Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, jamesrfisher said:

As it's only our 2nd time this year, are the hints that are being given out for headliners or anyone on the bill?

This is only the second year that they've given out cryptic clues about acts, and it was for the second or third announcement last year. The significant one last year was the Shins announcement, who were obviously a headliner, but I can't remember the other ones that were posted.

32 minutes ago, shoebox said:

This is only the second year that they've given out cryptic clues about acts, and it was for the second or third announcement last year. The significant one last year was the Shins announcement, who were obviously a headliner, but I can't remember the other ones that were posted.

Thanks

4 hours ago, shoebox said:

Teenage Fan Club was the other one I remember with their Howdy! Declaration on one of the posts. As you say. Not done it before last year. So far this year I've no idea and not excited by Foxygen at all.  

6 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Listened to that Foxygen new album.... for 2 songs I thought 'this is ace' then after 8 or so I thought 'this is terrible.'

Pretty much summed up my experience of this bands latest effort, the album before it was far worse but their debut was pretty good. Have no strong desire to see them, especially if they're near the toil of the bill. 

Some moments on the first Foxygen album were excellent. A great live rendition of San Francisco has the potential to be a festival highlight. I'm also impressed with the guy's willingness to try new styles - the current single, Follow The Leader, being a good example. I'd certainly be curious to go and watch them, but I have no idea what they're like live. Could be great. Could be rubbish.

2 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Some moments on the first Foxygen album were excellent. A great live rendition of San Francisco has the potential to be a festival highlight. I'm also impressed with the guy's willingness to try new styles - the current single, Follow The Leader, being a good example. I'd certainly be curious to go and watch them, but I have no idea what they're like live. Could be great. Could be rubbish.

That's not the first album but it's their breakthrough so anyone can be forgiven for thinking so.

Apparently they're dreadful live. On TV performances they look great but footage from proper live shows is consistently bad. Love this new album though (and We are the 21st Century etc.) and I'm dying to experience the disappointment first hand so it's a strong one for me.

There is definitely no delay, it's been this sort of time for the past few years. All festivals announce when they're going to announce the line-up these days. Builds anticipation, gets interested people focused on a certain time so as to maximise chat across social media platforms. I quite like the cryptic clue thing, as it keeps the conversation going in the period between the announcement announcement and the actual announcement.

That said, other than the Foxygen one, I haven't got a clue about any of the other images, and it seems like no-one else does either. So it may be backfiring a bit. 

I also hope it's nice and early tomorrow as I'm on a training course from 9.30.

Back in December 2012 they announced the first wave of acts (including two headliners) for the following year's festival, but other than that they're usually around this time.

As far as the images are concerned, I remain convinced of Parquet Courts (until tomorrow, when I'm proved wrong).  I think the eyeballs, skeletons, and owl might just be stills from the Claymation promo, rather than clues.

I like the anticipation myself though, and I think the organisers do too.  For them, this is probably as good as it gets before the festival, in that they know something great that others don't.  Come tomorrow, there's bound to be people saying how underwhelmed they are, or that Green Man has a much better line-up, or that they'll wait until the second announcement before committing.

50 minutes ago, shoebox said:

There is definitely no delay, it's been this sort of time for the past few years. All festivals announce when they're going to announce the line-up these days. Builds anticipation, gets interested people focused on a certain time so as to maximise chat across social media platforms. I quite like the cryptic clue thing, as it keeps the conversation going in the period between the announcement announcement and the actual announcement.

That said, other than the Foxygen one, I haven't got a clue about any of the other images, and it seems like no-one else does either. So it may be backfiring a bit. 

I also hope it's nice and early tomorrow as I'm on a training course from 9.30.

Theyll probably announce it during one of the 6music music news segments 7.45 or 8.45

Edited by zahidf