Bands for 2017

eagles69

pretty happy with the acts announced. bill Callahan caught him live a couple of times. lovely. think he would have been made for the garden stage. not so sure about the woods. most excited about Blank mass. 

also happy with Japandroids, waxahatchee,rolling blackouts coastel fever. 

Edited by wolfamongwolves

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the mailout about Thursday:

THURSDAY NIGHT

The Big Top and Tipi stage will both be live on Thursday evening. Slowdive are headlining the Big Top supported by The Moonlandingz. End of The Road veterans will know that we always have the Tipi Stage running on Thursdayevening, but that last year we ran the Woods Stage too for a one-off special by The Shins. So you can make your travel plans, we wanted to be very clear about what is happening this year.

3 hours ago, OddRon said:

saw him support mac demarco in london last year, proper weird guy, acted like alex turner and bowie's love child and it was just him and this sax guy who looked like an accountant, got a lot of laughs and heckling, could tell it was'nt the right crowd

Well it's meant to be a bit of a gimmick as he's playing a washed up 80's performer. So the laughs are probably appropriate, the heckling doesn't sound so much. Depends what they said. :P

1 hour ago, Keneth said:

This will be my first EOTR, having regretted most of the previous missed ones and I`m now very much looking forward to the experience. Despite a bit of a wobble when the first wave of acts was announced I`m now excited about a musical voyage of discovery. I can honestly say that I am not familiar with many of the acts, including two thirds of the headliners. I was wondering if any experienced EOTR`s feels that this year the organisers have taken a different direction or backwards step in terms of the popularity of the acts?  Was it becoming a bit too mainstream? I heard the founder of the festival on the radio saying that he always wanted a very personal feeling to the event so has this been lacking in recent years?

I've seen this said but I think that's just looking at it in hindsight. Tame Impala and St. Vincent and stuff were being booked before they properly blew up. Father John Misty and Mac DeMarco are at a similar jumpoff point right now and could easily be seen as 'mainstream' bookings by this time next year. Heck, Father John Misty has writing credits on the Beyoncé and Lady Gaga's albums last year - that's more mainstream than most EOTR headliners, right? :lol:

Bill Callahan... I'm admittedly surprised he's been chosen to headline but given the acts they usually book I'm sure he'll be seen as deserving of such a slot by attendees.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Well it's meant to be a bit of a gimmick as he's playing a washed up 80's performer. So the laughs are probably appropriate, the heckling doesn't sound so much. Depends what they said. :P

I've seen this said but I think that's just looking at it in hindsight. Tame Impala and St. Vincent and stuff were being booked before they properly blew up. Father John Misty and Mac DeMarco are at a similar jumpoff point right now and could easily be seen as 'mainstream' bookings by this time next year. Heck, Father John Misty has writing credits on the Beyoncé and Lady Gaga's albums last year - that's more mainstream than most EOTR headliners, right? :lol:

Bill Callahan... I'm admittedly surprised he's been chosen to headline but given the acts they usually book I'm sure he'll be seen as deserving of such a slot by attendees.

lot of 16 year olds  shouting random shit  about wanting  mac demarco, think the irony was wasted on them

Just now, OddRon said:

lot of 16 year olds  shouting random shit  about wanting  mac demarco, think the irony was wasted on them

Hmm yeah I hear bad things about his following (not yourself I'm sure!). Will probably hear some more if I look on here after EOTR is over this year too. :P

If we take the line-up poster at face value then we end up with the headliners being (Woods Stage / Garden Stage):

Friday : Father John Misty / Band of Horses

Saturday : Mac DeMarco / Lucinda Williams

Sunday : Bill Callahan / The Jesus and Mary Chain

So those would all be clashes.  Not ideal for me, but I'd be happy enough with that.  Stronger headliners could have made the clashes worse, and then I'm unhappy about not being in two places at once or having to split my time between 2 stages.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Hmm yeah I hear bad things about his following (not yourself I'm sure!). Will probably hear some more if I look on here after EOTR is over this year too. :P

he did a quiet stripped back set last week in London which resulted in loads of young girls pissed  stage invading just to take selfies  which irritated even him,  let alone the rest of us, very cringey stuff

1 hour ago, OddRon said:

I find it strange that people would go to see Mac Demarco and then not be respectful of the support, considering that he always seems to select them himself and has surrounded himself with 'weird' acts for his whole career -- if someone actually likes Mac Demarco they would know that he's good friends with, and has performed with, Tonstartssbandht, Jerry Paper, Sean Nicholas Savage... no?

Then again his fanbase is generally really really unbelievably irritating

Anyway re. this announcement -- I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the lo-fi cock rock that seems to have invaded EOTR this year but...

Bill Callahan should be great. I'm curious about how he will do on the main stage and whether he will 'fill' it (not in terms of audience size but sound). I definitely agree with some of the earlier posts that suggest Simon & co are descaling the festival a little. The headliners are a little more low-key and less established. Less spectacle (in contrast to Flaming Lips, Sufjan, DB+St V, Sigur Ros) but definitely still suitable headliners.. I think this is no bad thing!!

Mdou Moctar will be awesome - I think this is a real coup!

Daniel Romano - will be good to see him, his album from 2015 was v enjoyable.

Slowdive.. I really ought to invest more time in but definitely worth checking out.

I don't think there's anyway they are booking smaller acts on purpose- festival bookings, especially headliners, is so precarious you have to just go with the best you can get. There's no way they would turn down say The National, and go for Bill Callahan instead if they had both options.

2 hours ago, Born in the fifties said:

If we take the line-up poster at face value then we end up with the headliners being (Woods Stage / Garden Stage):

Friday : Father John Misty / Band of Horses

Saturday : Mac DeMarco / Lucinda Williams

Sunday : Bill Callahan / The Jesus and Mary Chain

So those would all be clashes.  Not ideal for me, but I'd be happy enough with that.  Stronger headliners could have made the clashes worse, and then I'm unhappy about not being in two places at once or having to split my time between 2 stages.

Band Of Horses are playing the Saturday according to their website

4 hours ago, Keneth said:

This will be my first EOTR, having regretted most of the previous missed ones and I`m now very much looking forward to the experience. Despite a bit of a wobble when the first wave of acts was announced I`m now excited about a musical voyage of discovery. I can honestly say that I am not familiar with many of the acts, including two thirds of the headliners. I was wondering if any experienced EOTR`s feels that this year the organisers have taken a different direction or backwards step in terms of the popularity of the acts?  Was it becoming a bit too mainstream? I heard the founder of the festival on the radio saying that he always wanted a very personal feeling to the event so has this been lacking in recent years?

I don't think it's a step back in popularity, it's just that the popularity is more evenly distributed across the bill. The headliners might be slightly 'smaller' than in previous years, but there are tons of well-established acts right towards the bottom of the poster. I can already count over 30 that I want to see (yep, it's going to be clashtastic), and that's without having done any research at all, bar Omni. It could just be that this particular line-up is right up my alley, but most people I have spoken to agree that the undercard is incredibly strong this year.

The references made to the quality of the "undercard" has given me a boost. Having little interest in the headline acts opens things up nicely. Thursday's the only one that's floating my boat at the moment. 

Edited by Keneth

9 hours ago, Born in the fifties said:

I just did a bit more internet research.....

Lucinda Williams is Friday,

FJM and BOH are Saturday,

JAMC are Sunday.

Bill Callahan and MDM don't show dates / specific day.

Given how loud they can be I think J&MC may have a similar slot to Teenage Fanclub last year. 11.30 in the big top to finish everything off once the main stage headliner has finished.

43 minutes ago, bobbyperu said:

Given how loud they can be I think J&MC may have a similar slot to Teenage Fanclub last year. 11.30 in the big top to finish everything off once the main stage headliner has finished.

Kinda what I'm thinking too. That said, we had Dinosaur Jr on the Garden up against Belle & Sebastian on the Woods one year. Teenage Fanclub's slot last year may well have just been to appease the Newsom h8ers and provide a more upbeat closer to the festival.

Also expecting BOH to sub-FJM on Woods, as opposed to them headlining on the Garden stage.

18 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Also expecting BOH to sub-FJM on Woods, as opposed to them headlining on the Garden stage.

That's an interesting concept. You might be right. Had just assumed BOH would headline the Garden Stage but if they are both playing Saturday it may well be that they go on before FJM. 

May allow someone like Ty Seagal to headline the Garden Stage?

I too think that JAMC will be last in in the big top. So who else other than Lucinda Williams may be topping the Garden Stage - we all know that headlining the Garden Stage is really the top slot  at this festival!