Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love the 'horses for courses' nature of this list and the whole EOTR vibe.

As talented and entertaining as these people are, there was a little noise in my head that went 'meh' when I read Lucinda Williams, Abidou & Miriam, Marika Hackman and possibly a smaller 'meh' for FJM. Also a little 'they were great a couple of years ago, but now?' for Parquet Courts, and J&MC (many years ago). 

Then there was a 'oh good, missed them last time and heard they were great' for Mac Demarco, Perfumed Genius & Julia Jacklin.

But finally there's the sense of anticipation for those 'Marc Riley' bands; Omni, Ty Segal, Duds, Brix Smith, Car Seat HR. 

...and I cannot wait to see Lemon Twigs on a festival stage

(also can't wait for some more headline names)

2 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

I remember seeing FJM play before Fleet Foxes at Sheps Bush in I guess 2008 (as J Tilma obv) and he moaned all throughout it that people were chatting.

Saw him at Glastonbury  a couple of years ago and he was the highlight of the festival. Passionate, engaging, funny and delivered his album with a new kick and sound. Really looking forward to his slot

4 minutes ago, cortezuk said:

Saw him at Glastonbury  a couple of years ago and he was the highlight of the festival. Passionate, engaging, funny and delivered his album with a new kick and sound. Really looking forward to his slot

Oh he's shit hot live, I get why some people dislike his schtick and find his character tiresome but he's one hell of a live performer. Definitely feel he's up to the task of headlining a festival of this size.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

23 minutes ago, cortezuk said:

Me too - saw him at Colston Hall last year (or year before) and he was very good, ILYHB was my joint (with Ezra F) album of the year before last, and the new single bodes well for the album.

(Was earlier just pointing out how without the alter-ego {or whatever you call it} he was very different).

Very pleased he's headlining. Just hope he plays Holy Shit! when he has another album to draw from.

4 hours ago, Swanmob said:

There's nobody that similar to all those I think but you may like Ryley Walker and Real Estate. 

4 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

if you like Julia Holter and Laura Marling then check out Julie Byrne and Julia Jacklin

you've got similar taste to me so also give Bill Ryder Jones and Real Estate a listen. Also there's Parquet Courts if you fancy something a bit more punky and Ty Segall for garage/psych rock.  

37 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Me too - saw him at Colston Hall last year (or year before) and he was very good, ILYHB was my joint (with Ezra F) album of the year before last, and the new single bodes well for the album.

(Was earlier just pointing out how without the alter-ego {or whatever you call it} he was very different).

Very pleased he's headlining. Just hope he plays Holy Shit! when he has another album to draw from.

I was at the colston hall gig, it was fantastic, his theatrics on stage really matched the theatre vibe, hoping the moodier album doesnt affect how dramatic and comedic the performance is 

16 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

It's a good line up. The undercard is so strong and Garden stage headliners be superb.

FJM lost his appeal to me as he's got bigger. He's a prick if we are being honest. The Six Music interview was embarrassing.

I heard that RaddMacc interview and it was cringeworthy and embarrassing. Though to be honest I think it was embarrassing for both host and guest. He was recently back on with Lauren Laverne and I caught a short section of it and he came across as charming.....give him another chance

Only one more headliner, as they're reverting to the usual set up and there won't be a Thursday night set on the Woods stage.

Tricky to say on the next announcement.  About two-thirds of the bill was revealed today, so there aren't that many more acts to come compared to previous years.  The second wave of bands is usually in March though.  I would imagine some significant acts are still to come on the undercard.  Last year Broken Social Scene and Teenage Fanclub didn't get announced until March, The Shins weren't until May, and Ezra Furman and Teleman didn't get revealed until June.

Line up looks brilliant already, just booked my tickets.

Shame about the Thursday though imo.. Obviously it was very well attended last year and with everybody seeming to enjoy it isn't there a concern similar numbers will turn up even without a Shins type name on? If even half as many turn up it's gonna be a struggle getting in the Tipi if that's all that's open.

Small quibble though, it can't come soon enough.

Wonder who the last headliner will be? 

15 hours ago, Nick07 said:

It's a good line up. The undercard is so strong and Garden stage headliners be superb.

FJM lost his appeal to me as he's got bigger. He's a prick if we are being honest. The Six Music interview was embarrassing.

Who do you think the Garden Stage headliners will be? Lucinda Williams and Band Of Horses? Was wondering if BOH would be 2nd last on the main stage (almost co headliners) perhaps the Mary Chain will be a late night big top job similar to TFC last year? Obviously no Joanna Nuisance to worry about this time but stick think they'd drown out anyone that played elsewhere at the same time!

16 hours ago, gigs said:

An excellent first announcement, and.....Lucinda Williams. A true Americana legend! Appreciate not everyones cup of tea, but along with all the other treats she is a great addition.

I hope she is in a better mood than the last time I had the 'pleasure' of seeing her. 2009 Shepherds Bush, had made the trip up to London to celebrate wedding anniversary and was really looking forward to the show.

She was in the foulest mood from the start, stopping songs multiple times to moan at the audience about cameras, talking etc, blaming thew audience for her messing up ...having a go at her own band, turning her back for much of the performance. It was frankly a terrible terrible show - we and many others left before the end after yet another tiresome rant from her.

We should have demanded a refund.I have rarely listened to her since.

3 hours ago, thespiral said:

I hope she is in a better mood than the last time I had the 'pleasure' of seeing her. 2009 Shepherds Bush, had made the trip up to London to celebrate wedding anniversary and was really looking forward to the show.

She was in the foulest mood from the start, stopping songs multiple times to moan at the audience about cameras, talking etc, blaming thew audience for her messing up ...having a go at her own band, turning her back for much of the performance. It was frankly a terrible terrible show - we and many others left before the end after yet another tiresome rant from her.

We should have demanded a refund.I have rarely listened to her since.

yeah, she threw her toys out the pram when she played Glastonbury the other year too. I love her voice, 'Essence' and 'Car Wheels' are two amazing albums but I get the feeling she can be hard work live.