAN COMPLAINS THAT THIS YEAR AFOREMENTIONED FESTIVAL IS INDIE NOT ROCK.

16 hours ago, Keneth said:

I seem to have hit a nerve! Perhaps it's just my lack of good vocabulary and pretentious was the wrong word to use in this context. If there's a good word out there to describe musical weirdness then I'm all ears. As for good old fashioned R&R, no gimmicks and no David Brent dancing required. 

Not exactly 'hit a nerve' but it does seem very strange that you'd buy a ticket to a festival and then complain about the line up - especially when those complaints are (1) about how there isn't enough rock n roll - which there is plenty of and (2) that it is full of 'oddball' music - which is what the festival has had a reputation for in recent years. It seems as though you can't quite figure out what you're complaining about...

If you go to the festival I'm sure you'd enjoy it, so long as you approach the weekend with an open mind.

I'm still going and with an open mind. I may come away dissapointed as I'm not the type of music fan that thinks everything is awesome and brilliant even when it's just a bit rubbish. 

Anyway, what's wrong with Kasabian? If there good enough for Jules!