Orens

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Can anyone knowledgeable steer me towards which of the dance acts put on a good show? Hard to get excited about a single dj on some decks...

Ame, Kink and !!! Will all be decent. 

Make sure you give the beach club area a go though. Thought it was great personally and a great sound system to boot. Makes a nice chance to be on grass as well rather than concrete.

Hi all we posted ages ago as a couple of newbies to Primavera.  Got some good responses so thanks everyone.  Really looking forward to this now, have also got some good direction through the comments on the board into a lot of new bands (for me!).

Someone asked about Teenage Fanclub.  One of my favourite bands, saw them in London about a month ago.  Awesome.  Kurt Cobain once described them as his favourite band.  

Start with ...

New album - Here - try Hold On, I Was Beautiful When I Was Alive

Older stuff - Sparky's Dream, Radio, Alcoholiday, I Don't Want Control Of You, Everything Flows, Going Places

Hope you like them!

At last some gossip. It's been so quiet in here. So Fleet Foxes were of interest to the organisers but one of them had a wedding that clashed with the dates. And sadly Slowdive won't be a late announcement as Gabi didn't want to have them repeat so soon after their last performance.

Still think we have a surprise decent name to be announced.

So at weekend ticked off some bands playing at PRIMAVERA at the 6music festival in Glasgow. Will be seeing Sleaford Mods again but, Whitney were a disappointment as liked the album but was not impressed at all . Julia Jacklin only caught 2 songs but never done any thing for me.

On 28/3/2017 at 10:36 PM, xxialac said:

At last some gossip. It's been so quiet in here. So Fleet Foxes were of interest to the organisers but one of them had a wedding that clashed with the dates. And sadly Slowdive won't be a late announcement as Gabi didn't want to have them repeat so soon after their last performance.

Still think we have a surprise decent name to be announced.

He didn't want Slowdive to repeat so soon (three years ago) but still had fucking Arcade Fire (same three years ago) and Run the Jewels (two years ago). Kinda funny.

55 minutes ago, Nesser said:

He didn't want Slowdive to repeat so soon (three years ago) but still had fucking Arcade Fire (same three years ago) and Run the Jewels (two years ago). Kinda funny.

Slowdive is more of a retro act which will release their first album only a couple of weeks before the festival, so booking them doesn't make much sense after getting them on the bill in their reunion tour. How much new material will they play? Perhaps in 2018...

IMO, rtj3 is the best album of 2017 so far and a supreme festival act. Having seen them in 2015 (although not in PS), I'm thrilled to have them on the bill.

Arcade Fire still seems odd at the moment, but they are heavily rumored to release new material soon. It's a fluid situation, as we learned last year.

I had a chance to talk with PS' head of booking back in November, three weeks before the poster came out, and he said that major acts have to release an album in order to get back on the bill.

I know the drill when it comes to how Primavera guys book the bands and I agree that Run the Jewels deserve to be on the line-up again -altough this time I'm afraid they'll end up playing at Mordor after the xx-. I am just pointing out how dull the answer regarding Slowdive is. Arcade Fire played one of the two European gigs of 2016 at BBK, which had a massive appeal and crossover acts from Primavera -FJM, Grimes, Underworld, Pixies, Four Tet, etc-. Even with a new record out by June it just seems as a cheap trick to book them again. And I'm not even going to talk about the chances of Arcade Fire releasing a new record in two months with zero promotion after the hell we had to live the 4-6 months before Reflektor came out.

In 2014 they put Slowdive in second row, third name of the day. They even stylised the name as S L O W D I V E in order to fill the whole row ffs. You don't bring them back with their first record in twenty years because you don't want to repeat such an act and you bring AF again? C'mon.

And don't get me wrong. I love the festival, this year's line-up is bonkers and I won't have a problem at all with AF cause I want to see more artists on Saturday that on Tuesday and Friday combined but this 'we book the artists we want and if someone is missing is because we weren't interested' pose is exhausting. 

Edited by Nesser

9 hours ago, Nesser said:

I know the drill when it comes to how Primavera guys book the bands and I agree that Run the Jewels deserve to be on the line-up again -altough this time I'm afraid they'll end up playing at Mordor after the xx-. I am just pointing out how dull the answer regarding Slowdive is. Arcade Fire played one of the two European gigs of 2016 at BBK, which had a massive appeal and crossover acts from Primavera -FJM, Grimes, Underworld, Pixies, Four Tet, etc-. Even with a new record out by June it just seems as a cheap trick to book them again. And I'm not even going to talk about the chances of Arcade Fire releasing a new record in two months with zero promotion after the hell we had to live the 4-6 months before Reflektor came out.

In 2014 they put Slowdive in second row, third name of the day. They even stylised the name as S L O W D I V E in order to fill the whole row ffs. You don't bring them back with their first record in twenty years because you don't want to repeat such an act and you bring AF again? C'mon.

And don't get me wrong. I love the festival, this year's line-up is bonkers and I won't have a problem at all with AF cause I want to see more artists on Saturday that on Tuesday and Friday combined but this 'we book the artists we want and if someone is missing is because we weren't interested' pose is exhausting. 

You probably aren't convinced but it makes a ton of sense to me. Why giving up such a major slot to a band which probably most likely wasn't going to play anything new? Last time they played an whole hour in Mordor prior to Pixies, The National. This time they are only available on the Thursday, where I don't think there's a slot that makes sense for them. I can totally understand them being booked in Mad Cool instead.

Getting Arcade Fire once again is definitely not the regular Primavera move, but I'm pretty sure it will make sense soon. Although Reflektor's campaign was exhausting, we are not in 2013 anymore. Major releases drop by surprise, or in much shorter notice (Bon Iver gave us six weeks, Gorillaz announced five weeks ahead, and Kendrick made it unofficial but seems like he gave us two weeks). Arcade Fire's has mentioned April multiple times so it makes tons of sense to expect new material really soon. Primavera guys probably know this.

The thing is that they try to sell all their movements as if they were calling the shots. No Slowdive? Nah, didn't want to repeat. No Father John Misty last year? Not interested anymore (he played two days before Primavera at London). No Grimes? Oh no, not interested at all. They don't lose bids, they let BBK borrow the bands they don't want anymore. And look, that is not what is happening. Last year BBK booked A LOT of bands that most of the people assumed they would watch at Primavera. This year MadCool has booked several bands that played last/recent years PS and some crossovers but when they move dates next year to the end of June they will also benefit from the Glasto effect.

Primavera guys say they compete against international festivals, not with the spanish ones and I share that view to a certain extent. The line-up is miles ahead of any other ES fest but the Pitchfork bookings are no longer exclusive to them and they (are going to) have problems in order to book some bands that used to play only at Primavera.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

The thing is that they try to sell all their movements as if they were calling the shots. No Slowdive? Nah, didn't want to repeat. No Father John Misty last year? Not interested anymore (he played two days before Primavera at London). No Grimes? Oh no, not interested at all. They don't lose bids, they let BBK borrow the bands they don't want anymore. And look, that is not what is happening. Last year BBK booked A LOT of bands that most of the people assumed they would watch at Primavera. This year MadCool has booked several bands that played last/recent years PS and some crossovers but when they move dates next year to the end of June they will also benefit from the Glasto effect.

Primavera guys say they compete against international festivals, not with the spanish ones and I share that view to a certain extent. The line-up is miles ahead of any other ES fest but the Pitchfork bookings are no longer exclusive to them and they (are going to) have problems in order to book some bands that used to play only at Primavera.

Of course they don't call the shots on everything, it doesn't even sound like it. People ask them questions and they decide what to answer, as they are not obligated to answer on anything. We don't have to like the answers, but it's more than we get from other festivals. Perhaps they really weren't interested? I remember Gabi said they hated the last time Grimes has performed in PS. That's a legitimate reason for not booking her, although I think the response wasn't necessary.

Prior to the poster reveal Gabi has said that they liked Chance The Rapper a lot, among other acts, but now we know that he's going to be in a middle of a major tour in the US. Now there's probably nothing to say about it, because it's clear they can't get him to Spain in the middle of a 40-city headline tour. It's surely not the only example, but the only one I can think of currently.

BBK is great and diversity is really important, I'm happy for the Spaniards, but Primavera Sound is considered such a great festival mostly because of their superb booking, so I tend to trust their opinion as curators.

Sure a lot of the above is true though I agree with Orens. As the organisers give us such a magnificent cake every year, I would forgive them anything.

There is no more beautifully curated music lineup on any festival anywhere in the world. Can pretty much write that every year.

Coachella, Bonnaroo, Glastonbury, Roskilde, Exit, Sziget - none of them can match the strength in depth we get every year (though I admit Glastonbury has a lot of charms, it loses points for weather, lack of sleep and Ed Sheerin).

Pitchfork has posted the acts playing the Pitchfork stage this year (although no running order):

http://pitchfork.com/news/57844-king-krule-mitski-hamilton-leithauser-playing-pitchforks-primavera-sound-2017-stage/

Looking at that I could pretty much spend my entire weekend at that one stage and be ecstatic.

3 hours ago, Fnmentaluk said:

Moving to end of June next year . Where did that information come from.

I was talking about Mad Cool -they moved to July because of Foo Fighters-. I guess next year they will return to last years's dates since Nos Alive-BBK-Mad Cool at the same is way too fucked up.

I guess the vibe is kinda different here in Spain. We are more exposed to Gabi's comments and you can read his answers in a certain way if you want to. Nevertheless, I really like the fest. Couldn't make it last year and had a tough weekend thinking about it so I'm very excited about this June.

And re: Pitchfork stage: the announcement P4K made last year matched the actual schedule so assuming Bon Iver, the xx and Arcade Fire will play around 12pm sharp you can guess they will clash with Glass Animals, Swans/William Tyler and Preoccupations respectively.

1 minute ago, Nesser said:

And re: Pitchfork stage: the announcement P4K made last year matched the actual schedule so assuming Bon Iver, the xx and Arcade Fire will play around 12pm sharp you can guess they will clash with Glass Animals, Swans/William Tyler and Preoccupations respectively.

Nah they're just listed in alphabetical order.