Bands for 2017

eagles69

17 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Aldous Harding going up against Ryley Walker and Parquet Courts is the only really bad one for me...will be a shame to miss her but there's always something like that, I'm just glad there's not more of it!

This is my only real one as well. To a lesser extent Duds vs Nadine Shah and Timber Timbre vs Nadia Reid. 

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Swanmob said:

Oh and I'm not thrilled about Slowdive vs Bo Ningen on the Thursday. Will go with BN though I think.  

Yep same dilemma for me. I saw bo ningen at glastonbury so will go for slowdive next week. Not seen them since the 90s so looking forward to it.  

There is also a clash earlier between moonlandingz and the surfing magazines. Still not fully decided on that one yet

1 hour ago, psbros said:

Getting seriously excited now ... such quality bands this year. 

No idea which headliners to pick between garden stage and woods stage though ... anyone else having that dilemma? 

yup pretty much all three headline clashes are gonna be mood dependent for me on the night I think. Leaning towards Lucinda Williams, Father John Misty and Bill Callaghan I think but wouldn't be surprised if I go the other way on all three.  Only saw Thee Oh Sees out of last years top line names so it's nice to be spoilt for choice this time I guess.

Any recommendations for Friday? My weakest day. Definitely want to see Julie Byrne, Aldous Harding and Ultimate Painting but plenty of gaps apart from those.

9 hours ago, domjon said:

yup pretty much all three headline clashes are gonna be mood dependent for me on the night I think. Leaning towards Lucinda Williams, Father John Misty and Bill Callaghan I think but wouldn't be surprised if I go the other way on all three.  Only saw Thee Oh Sees out of last years top line names so it's nice to be spoilt for choice this time I guess.

Any recommendations for Friday? My weakest day. Definitely want to see Julie Byrne, Aldous Harding and Ultimate Painting but plenty of gaps apart from those.

Suspect you'll find some great stuff in those gaps on Friday ... Riley Walker in garden, with a couple of ciders, was ace a couple of years ago.

IDER and Kelly Lee Owens offer something different, and Margaret Glaspy sounds pretty good...

I've hardly ever seen a duff act at this festival

6 hours ago, psbros said:

Suspect you'll find some great stuff in those gaps on Friday ... Riley Walker in garden, with a couple of ciders, was ace a couple of years ago.

Ryley  Walker was indeed great a few years back - laid back John Martyn like sounds. But saw him at Glastonbury this year and please be aware he's gone electric and now sounds more like Crazy Horse!

7 hours ago, cortezuk said:

Ryley  Walker was indeed great a few years back - laid back John Martyn like sounds. But saw him at Glastonbury this year and please be aware he's gone electric and now sounds more like Crazy Horse!

... sounds like he should be put in the Big Top then ...

On 25/08/2017 at 9:57 PM, buddiepaul said:

Yep same dilemma for me. I saw bo ningen at glastonbury so will go for slowdive next week. Not seen them since the 90s so looking forward to it.  

There is also a clash earlier between moonlandingz and the surfing magazines. Still not fully decided on that one yet

Yeah I've got that Thursday night dilemma in wanting to see everything in the Tipi but also Moonlandingz. May have to see what getting in and out of the Tipi is like.

Early Friday looks quiet apart from Goat Girl, some late research required.

Saw a bunch of EOTR bands at Sea Change Festival this weekend, here are my thoughts:

W. H. Lung - Absolutely superb, probably the best new band I have seen all year. Hard to believe that these guys are probably no older than 18-19 years old as there is so much complexity and so many layers to their music. Look out for the drummer as he really is the beating heart of the band and keeps it all together like a metronome.

Aldous Harding - Meh. The music is fine, but I find her freaky persona and over-exaggerated facial expressions a bit off-putting. It's not easy to take her performance seriously when she seems pretty intent on making it look like she's having a seizure on stage.

Ryley Walker - Cortezuk is right that he's undergone a bit of a transformation since his last EOTR performance, though I do remember quite a bit of jamming and noodling during that set. Not gonna complain though, as his band is phenomenal and the jammy parts were all pretty engaging.

Lowly - Really beautiful set, they were quite a bit heavier and more pulsating than they are on record. Definitely deserving of a later and longer slot than they have at EOTR.

Douglas Dare - Such a talented pianist & vocalist and sounded really amazing in Totnes church. Not sure how well it will translate to the Piano Stage, but definitely worth a look-in for those that haven't given him a listen yet.

1 hour ago, ljsawyer said:

Saw a bunch of EOTR bands at Sea Change Festival this weekend, here are my thoughts:

W. H. Lung - Absolutely superb, probably the best new band I have seen all year. Hard to believe that these guys are probably no older than 18-19 years old as there is so much complexity and so many layers to their music. Look out for the drummer as he really is the beating heart of the band and keeps it all together like a metronome.

Aldous Harding - Meh. The music is fine, but I find her freaky persona and over-exaggerated facial expressions a bit off-putting. It's not easy to take her performance seriously when she seems pretty intent on making it look like she's having a seizure on stage.

Ryley Walker - Cortezuk is right that he's undergone a bit of a transformation since his last EOTR performance, though I do remember quite a bit of jamming and noodling during that set. Not gonna complain though, as his band is phenomenal and the jammy parts were all pretty engaging.

Lowly - Really beautiful set, they were quite a bit heavier and more pulsating than they are on record. Definitely deserving of a later and longer slot than they have at EOTR.

Douglas Dare - Such a talented pianist & vocalist and sounded really amazing in Totnes church. Not sure how well it will translate to the Piano Stage, but definitely worth a look-in for those that haven't given him a listen yet.

Thank you this is really useful, especially another heads up for W H Lung.

Bill Callahan

Lucinda Williams

Slowdive

Band of Horses

Lemon Twigs

Nadine Shah

Bill Ryder Jones

Ryley Walker

Courtney Marie Andrews

Timber Timbre

Daniel Romano

John Smith

Michael Chapman

Nap Eyes (Probably these more than anyone)

Aaron Lee Tasjan

John Moreland

WH lung

Some will no doubt clash. Also, hoping to check out some bands I've never heard

and wont listen before hand, looking for someone to blow my mind on first listen. There's always at least one.

15 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Caught up with Lowly on You Tube after your recommendation and really like them, now on my list of definites to go see. thanks

3 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

I see that Wild Beasts, Jon Hopkins, Pinegrove and Flamingods all played secret sets last year. Were they TBAs or totally unannounced sets?

Pinegrove and Flamingods were your traditional secret Tipi sets. Wild Beasts were a secret but in an announced slot, Jon Hopkins was a total surprise but I think he was only meant to be on the disco ship. The weather meant that he was moved to the Big Top, and it was mega!