'Longleat probably won’t happen any more' Eavis confirms

glasto-worker

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You're putting forwards the suggestion for them to run with.

As if my comment is going to start/stop the tabloids doing what the hell they like anyway.

They will have come up with that sensationalism with or without my comment in fairness.

Edited by EamerRed

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, mooro said:

Would one be silly buying in Pilton now thinking if they did so they would be buying next to the festival site in the long term? 

If you're trying to get at "should I buy property in pilton so I can guarantee myself a ticket for future years?" then yes of course you are silly.

Surely people aren't that desperate to get a ticket?!

As far as investment goes that's absurd!

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Word we've just had is that the current plans are:-

1. longleat defo not happening.
2. 2018 will be a year off.
3. Glasto fest in 2019, location currently up in the air.

If 2018 is the fallow year, why are they not definitely returning to Glastonbury in 2019? I thought the original idea was to use Longleat to create a new festival to take place during fallow years.

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If you're trying to get at "should I buy property in pilton so I can guarantee myself a ticket for future years?" then yes of course you are silly.

Surely people aren't that desperate to get a ticket?!

As far as investment goes that's absurd!

But not silly at all if you are wanting to move to the area anyway and being in Pilton gives you a nice bonus.

19 minutes ago, zero000 said:

If 2018 is the fallow year, why are they not definitely returning to Glastonbury in 2019? I thought the original idea was to use Longleat to create a new festival to take place during fallow years.

It sounds to me just a case of keeping their options open at a time when they've no need to have a firm plan.

We know that they're looking at other sites, both for a fallow year fest, and, from what Michael's said, as at-least a fall-back option for if Worthy Farm becomes impractical (which is wholely dependent on the other landowners the festival needs to work with for it to take place). Having lost Longleat, it sounds like they're continuing to look for an other site.

(another site is just as practical necessity from what I'm thinking. With many more full-time staff now than there used to be, a year off makes things difficult, so they really need to be doing a fallow year fest)

If another site dropped in their lap which was also suitable for the main festival, I guess they'd consider it. Why wo0uldmn't they?

But anyway ... there's now something up on the official site which confirms no fest in 2018 and also says "but we can confirm that the Festival will return to Worthy Farm in 2019".

So there you go, me saying it might not be at worthy farm wasn't on the money.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

It sounds to me just a case of keeping their options open at a time when they've no need to have a firm plan.

We know that they're looking at other sites, both for a fallow year fest, and, from what Michael's said, as at-least a fall-back option for if Worthy Farm becomes impractical (which is wholely dependent on the other landowners the festival needs to work with for it to take place). Having lost Longleat, it sounds like they're continuing to look for an other site.

(another site is just as practical necessity from what I'm thinking. With many more full-time staff now than there used to be, a year off makes things difficult, so they really need to be doing a fallow year fest)

If another site dropped in their lap which was also suitable for the main festival, I guess they'd consider it. Why wo0uldmn't they?

But anyway ... there's now something up on the official site which confirms no fest in 2018 and also says "but we can confirm that the Festival will return to Worthy Farm in 2019".

So there you go, me saying it might not be at worthy farm wasn't on the money.

Where are you seeing this?  I can see this confirmation of the fallow in 2018, at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/2017-tickets-on-sale-in-october/, I can't see anything about it returning to 2019.  Maybe an error that's now been pulled?

Will be interesting to see how demanding the surrounding landowners are in 2019 when they miss out on their cash cow in 2018. After several years of having a nice additional income, 2018 will feel quite 'poor' in comparison. Perhaps they may be a little more flexible in 2019.

Of course they might realise how nice it is to not have a festival on and demand even more to rent their land and compensate for the inconvenience. 

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Where are you seeing this?  I can see this confirmation of the fallow in 2018, at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/2017-tickets-on-sale-in-october/, I can't see anything about it returning to 2019.  Maybe an error that's now been pulled?

it's defo been amended.

And that can only be because my info was right after all, from what I can see.

My info should be right. It doesn't get any better sourced.

Edited by eFestivals

38 minutes ago, mooro said:

And the fact they've gone to the trouble of amending it means a move genuinely on the cards, you would think. Coming after a fallow year, it is easy then to speculate on the move being more permanent than temporary.

You're waaaay over-playing it, I'd say.

My take is that they're simply avoiding putting out a statement that later events might make incorrect. I don't think Emily wants to be regarded as someone who tells porkies.

It's also probably the case that they don't have agreements to use the bits of land they need beyond the fallow year, as they normally make agreements that expire with the fallow year - so everything about a festival in 2019 is currently up in the air.  But there's no particular reason why it shouldn't come together as it's done before.

I don't believe they've identified any other possible sites, and a move isn't possible until they do.

And of course there's all of the local politics they have to bear in mind, where presumptive announcements don't go down well, and puts the festival over a barrel for negotiations with landowners.

Chill. Trust in the Eavii. :)

They'll do it if it's possible. They can't do the impossible.

2 minutes ago, Machielsmit said:

The Strokes announced that they will release an album in 2017. Do you think there is any chance they will play/headline Glastonbury? 

I'd say headlining is well beyond them nowadays.

There's always a chance of them playing I guess, tho in the past they've tended to go for exclusive (and therefore better money) deals with another big fest or three. I think they're likely to be chasing the paydays in a similar way next time around, which lessens the chance of Glasto.

Talking of paydays, I guess the 15(ish)% drop in the pound due to brexit is going to impact into overseas bookings from now, as it makes them more expensive.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

You're waaaay over-playing it, I'd say.

My take is that they're simply avoiding putting out a statement that later events might make incorrect. I don't think Emily wants to be regarded as someone who tells porkies.

It's also probably the case that they don't have agreements to use the bits of land they need beyond the fallow year, as they normally make agreements that expire with the fallow year - so everything about a festival in 2019 is currently up in the air.  But there's no particular reason why it shouldn't come together as it's done before.

I don't believe they've identified any other possible sites, and a move isn't possible until they do.

And of course there's all of the local politics they have to bear in mind, where presumptive announcements don't go down well, and puts the festival over a barrel for negotiations with landowners.

Chill. Trust in the Eavii. :)

They'll do it if it's possible. They can't do the impossible.

I am liking this post.  A lot. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37340905

Glastonbury Festival: 'No plans to move for fallow year'

lets work though this 

on ' 2 June 2016 ' - this was the line 'Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis said he hopes to hold a new music festival in Longleat in 2019.It is a "fallow year" for Glastonbury, which takes a break every six years so as not to cause damage to Worthy Farm.

so now he claims ' We will be taking our next fallow year in 2018, in order to give the farm, the village and the festival team the traditional year off. "There are no plans to hold an event at another location in 2018."

so ' 2018 and  2019 ' cant be both # fallow year's #

so if its not held 2018 then will it be held in  2019 ?

Confused ? - well so is he .

it really does not make sense - yes I know he cant use Longleat but ' that was claimed to be 2019 ' so should not affect 2018.

they really do appear as if they don't have a bloody clue.