Bestival 2016 - how was it for you?

smogo

6 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

And Madness, Fun Loving Criminals, Damien Marley, Imelda May, Skinny Lister, Leftfield, Sonic Boom Six, Neville Staples, Bad Manners, Ms Dynamite, Derrick May, B.Traits, Asian Dub Foundation..... and so much more different genres

Damien Marley and Leftfield were at Bestival.  Of those others, Ms Dynamite is boss and I'd happily watch her every year, but most of the others you list either fall into that kind of chin-stroking muso category that doesn't appeal to me, or are old farts still flogging the same old shit as they have for decades.  I've just never seen a Boomtown lineup that excites me as much as Bestival lineups do, and I'm sure that's largely down to its smallish capacity meaning that there's a limit to how much they can pay out.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm personally not hugely taken with it ...

And yet I'll tell you that it's by-far the best festival in the UK today - way, way WAY ahead of anything else.

I'm not saying you're wrong - I've never been so I've no idea.  But I'm struggling to understand how something you don't like is simultaneously the best thing you've seen.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, kerplunk said:

Looks like I picked the right year to end my unbroken run since 2005 (didn't really 'feel' it much last year so decided to take a break).  I quite like the idea of a scaled back bestival so I may consider it again next year, although I guess it may not be a permanent thing if they shift more tickets. Disappointing that one of the things they chopped was the hill (with the bandstand etc) though. Was there any real ale available this year?

Yes, I know that Bestivale was available at the very least.  I wasn't looking out for ales though, so I can't help you any more than that.

2 minutes ago, smogo said:

Damien Marley and Leftfield were at Bestival.  Of those others, Ms Dynamite is boss and I'd happily watch her every year, but most of the others you list either fall into that kind of chin-stroking muso category that doesn't appeal to me, or are old farts still flogging the same old shit as they have for decades.  I've just never seen a Boomtown lineup that excites me as much as Bestival lineups do, and I'm sure that's largely down to its smallish capacity meaning that there's a limit to how much they can pay out.

Smallish capacity? It's 60,000 so not that small. They don't need to go for big well known acts, and am kind of glad they don't tbh.

I was listing random acts to show it's got many different genres of music there, not in particular acts I would see. Line ups are always subjective, but am happy enough to go to any festival not based on the line up anyway.

8 minutes ago, smogo said:

I'm not saying you're wrong - I've never been so I've no idea.  But I'm struggling to understand how something you don't like is simultaneously the best thing you've seen.

because I'm not so up myself as to work it as "if I'm not taken with it it must be shit".

It would be difficult running this website if my personal opinions over-rode my attempts at objectivity. A festivals website that listed 1000+ festivals as "it's shit" wouldn't serve much of a purpose. :P

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Smallish capacity? It's 60,000 so not that small. They don't need to go for big well known acts, and am kind of glad they don't tbh.

I was listing random acts to show it's got many different genres of music there, not in particular acts I would see. Line ups are always subjective, but am happy enough to go to any festival not based on the line up anyway.

Is 60,000 the legal capacity or the number of tickets actually sold?  Bestival's legal capacity is 79,000 but they've never put more than 55,000 tickets on sale as far as I know.

I would like to try out Boomtown one day, but not if I'm going to spend my days getting not-very-excited about watching a load of acts that I like but have seen plenty of times before (I made that mistake in choosing to go to Wild Life this year). Also there's the problem that it always seems to clash with my wife's birthday, and she doesn't do festivals.

4 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Smallish capacity? It's 60,000 so not that small.

Or put another way (and believing RdB's 40k, which I can't say I really do).....

That's at least 50% more popular than Bestival.

(it would be more than that if they could satisfy all of the demand, too).

4 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

They don't need to go for big well known acts, and am kind of glad they don't tbh.

Spot on .... tho I have to say, I think it's future lies in that direction to some extent.

To nick someone else's words, there is, after all, a limit to how many times people will pay to see The Skints from an ever-greater distance.

Just now, eFestivals said:

because I'm not so up myself as to work it as "if I'm not taken with it it must be shit".

It would be difficult running this website if my personal opinions over-rode my attempts at objectivity. A festivals website that listed 1000+ festivals as "it's shit" would serve much of a purpose. :P

I get that. It's like on film review sites (and indeed in certain actual published magazines) where some reviewers feel the need to give big, expensive blockbusters and vintage classics 5-star reviews even though they didn't personally enjoy the movie that much. Whereas I think one's personal enjoyment of it is the most important aspect of judging whether something's good or not. I couldn't bring myself to say that "I didn't love it myself, but Citizen Kane is obviously the best film ever made", and I don't think that means I'm up myself.

2 minutes ago, smogo said:

I get that. It's like on film review sites (and indeed in certain actual published magazines) where some reviewers feel the need to give big, expensive blockbusters and vintage classics 5-star reviews even though they didn't personally enjoy the movie that much. Whereas I think one's personal enjoyment of it is the most important aspect of judging whether something's good or not. I couldn't bring myself to say that "I didn't love it myself, but Citizen Kane is obviously the best film ever made", and I don't think that means I'm up myself.

given that Boomtown gets 60,000 and Bestival doesn't, I don't think Boomtown has a problem satisfying people's enjoyment, do you?

But you're certainly right with the 'horses for courses' thing. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

Tho just because it's not for you - or me - it doesn't make it shit, exactly as I said.

Wow, that does look fucking impressive. Judging by that video, they've way out-Bestivalled Bestival and out Shangri-Laaed Shangri-La.

I would still need a stronger lineup than they normally offer though. I think I'd just feel a bit aimless without some big, exciting things to look forward to (and I don't just mean main stage headliners; two of the things I was most excited about this year at Besti were the Eskimo Dance and PC Music takeovers, and neither disappointed).

10 minutes ago, smogo said:

That does look very cool.

So when you say it's hard going... in what sense?

the site is hilly, and depending what stages interest you, you can travel up and down the steepest bits a fair bit. As someo0ne who doesn't even get the daily walk from the office carpark into work (as I work at home), it hits me hard at all festies (it took 10+ years of being sat on my arse for that to catch up with me, now in reverse).

For someone of my tastes and who is interested in chasing the music I like, I end up zipping here there and everywhere.

The hilly site impacts into the camping too, as there's not a huge number of particularly flat areas for the camping either.

And it's a fully-on party place, much more than Bestival - so lack of sleep kicks in too.

As I say, if I were 20 again there'd be no stopping me. It's captured what Glastonbury has lost over the years (as someone who's been going to Glasto for 30 years, I've lived it to know).

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

(and believing RdB's 40k, which I can't say I really do).....

Do you think more or less?

I genuinely didnt take much notice of how many people were there. Got stuck in 2 crushes during the weekend and several full venues but then had loads of space at various other acts so saw it much the same as any other year if im perfectly honest.

Edited by mjsell

1 hour ago, smogo said:

Of course, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if Prince hadn't gone and died..... :)

The purple rave on Spaceport was properly emotional stuff at points. And Robs speech at the end showed just how much this year has taken out of him - nothing but respect for him and the bestival team - I had a great time and realised just how much i had missed the festival having not attended since 2013

4 minutes ago, smogo said:

Ah man, I missed almost all of his speech because the finalé started 20 minutes earlier than billed.  What was he saying?

Speech at the end of the spaceport set was just regarding it being a really difficult year and that playing that set was one of the most emotional for them (Rob, Heidi and tayo).

I dont know if he said anything for the finale on main stage - I only briefly caught a bit of it on the walk past to get to the Jagerhaus from Human league.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

but if you prefer "rock, indie and heavier music" then Bestival isn't going to do it for you either. :lol:

But Boomtown is much more than a big rave anyway, and it's musical offerings have been expanding each year. Did you know - for example - they had The Levellers (as just one example, off the top of my head) play there this year?

Which is why I have never considered going to Bestival, I don't think I have made any point that I would?

Yes I did, but they also played another festival with a lineup that for me was much much better....but that's just for me, that's not me saying other's must prefer it.

I do get the feeling though as described by many that it is virtually liked a massive Shangri-La that is big enough for bigger stage performances and shows. I'm not knocking that as if that is what they do as a festival and cater for then they do.

19 hours ago, smogo said:

Ah man, I missed almost all of his speech because the finalé started 20 minutes earlier than billed.  What was he saying?

One of my mates reckons RDB said that they booked Prince and put a deposit down on him for this year. But knowing how hard it was to book Prince I find that quite hard to believe. Didn't hee usually only commit to things 3 months in advance?

32 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

One of my mates reckons RDB said that they booked Prince and put a deposit down on him for this year. But knowing how hard it was to book Prince I find that quite hard to believe. Didn't hee usually only commit to things 3 months in advance?

Rob has said something like that a while after Prince died, tho his comments at the time Prince died didn't give any suggestion of the same thing.

Just now, Lucy92 said:

I did find it odd that they only did a prince tribute and not a Bowie one. Made me think that they did have him booked which was why they put so much focus onto the prince tribute 

Well Rob da Bank and Tayo do a Purple Rave session most years anyway, but yeah I think doing a bonus bit of Purple Rave after Wiz Khalifa was the big clue really.

There were actually a couple of Bowie tributes in the schedule, although one of them cancelled due to transport problems. The one that went ahead was Feeling Gloomy's tribute at the Amphitheatre.