Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, GG306 said:

How is Bill Callahan a headliner? Never heard of him until today.

At least Japandroids are inc in the new announcement. Apart from them, disappointed. Is there another wave to announce?

That's EOTR though innit...For all that we're on here asking for your Interpols, Nationals, Nick Caves etc if they were to turn up they would probably change the demographic a bit. And cost too much.

Edited by domjon

2 minutes ago, domjon said:

That's EOTR though innit...For all that we're on here asking for your Interpols, Nationals, Nick Caves etc if they were to turn up they would probably change the demographic a bit. And cost too much.

True! It's my first eotr this year so I guess this is how they usually do it. I will check him out though

3 minutes ago, GG306 said:

True! It's my first eotr this year so I guess this is how they usually do it. I will check him out though

Tbh the three times I've been I've hardly been interested in the headliners at all...This year I'll have to have at least a peek at all three. 

The woods stage is by far the worst stage anyway imho...I wouldn't worry it's a great festival you'll find plenty to keep you coming back for more.

Edited by domjon

This is so good I'm actually crying.

Bill Callahan, Japandroids, Timber Timbre, Mdou Moctar(!), Blanck Mass, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever (!!) and Lowly. 

Especially excited about RBCF - heard them when they dropped the Talk Tight mini LP early last year and haven't stopped listening since then. New EP is sounding wonderful as well.

its does seem like its going back to a smaller festival type thing after headlining with tame impala, sufjan stevens,flaming lips, sigur ros, david byrne e.t.c.

Considering the price e.t.c, i think ill give it a miss this year. Maybe next year!

Edited by zahidf

11 minutes ago, GG306 said:

I rate his recorded material but he's incredibly sedate live. The time I've seen him at GM it was about 5pm on a Sunday evening on the main stage with the sun shining so it was an ideal time.  

I am stunned that so many haven't heard of Bill Callahan! I'm a huge fan.

He originally released stuff under the Smog moniker, you can't go far wrong with starting with Knock Knock and Red Apple Falls. My personal favourite is A River Ain't Too Much To Love. After that he started releasing stuff under his own name, Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle being the high point in a brilliant collection of albums.

Unfortunately everything he has released has been on Drag City, so you won't find it on the streaming services. You're going to have to do some spending!

Slowdive and Moonlandingz in the Big Top on the Thursday. That'll be magic.

Also chuffed with Aldous Harding, Waxahatchee and Lowly.

a quick listen while making a playlist there and a few others sound very promising.

not too fussed about Bill Callahan. I think I'd rather see him for an hour on the Garden Stage than a full Woods Stage headline slot.

20 minutes ago, OddRon said:

songs/albums to get into bill callahan? never heard of him until now

Gonna have to have a good listen myself, the only song i can really remember is Cold Blooded Old Times which got a fair bit of radio play at the time of release. Loved that track tbf

Think he did a couple of tracks for the dead man's shoes soundtrack too.

I've waited 12 years to see Bill Callahan at EOTR - for me he's the greatest living American . I used to speak to Ro (?) who was one of the band bookers of EOTR who told me they used to ask him every year and it's never happened until now. Persistence pays. 

If your new to him he used to record under the name Smog until 2007, but it was always really just him. And playing live, he plays with different sized sets of musicians so I guess we'll have to see .

As for start points, I'd start with these 3.

Knock Knock - Smog

A River Ain't Too much to love - Smog

Sometimes I wish we were an Eagle - Bill Callahan

1 hour ago, ljsawyer said:

This is so good I'm actually crying.

Bill Callahan, Japandroids, Timber Timbre, Mdou Moctar(!), Blanck Mass, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever (!!) and Lowly. 

Especially excited about RBCF - heard them when they dropped the Talk Tight mini LP early last year and haven't stopped listening since then. New EP is sounding wonderful as well.

Really enjoying RBCF. Very reminiscent of The Go-Betweens. Which us obviously a very good thing and makes me also think The Goon Sax would be a great addition!

20 minutes ago, bobbyperu said:

Really enjoying RBCF. Very reminiscent of The Go-Betweens. Which us obviously a very good thing and makes me also think The Goon Sax would be a great addition!

I'm with you on that one! Saw The Goon Sax back in September but only realised quite recently that the frontman is Robert Forster's son.

Australia in general is producing heaps of great indie-pop bands at the moment. Dick Diver is another one I'd love to see play EOTR one day.

47 minutes ago, ljsawyer said:

Australia in general is producing heaps of great indie-pop bands at the moment.

Alex Cameron's another Aus sensation announced today. No idea how good his live show is but the album's top draw and his whole persona is pretty amusing.

Proper great announcement on the whole.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Alex Cameron's another Aus sensation announced today. No idea how good his live show is but the album's top draw and his whole persona is pretty amusing.

Proper great announcement on the whole.

saw him support mac demarco in london last year, proper weird guy, acted like alex turner and bowie's love child and it was just him and this sax guy who looked like an accountant, got a lot of laughs and heckling, could tell it was'nt the right crowd

This will be my first EOTR, having regretted most of the previous missed ones and I`m now very much looking forward to the experience. Despite a bit of a wobble when the first wave of acts was announced I`m now excited about a musical voyage of discovery. I can honestly say that I am not familiar with many of the acts, including two thirds of the headliners. I was wondering if any experienced EOTR`s feels that this year the organisers have taken a different direction or backwards step in terms of the popularity of the acts?  Was it becoming a bit too mainstream? I heard the founder of the festival on the radio saying that he always wanted a very personal feeling to the event so has this been lacking in recent years?