Bands for 2017

eagles69

2 minutes ago, OddRon said:

I don't think we'll get a new headliner, I think whoever was going to play the garden stage will play the woods stage whilst bill plays garden, so judging from lineup, Jesus and mary chain

that's what I was thinking also, Jesus and Mary Chain seem the most obvious act to make step up.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, dirty_dog said:

are we deffo getting another 3rd headliner and who are the realistic possibilities ?

what Festivals does EOTR usually share headliners with ?

Electric Picnic is on in Ireland the same weekend.  There's usually some crossover between it and EOTR, though it is a larger festival (about 30,000 capacity).

The XX headline EP on the Friday so could potentially be available for the Sunday at EOTR, but I tend to agree that there probably won't be another headliner announced.  Not sure JAMC are big enough to draw a big crowd to the Woods Stage though....

1 hour ago, Dylan's Big Toe said:

Interpol are free on the Sunday, but playing EOTR would mean they'd have gigs 6 nights running in England, Ireland and France.

Interpol are in Manchester on the Sunday, although I agree that they're really packing in those gigs all over Europe.

I reckon Band Of Horses might also step up to the Woods on Sunday.  They've two other festivals that weekend (Electric Fields and Electric Picnic), so the Saturday mentioned on their website might not be set in stone.  I'd personally prefer JAMC in the same late-night slot that Teenage Fanclub had last year.

In terms of a fourth headliner, I think it depends on whether the EOTR organisers might use this shifting of stages to introduce another major act to the line-up.  And I guess that will depend mostly on how the ticket sales are going, and whether they're on schedule to sell out.

Just noticed the unfortunate wording of the previous announcement

"we are thrilled to have PWR BTTM dropping in on an unsuspecting Larmer Tree audience – turning gender politics into loud, infectiously positive, glorious rock music centred around what it means to be young and queer and confused"

5 hours ago, Goodfinger said:

Interpol are in Manchester on the Sunday, although I agree that they're really packing in those gigs all over Europe.

I reckon Band Of Horses might also step up to the Woods on Sunday.  They've two other festivals that weekend (Electric Fields and Electric Picnic), so the Saturday mentioned on their website might not be set in stone.  I'd personally prefer JAMC in the same late-night slot that Teenage Fanclub had last year.

In terms of a fourth headliner, I think it depends on whether the EOTR organisers might use this shifting of stages to introduce another major act to the line-up.  And I guess that will depend mostly on how the ticket sales are going, and whether they're on schedule to sell out.

I agree although it seems strange that Bill Callaghan - who was clearly earmarked for Woods when he was first announced - has been shifted to the Garden following Eotr seeing his recent intimate London shows. Surely it couldn't have been a surprise to them that he is a very low key performer best suited to smaller venues.

You're right that Band of Horses are more of a Woods headliner and they're the obvious choice to fill the gap although I'm holding out hope that Eotr will thrill us with a new name. How about Feist? She's touring her new album this summer, playing festivals in Europe in mid-August etc and has the talent and charisma to make the Woods stage her own. 

1 hour ago, Avon said:

I agree although it seems strange that Bill Callaghan - who was clearly earmarked for Woods when he was first announced - has been shifted to the Garden following Eotr seeing his recent intimate London shows. Surely it couldn't have been a surprise to them that he is a very low key performer best suited to smaller venues.

Did he perform solo in London? Perhaps EOTR were thinking he would do a full blown band (like Sufjan) but after speaking to him he has indicated that he intends to be more stripped back thannorivinally thought?

Or maybe they had picked up on feedback that doubted whether his presence could attract a Wood stage size crowd?

18 hours ago, cortezuk said:

Did he perform solo in London? Perhaps EOTR were thinking he would do a full blown band (like Sufjan) but after speaking to him he has indicated that he intends to be more stripped back thannorivinally thought?

Or maybe they had picked up on feedback that doubted whether his presence could attract a Wood stage size crowd?

I think Bill Callahan with or without a band would have been better placed on the Garden. Let's be honest it's a beautiful setting where most Eotr-type artists are better suited anyway.

In recent years the Woods headliners have either been either bands capable of making a loud racket - Tame Impala, Grandaddy, War on Drugs, Flaming Lips or artier acts that put on a show - Bat for Lashes, St Vincent, Sigur Ros, Animal Collective, or else people who would attract too big a crowd to be accommodated in the Garden area - Sufjan, Newsom, Belle & Sebastian. Whether you like him or not Callahan falls into none of these camps.

Far be it from me to question the Eotr bookers, whose judgement has been proven to be spot on time and time again, but I'm glad they have seen sense and put him where he will work best. Now just book Feist, Okkervil River, and maybe get Broken Social Scene back and we're good to go.

2 hours ago, Avon said:

Far be it from me to question the Eotr bookers, whose judgement has been proven to be spot on time and time again, but I'm glad they have seen sense and put him where he will work best. Now just book Feist, Okkervil River, and maybe get Broken Social Scene back and we're good to go.

This...

Where are you getting the news that Bill Callahan is in the Garden Stage, surely that will be too cramped for a massive artist like him. Bizarre scheduling this year - the only two "big name acts" Bill Callahan and JMC not on mainstage. 

Let's hope there's not another Joanna Newsom moment where they book a clunker and try to cover it up by shutting all the other stages. 

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

Where are you getting the news that Bill Callahan is in the Garden Stage, surely that will be too cramped for a massive artist like him. Bizarre scheduling this year - the only two "big name acts" Bill Callahan and JMC not on mainstage. 

Let's hope there's not another Joanna Newsom moment where they book a clunker and try to cover it up by shutting all the other stages. 

From their twitter account

Inspired by last week’s intimate London shows, we're excited to say that Bill Callahan will headline the Garden Stage instead of the Woods!

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

Bill Callahan will be just perfect on the garden stage. Some pretty big artists have played on there. Explosions in the sky, low, Mac demarco, okkervile river, john grant, calexico, modest mouse, Wilco, iron and wine, fleet foxes,

2 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Bill Callahan will be just perfect on the garden stage. Some pretty big artists have played on there. Explosions in the sky, low, Mac demarco, okkervile river, john grant, calexico, modest mouse, Wilco, iron and wine, fleet foxes,

Yeah but surely the stage won't be able to accommodate the number of people who will want to see him? I'm not complaining, I like the idea of him on that stage but won't it be absolutely manic for his slot? 

6 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

Yeah but surely the stage won't be able to accommodate the number of people who will want to see him? I'm not complaining, I like the idea of him on that stage but won't it be absolutely manic for his slot? 

personally i think the garden stage will acommodate him perfectly. i think the woods stage was the wrong choice for him. . for me the woods stage has been too big for a few of he artists who have headlined there. grizzly bear wonderful not full at all, could have been on the garden stage. 

Wild Beasts was embarrassingly sparse during the early part of their set. Filled up a little later, but was practically empty at the beginning.

Judging by the reactions around Bill's announcement, I think the Garden stage will be plenty big enough, but I guess it all depends who he's up against.

And there's probably some overestimation regarding JAMC's popularity. Certainly amongst the younger members of the audience.