Primavera Sound 2017

Orens

Just now, TiZuff said:

dont know if this classes as an "official" announcement but http://gaffa.dk/nyhed/117392/northside-bliver-ikke-berort-af-frank-oceans-amerikanske-aflysninger/ 

Translation: "We have been informed by Frank Oceans agent, that it only is the now cancelled shows which are affected, and that it is not going to affect our show on Northside. We are in contact with Frank Oceans production manager daily, and are in full swing with the preparations for a show, which looks to become very spectacular."

Of course, if he does cancel at the very last minute they would look so stupid. It doesn't have to be a Frank Ocean-type cancelation, it might be a serious reason (like Grandaddy's). You never know. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting. Is only official to my eyes if on the official site. Well if you believe that message had come from his agent, then with that wording surely you have all the reassurance you need about Primavera?

Misinformation is everywhere - it was widely reported last year that Radiohead's agent had confirmed in April that their album was coming out in June...and in fact it came out in May. Didn't even turn out to really be his agent but a partner in their management company.

35 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Is it possible that the secret set before the festival would be Frank Ocean giving himself a chance to warm up before tour? Would be amusing if the last few weeks have been spent thinking he won't play at all, only for him to play 2 shows.

Haha, that would be great!

To be honest, I would not expect Primavera to make an 'official' announcement about Frank but it would be more like Gabi to post something on the forum just keeping everyone updated - did he not address Grandaddy's potential cancellation in a FB chat? 

Saying that, I am too excited about Frank to doubt that he is playing...

Sasquatch announced that Frank wouldn't be playing almost 20 days before the fest. Hangout did it 10 days before the festival. Considering that Hangout happened before Sasquatch it's easy to think that Frank cancelled all of his May and while Sasquatch announced immediately, Hangout waited a few days in order to get a replacement. 

If we're just one week away and nothing has been announced, the production issues that caused the Sasquatch/Hangout debacle are no longer a thing. Being said that, he could always pull a Kanye, get mad over the food/weather/texture of the leather in the dressing room and take a flight to California before playing.

4 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Sasquatch announced that Frank wouldn't be playing almost 20 days before the fest. Hangout did it 10 days before the festival. Considering that Hangout happened before Sasquatch it's easy to think that Frank cancelled all of his May and while Sasquatch announced immediately, Hangout waited a few days in order to get a replacement. 

If we're just one week away and nothing has been announced, the production issues that caused the Sasquatch/Hangout debacle are no longer a thing. Being said that, he could always pull a Kanye, get mad over the food/weather/texture of the leather in the dressing room and take a flight to California before playing.

Parklife is occurring the same weekend as Northside and also hasn't announced shit. They added rtj two days before announcing ATCQ's cancelation.

FYF announced Kanye as his replacement two days before the gig, something else could be going on but I'm 99% sure he's going to play PS.

Anyway, don't expect a warm-up gig of his, doesn't make any sense IMO considering his stateside cancelations. I consider Arcade Fire to be the most likely, too much buzz around them making it five full days before their set.

11 minutes ago, puckno said:

So... it is close to four year since any new Arcade Fire album (28 Oct 2013), and no sign of new material before Primavera. The band is just milking the market.

I expect they had every intention of having something released when they took the festival bookings but it just didn't pan out that way. Lost any hope of them even dropping a new single or anything now and just trying to get excited about a greatest hits-esque set with a couple of new'uns thrown in (although hopefully not too many, and hopefully none of those meh standalone songs they've released since Reflektor).

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I expect they had every intention of having something released when they took the festival bookings but it just didn't pan out that way. Lost any hope of them even dropping a new single or anything now and just trying to get excited about a greatest hits-esque set with a couple of new'uns thrown in (although hopefully not too many, and hopefully none of those meh standalone songs they've released since Reflektor).

AF played six new tracks at a secret show almost two weeks ago, which is something they tend to do right before releasing new music. Over the last couple of days the band even updated their Twitter account info, per /r/ArcadeFire. I fully expect them to release something until next Friday.

Gabi didn't seem worried at all when he adressed this Arcade Fire situation so I guess he's been told something will be released before the festival. 

Btw, I just realized that AF played a secret show a few days ago where they played six new tracks and they had this no-phones policy. If they insist in something like this then it's very unlikely they will be the guest performing on the Tuesday/Wednesday. Also, the xx have their last show before Primavera this Saturday plus they get along pretty well with Gabi and co (Romy and Oliver attended in 2014 when Jamie played) so I wouldn't rule them out at all.

7 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Gabi didn't seem worried at all when he adressed this Arcade Fire situation so I guess he's been told something will be released before the festival. 

Btw, I just realized that AF played a secret show a few days ago where they played six new tracks and they had this no-phones policy. If they insist in something like this then it's very unlikely they will be the guest performing on the Tuesday/Wednesday. Also, the xx have their last show before Primavera this Saturday plus they get along pretty well with Gabi and co (Romy and Oliver attended in 2014 when Jamie played) so I wouldn't rule them out at all.

Could be, but I've been told that AF will arrive five days before the festival so they have plenty of time to arrange everything.

A couple of days the ArcadeFireTube Twitter account have noted that the band will be in Barcelona five days before their headlining set. It's likely they will be there since either Saturday or Monday!

Edited by Orens

Yeah, I read that and don't get me wrong, AF is the most likely band to play Barts or any other club. The thing is they tend to keep everybody's phones away and if they get to Barcelona with zero new songs released it could be a little weird if they start to ask for high security inside the venue et al. If it's just a regular show a la LCD/Interpol/Volcano Choir then I have nothing to say but to wish everybody who attends both the club gig and the festival gig to enjoy :) 

Auditori Magnetic Fields gigs the only ones that need pre-reservation at 2 Euros available from box office near the entrance..

The one at 4pm on the Saturday will surely be half empty, given the time of day, so not sure why they've gone for a reservation system for that one.

18 minutes ago, sgtpepper100 said:

I know it's really not a priority question, especially given the gravitas of the events, but.. I assume it's going to be much harder to sneak a can or two of beer in following the Manchester terrorist attack?

I've found at European festivals they do a proper search with coppers for glsss / cans so regardless of the attcks  would have been difficult

I'm probably in a tiny minority for this but I'd think it amazing if Arcade Fire premiered the whole of their new album in front of us plus a couple of hits at the end. It must be literally days before release and there would be a real thrill in hearing the new songs.

Course it would never happen....

No matter what, I'm sure the original intention was to release a new album by now and the festival organisers booked them on that basis. Primavera can hardly be held accountable for them not following through.

1 hour ago, Orens said:

An Israeli blog just premiered the debut album of Noga Erez (due to be released next Friday) a couple of minutes ago: http://haoneg.com/temp/18900

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4151055-noga-erezs-track-by-track-guide-to-off-the-radar

It's also here.

One of the artists I'm most looking forward too, so thanks for finding this!

6 hours ago, TiZuff said:

I've found at European festivals they do a proper search with coppers for glsss / cans so regardless of the attcks  would have been difficult

I have not been impressed with the security at the entrance (I have been attending every year since 2010). Most often they just look into my backpack from the top, barely touch the stuff in it, and never do any body search. I find it more relaxed than other festivals I have been to. Lets see if they step up the game this year. On a positive side there is usually no problem to get cameras in.

Totally disagree. I can hardly see the point in having invasive security that causes tedious queues, when that would create a large unpoliced crowd which in itself becomes a target.

All the security in the world at the bagcheck to the Manchester Arena would not have prevented the attack. It happened outside.

What's the point?

Well. To illustrate it from the other end of the spectre:

Last year I attended Pitchfork Fest i Chicago. Every day I had to empty my pockets and my backpack, and I was body searched. This happened with everyone 

And to look at it from another angle: How many passengers goes through the security lines at the airports every day?

Of course it is possible to have a much better security screening than for the previous years of Primavera.

At least they should look more into the backpacks and have a simple body search. Thats what I find at other European festivals.

This is just a business question, and a competence question. It will of course cost more. But it should be done. IMHO.