Bands for 2017

eagles69

3 hours ago, shoebox said:

Wild Beasts was embarrassingly sparse during the early part of their set. Filled up a little later, but was practically empty at the beginning.

Judging by the reactions around Bill's announcement, I think the Garden stage will be plenty big enough, but I guess it all depends who he's up against.

And there's probably some overestimation regarding JAMC's popularity. Certainly amongst the younger members of the audience.

Agree about JAMC. They'd be great as Garden headliners keeping the parrots awake in the same way Dinosaur Jr and Thee Oh Sees have done in previous years. Otherwise they could fill the same slot as Fanclub late Sunday night in the Big Top.

God I wish it was late August.    

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Dylan's Big Toe said:

Anyone notice on the email yesterday announcing the comedy acts that they've said "more acts to be announced" after the music lineup.  Thought we more or less had our full line-up for music, except maybe competition winners?

I make it they are around 10 short of last year's total bands so I think there should be another small announcement.  

There are normally 90-odd bands over the whole weekend. About 93 last year I think. Minus the cancellations there are 89 bands confirmed for this year already so I cannot imagine too many additions being made. Maybe all we've got to come are the competition winners.

If you could choose another artist to join the bill (realistic answers only) who would you go for?

As I've said already I'd go Feist or Okkervil River.  

17 minutes ago, Avon said:

There are normally 90-odd bands over the whole weekend. About 93 last year I think. Minus the cancellations there are 89 bands confirmed for this year already so I cannot imagine too many additions being made. Maybe all we've got to come are the competition winners.

If you could choose another artist to join the bill (realistic answers only) who would you go for?

Shearwater

22 minutes ago, Avon said:

Would be happy with either of the above.  But I'd LOVE Sigur Ros again (they have a European tour starting in September).

Weren't Slowcoaches, The Burning Hell and Night Flowers the competition winners? Or am I confusing that announcement with something else?

One thing we're lacking this year, especially following the Girl Band cancellation, is a few noisier, heavier acts. Would love to see some psych-rock bands added, like Moon Duo or Dungen.

Edited by ljsawyer

51 minutes ago, Avon said:

"Realistic answers" ... "Feist"

I don't think we'll get any more big acts let alone someone who could headline. Think it'll a few More tiny bands at the bottom of the lineup, possible replacement for pwr bttm in shape of frankie cosmos or girlpool 

On 1/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, Dylan's Big Toe said:

On another note, Jason Isbell is back in the studio.  Would love to see him play the Garden Stage.

He just released a new album. His songs are so well written that even a non-country fan gets pulled in. I saw him live a few years ago and he has a talent to just pull in and mesmerize his audience.

Edited by JacquelineS

6 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Weren't Slowcoaches, The Burning Hell and Night Flowers the competition winners? Or am I confusing that announcement with something else?

One thing we're lacking this year, especially following the Girl Band cancellation, is a few noisier, heavier acts. Would love to see some psych-rock bands added, like Moon Duo or Dungen.

Actually gutted now because I genuinely thought Moon Duo were already on the line up, and now realise that they're not there : (

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Aldous Harding has unexpectedly leaped on to my must-see list. Brilliant new album.

I’ve seen her live a couple of times, most recently at The Great Escape a couple of weeks ago, and she is really is entrancing live.  No idea what stage would be best for her though.  She also does an unusually good line in between song banter.

90 acts announced, and 90 days until EOTR.

8 hours ago, Goodfinger said:

I’ve seen her live a couple of times, most recently at The Great Escape a couple of weeks ago, and she is really is entrancing live.  No idea what stage would be best for her though.  She also does an unusually good line in between song banter.

90 acts announced, and 90 days until EOTR.

So feedback from Primavera.

Sinkane and Pond spectacularly excellent. Only listened to one mac demarco song but seemed a bit lightweight.

On 2017-5-18 at 2:29 PM, OddRon said:

"Realistic answers" ... "Feist"

I don't think we'll get any more big acts let alone someone who could headline. Think it'll a few More tiny bands at the bottom of the lineup, possible replacement for pwr bttm in shape of frankie cosmos or girlpool 

I'm sort of expecting a bigger name to headline up against Bill Callahan with him playing the Garden Stage. I don't think BC is quite as big, and will ram the arena, as much as some think. I may be one of two dissenters on here, but this forum is not the representative view of the festival goers. Let's call them the youngsters, shall we? Probably not aware of Callahan's pedigree and style...may be seeking alternative entertainment.

On 2017-6-5 at 1:30 PM, AndyfromBrackley said:

I'm sort of expecting a bigger name to headline up against Bill Callahan with him playing the Garden Stage. I don't think BC is quite as big, and will ram the arena, as much as some think. I may be one of two dissenters on here, but this forum is not the representative view of the festival goers. Let's call them the youngsters, shall we? Probably not aware of Callahan's pedigree and style...may be seeking alternative entertainment.

I don't know why everyone is expecting a new act, they're almost certainly just switching whoever was meant to play the other stage surely, in this case its JMAC which would be much better suited to the main stage

It might not be an new act to take over the Woods Stage, but the organisers do keep saying that there are more acts on the way.  I've just received an email about EOTR travel options, and again they've used the terms "Line up so far" and "More acts to be announced".

So there will be some new stuff on the bill.  Whereabouts on the bill is anyone's guess... but I suspect that there won't be that many, and they'll mostly be reasonably well-known (from a EOTR-punter perspective).

35 minutes ago, OddRon said:

I don't know why everyone is expecting a new act, they're almost certainly just switching whoever was meant to play the other stage surely, in this case its JMAC which would be much better suited to the main stage

jamc are suited to headline the big top. dont see them as headliners of the woods at all. i think there will be another annoncement. 

4 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

Beach Fossils have just announced a tour in the UK at the beginning of September

Nice gap in their schedule for EOTR, really enjoyed their last album and the new one's pretty cool too. Would be very surprised if they're not included in the next announcement.

On 3 June 2017 at 0:22 AM, xxialac said:

So feedback from Primavera.

Sinkane and Pond spectacularly excellent. Only listened to one mac demarco song but seemed a bit lightweight.

Good to know. Had planned on trying to catch both and will certainly make more of an effort now. Incidentally that primavera lineup looked immense, slayer, converge, arcade fire..some of my all time faves there. 

Based off last year's we'll be getting stage splits within a couple weeks, yeah? Looks like a few more came with that announcement last time, including Ezra Furman who would've been one of my top must-sees. So here's hoping for some nice surprises.

Just a pet theory, but as said last year late addition was Ezra who headlined the Garden Stage. Perhaps they were going to announce same this year, late addition as headliner for Garden stage, but with the change of BC that potential act has been bumped up to Woods Stage if they appear to be getting bigger and enabled them to move BC?