Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

All coming together now. I think we'll get the earliest announcement ever this time.

When does PKP usually announce?

Last year Sziget had already announced by now...

Rumor is Frequency will announce Muse tomorrow, so maybe that's it for Zurich Openair. Hopefully we get a good undercard or a surprise headliner as well.

1 hour ago, Noeliam said:

When does PKP usually announce?

Last year Sziget had already announced by now...

Rumor is Frequency will announce Muse tomorrow, so maybe that's it for Zurich Openair. Hopefully we get a good undercard or a surprise headliner as well.

Rihanna announced Feb 19th, 2nd announcement with the other 2 headliners and undercard was March 16th. They're always late announcing compared to other festivals. If they want to compete with other festivals they really should be looking at announcing earlier if possible and also providing an instalment option.

I'll do another update of possibilities after the Open Air announcement.

On 5/12/2016 at 11:30 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

Not going to be many bands left at this rate!

Yeah, not many rock bands, but a lot of possible pop/hip hop headliners: the weeknd, lady gaga, one republic are on the top of the charts and are touring all summer for sure. Eminem is strong rumor for reading. 

13 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

All coming together now. I think we'll get the earliest announcement ever this time.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, they like to take their time at PKP towers!!

Think the main reason Rihanna was announced early was because her original show was cancelled and they needed to get details of the new date out to existing ticket holders. From memory, the only other band I can remember getting an early announcement in recent times was Metallica in 2008. 

So we could potentially be looking at Muse and Green Day, which would be a very strong pair of headliners for PKP. I can see The XX taking the third place as I'd imagine they'd be more up for a headline spot at PKP, compared to a place lower down the bill at RW. Equally I can see Dour getting them as they'd also be a headliner there. Tour schedules might end up being the deciding factor though.

They do love to promote a band to headliner at PKP so maybe they've got their eye on someone for this year???

One of the organisers has been posting loads of stuff about Strand of Oaks on Facebook. Think he got a copy of their new album a bit early so if they're touring I'd imagine they'll be there. Would like to think they'll get Aphex Twin too.

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, they like to take their time at PKP towers!!

Think the main reason Rihanna was announced early was because her original show was cancelled and they needed to get details of the new date out to existing ticket holders. From memory, the only other band I can remember getting an early announcement in recent times was Metallica in 2008. 

So we could potentially be looking at Muse and Green Day, which would be a very strong pair of headliners for PKP. I can see The XX taking the third place as I'd imagine they'd be more up for a headline spot at PKP, compared to a place lower down the bill at RW. Equally I can see Dour getting them as they'd also be a headliner there. Tour schedules might end up being the deciding factor though.

They do love to promote a band to headliner at PKP so maybe they've got their eye on someone for this year???

One of the organisers has been posting loads of stuff about Strand of Oaks on Facebook. Think he got a copy of their new album a bit early so if they're touring I'd imagine they'll be there. Would like to think they'll get Aphex Twin too.

I can see them promoting Foals as headliners next year.

4 hours ago, johnybegood said:

I can see them promoting Foals as headliners next year.

Would be a horrible decision considering their Belgian popularity, which would be Marquee headliner at best. If someone gets promoted I would bet on Kasabian.

I also don't think Green Day is coming. They're ruled out for most of the major August festivals so I see no reason to come back to Europe after doing virtually every country in June/July.

I believe some headliner-sized names will still pop up. Elbow announced a new album this week, QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys promised to release new albums in 2017, The National is around, Editors are continuing to tour their latest album, ... And The XX/Bon Iver remain possibilities as long as they're not announced for Werchter.

1 hour ago, Noeliam said:

Mumfords and Sons are the first headliner for Frequency!

+Moderat, Rise Against, Billy Talent, White Lies, Sub Focus...

1 hour ago, pryce said:

Mumford and sons, Prodgiy, Kygo and Major Lazer are Zurichs headliners ...no thanks 

The Mumford's are coming! lol.

Doesn't look good for August does it?

Justice announced for Dour as well which rules them out.

I've just realized that Frequency Festival, that always happened same Pukkelpop weekend, this year is happening from Tuesday to Thursday. Very strange dates for a major festival. This fact means the lack of headliners in august in Europe. Probably there will be just 3 or 4 hedalining size bands in Europe in August, so they were forced to avoid the weekend for booking them.

Strange indeed, although I wouldn't put it down to a lack of headliners but more of a reflection on the festival itself. Seems like they can't compete with the festivals that are on at the same time, especially if you look at the line up from this year. Lowlands and Pukkelpop were still able to pull in Rihanna, The Chems, LCD and Muse, whereas Frequency had probably one band who could be considered an international headliner. 

Edited by DiscothequeDave

8 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Strange indeed, although I wouldn't put it down to a lack of headliners but more of a reflection on the festival itself. Seems like they can't compete with the festivals that are on at the same time, especially if you look at the line up from this year. Lowlands and Pukkelpop were still able to pull in Rihanna, The Chems, LCD and Muse, whereas Frequency had probably one band who could be considered an international headliner. 

I think you're right. Till 2015 they had a spectacular line up and then they had a fall.

I've been there in 2012 and it was one of the best lineup ever.

24 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

I've just realized that Frequency Festival, that always happened same Pukkelpop weekend, this year is happening from Tuesday to Thursday. Very strange dates for a major festival. This fact means the lack of headliners in august in Europe. Probably there will be just 3 or 4 hedalining size bands in Europe in August, so they were forced to avoid the weekend for booking them.

Maybe there's a headliner that leaves august just before the weekend? (because already booked for Werchter)

Ruled out - 

Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, System of a Down, Radiohead, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Kings of Leon, Blink 182, Placebo, Rammstein, Guns N Roses, Fleet Foxes

Probably ruled out - 
Aerosmith (Graspop)

Probable -

Car Seat Headrest

In the mix -

Muse, Prodigy, Kasabian, Foals, Rise Against, Billy Talent, Benjamin Clementine, Ty Seagall Major Lazer, Kygo, Bastille, Andy C, Glass Animals, At the Drive In, Moderat, Wanda, Kraftklub, Bonez MC & Raf Camora, White Lies, Foreign Beggars, Sub Focus 

Edited by DiscothequeDave

That's really bad news about Justice. Dour probably offered them a headline position whereas they would likely have been Marquee or Dance Hall closer at PKP.

I'm not into Mumfords but they're popular and pretty much established headliners now. I'd take the Prodigy and Moderat from today's announcements.

Hello guys. Been keeping my eye on this thread as me and my friends are planning on going to Pukkelpop for the first time next year. Can anybody tell me how much spending would be for the ticket and travel?? Also whats the spending like out there? Cheaper than these UK festivals?

14 minutes ago, jakecase said:

Hello guys. Been keeping my eye on this thread as me and my friends are planning on going to Pukkelpop for the first time next year. Can anybody tell me how much spending would be for the ticket and travel?? Also whats the spending like out there? Cheaper than these UK festivals?

Ticket was 200 euros this year. Difference is that this includes rail travel in Belgium to and from the festival which is great. This also includes free shuttle buses to the festival site from Hasselt if you decide not to camp. Flights to Brussels are normally more expensive than the flights to Charleroi but is easier and quicker.

Food and drink is a bit more expensive. Beer is 6 euros a pint. They don't sell spirits apart from possibly Bacardi.