Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

No real surprises but that main stage sure is gonna feel empty at times with nothing where the Wablief? was last year.

I think they'll kit that whole back section out with lots of seating, covered areas, flags, extra food stalls, sponsor stands etc so it'll look like there's lots going on even when it's not busy. Surprised they haven't gone down the road of a market of sorts as they seem to be a staple at most UK fests? There's very little detail on that map so expect lots more things to actually be there, a bigger special beers tent would be a bonus! Last year the outdoor section of the Boiler was visible on the map but no indication this time of what that area will be like. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the production is scaled back to save a bit of cash.

A few tickets being advertised on Twitter, with one person saying that hers is available on the official exchange. Can't find anything on the website about it though? Food and drink tickets no longer on sale now.

I hope they don't scale back the production on the boiler room this year because I didn't enjoy being in the stage that much last year and spent a majority of my time out dancing on the decking area, the sound was much better than in the stage.

Annoying I was gonna buy food and drink tickets too, oh well.

22 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

I hope they don't scale back the production on the boiler room this year because I didn't enjoy being in the stage that much last year and spent a majority of my time out dancing on the decking area, the sound was much better than in the stage.

Annoying I was gonna buy food and drink tickets too, oh well.

Thought the boiler set up was pretty poor as well last year, particularly compared to years gone by. They've gone lengthways again instead of widthways which is ok by me. Gives it much more of a gig feel.

Hey guys/girls!

I'm heading to this festival solo (cause my friends have shitty taste in music) and I wonder if anyone knows where is the best place online to find other solo PKP goers? Back in 2009 I found a great group to camp and party with but back then PKP had it's own official forum that is now gone. 

I don't speak dutch/flemish so I'm looking for english speakers obviously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 hours ago, SWErik said:

Hey guys/girls!

I'm heading to this festival solo (cause my friends have shitty taste in music) and I wonder if anyone knows where is the best place online to find other solo PKP goers? Back in 2009 I found a great group to camp and party with but back then PKP had it's own official forum that is now gone. 

There's a reasonably active forum on Festileaks - http://forum.festileaks.com/forumy where s/topic/pukkelpop-2017/page/21/ - that might be worth a look but unless anyone knows different this is probably the busiest PKP forum around? Only other places worth trying are Twitter and possibly the official Facebook page. Best bet is to just pitch up your tent, crack open a beer and get to know your neighbours in the campsite.

So in exactly two weeks time I'll be standing in either the Boiler for Paul Kalkbrenner's 'Back to the Future' or in the Castello for Talaboman - either way it's a win/win situation!! Watched PK's set from Tomorrowland week 1 a few times and it's superb. Loads of old school rave tracks that he's brought up to date and collectively the set was full on from start to finish. Pretty gutted he clashes with Ben UFO but my loose plan this year is if I'm enjoying myself somewhere then that's where I'll stay. That's going to be seriously put to the test on Thursday when Claptone plays the Boiler as he's clashing with Cypress Hill. Loved his set from Tomorrowland and although he only played for half an hour he was superb again tonight at Radio 1 in Ibiza. Can't wait to hear this:

Edited by Semprini

On 5-8-2017 at 0:38 PM, SWErik said:

Hey guys/girls!

Hi,

You can always camp with me. I am in a small group, and the others will welcome new people without problem :)

23 hours ago, irishfestival said:

hey, quick question about buying tents - I attended Beni last year and managed to buy a tent and other camping gear from a local shop easy enough, I imagine it will be a similar scenario over at Pukkelpop? save the hassle of bringing a tent over

It's a fairly big city so you should be able to pick up something from somewhere. There is a Sports Direct in the centre of Hasselt, can't remember if they sell camping gear or not though.

Still a week to go but weathers looking a bit grim (i.e. not scorching). Hope it picks up by next Thursday.

WED

16 AUG
Partly Cloudy
22°14°
10%
WSW 13 km/h 66%
THU

17 AUG
PM Showers
22°15°
50%
S 19 km/h 67%
FRI

18 AUG
Showers
21°14°
60%
SW 24 km/h 70%
SAT

19 AUG
AM Showers
19°13°
40%
SW 22 km/h 72%
SUN

20 AUG
Scattered T-Storms
20°13°
50%
SW 18 km/h 74%
Edited by DiscothequeDave

36 minutes ago, Stef_P82 said:

Last names from their Instagram: With Brutus, DJ Lady S, Six Hands and an additional Tamino show, the Pukkelpop line-up is complete. Who's ready for #PKP17?! 

Weather is looking quite bad...

Interesting to see only 6 Marquee bands on the Friday still.

Weather is looking shit.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Interesting to see only 6 Marquee bands on the Friday still.

Weather is looking shit.

De Nieuwe Lichting have been moved into the Marquee so it's 7 each day now. The late starts are what stick out for me as they've probably saved the need to book a good 12-15 acts over the weekend. We're obviously not talking big hitters who individually would have cost a lot but if the budget is reduced then that's one way to try and compensate for that.

Most of the weather sites agree that it will be mostly dry from Sunday to Weds which is an important time. When you see a lot of really muddy festivals the problem is often that there's been heavy rain in the build up so the site is damp (or partially churned up already) once everyone gets there. Thankfully none of the websites are predicting heavy or persistent showers from Thurs to Sat and the average temps are around 20C so should be bearable. Once again, the wellies will be staying at home!

Got a bit of FOMO going on at the moment as Houghton festival is taking place about 25 miles from where I live and quite a few of my mates are there. The venue looks absolutely cracking and if you're into dance music the line up is just silly. Many of the DJs are playing more than once over the weekend and sets range from a minimum of 2 hours to anything up to 7. They've somehow managed to get a 24 hour music licence and it's running non-stop from 9am today through to 4am on Monday! There's a few of the PKP like up there (Nicholas Jaar, Ben UFO, Joy Orbison and Gerd Janssen) and weekend tickets with camping started at £80. There's no way I could have done that and PKP but provided all the post-festival reports are good I will give it some serious consideration next year.

Well,  I have avoided the inevitable for as long as I have been able. The reality is real and I cannot Pukkelpop this year. I have know this for quite some time as my cousin announced her wedding over a year ago. I have avoided the forum as much as I can as I did not want to pain myself further!

Finally had a proper look at the lineup, Thursday Main Stage is right up my street, even giving me the opportunity to see Interpol before Editors to see if they do sound as similar as I have made them in my head. Ryan Adams then PJ Harvey would have been great.

The Friday run of Flaming Lips, London Grammar, Elbow is magnificent.

Saturday is pretty weak for me, there are only a couple of things I want to see and I have seen them before, but it would be a good day to explore bands I have not heard of I suppose. Only 3-4 bands I would want to see though.

So, I hope you all have a great time and get to see everything you want to see. I'll offer up a prayer to the weather gods for you and with a fair wind and no family weddings I'll see you here next year.

As an aside, Wedding is a week on Friday. On the hen do last weekend the bride (my cousin) broke her ankle, so she'll be in plaster on her wedding day - you have to laugh, or you would cry.

have fun!

Saturday is my weakest day. Seen most of my choices before and nothing really stands  out. Heres run down. Can't see me veering much away from it tbh. Friday is by far my favourite day.

Thursday

Cypress Hill - Amelie Lens - Ryan Adams - PJ Harvey/Strand of Oaks - Stormzy -Interpol - Ty Seagall - Moderat - The XX

Friday 

Tove Lo - Parquet Courts - The Shins - Julia Jacklin - Flaming Lips - London Grammar/Mr.Oizo - Elbow - 2manyDjs- Nicholas Jaar/Boys Noise

Saturday

Car Seat Headrest - Dub FX - Afghan Whigs/First Aid Kit - Badbadnotgood - AVH v Jackmaster - Band of Horses - Jackmaster

Cant find the updated map on the site but wanna take a look at it.

This is who I am likely to see

Thurs: Enter Shikari -> Cypress Hill -> Omar Souleyman -> *break* -> Interpol -> Editors -> Moderat -> The XX
Friday: Mefjus -> Macky Gee -> Tycho -> Flaming Lips -> Mount Kimbie -> Mr Oizo -> 2manydj's -> Boys Noize -> TLP
Sat: Delta Heavy -> Black Sun Empire -> Dub FX -> The Subs -> Talabowman -> Mumfords -> Flume -> Michael Midnight

1 hour ago, SilverLining said:

This is who I am likely to see

Thurs: Enter Shikari -> Cypress Hill -> Omar Souleyman -> *break* -> Interpol -> Editors -> Moderat -> The XX
Friday: Mefjus -> Macky Gee -> Tycho -> Flaming Lips -> Mount Kimbie -> Mr Oizo -> 2manydj's -> Boys Noize -> TLP
Sat: Delta Heavy -> Black Sun Empire -> Dub FX -> The Subs -> Talabowman -> Mumfords -> Flume -> Michael Midnight

Here is a link to the map: https://www.pukkelpop.be/nl/plan/ 

2 hours ago, SilverLining said:

Edit: Micheal18 posted a link while I was typing this so ignore advice on first sentence!!

The map Micheal18 posted above doesn't show up on my laptop but if you right click and open it in a new tab/window it loaded for me. Looks like there's a new picnic area near the Lift which could be a nice place to chill out. Having said that, the Foodwood is probably the best part of the festival so will try and spend a bit of time there. The outside Boiler set up looks to be an extended frame of the tent but without the covers. Hoping they can create an outdoor area that still feels like a club/enclosed at night, which is what I feel they managed to do with both the Boiler and Booth last year. Not sure what that is in front of the Dance Hall, possibly bleacher style seating as there's something similar near the Club and also at the back of the Main?

My schedule is busy as always. Plan to be on site by 12pm each day and should be able to see most/all of the following:

Thursday: Raye, Sigrid, Ray BLK, Sigala, Claptone/Cypress Hill, Amelie Lens, The Naked and Famous, Peggy Gou, Stormzy, Ben Klock, Maceo Plex, Joy Orbison, Moderat and then whatever takes my fancy from Dave Clark, Gerd Jansson b2b Prins Thomas and The xx.

Friday: Palace/Six Hands (guy I know plays for the latter so will give them a look), James Marvel, Forest Swords, Mefjus, Clark, Clean Bandit, Tycho, London Grammar, Richie Hawtin, Bjarki, Rodhad/Antal, Mind Against.

Saturday: Henri PFR, Tank and the Bangas, Doctrine, D.D Dumbo, Black Sun Empire, Arno Lemons, Dub FX, The Subs, backstage tour, AVH vs Jackmaster, Paul Kalkbrenner, Ben UFO, Jackmaster, Kiani and his Legion.

Edited by Semprini

On 8/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, SilverLining said:

perfect weekend for me to contract gastric flu :'(, Fly out on Wednesday at 5am I really really hope this clears up or may not make it now. Will be so incredibly gutted.

Oh no, really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll do everything you can to give yourself the best possible chance of being on the plane. Still a couple of days to go so fingers crossed for you.

18 minutes ago, leveller5 said:

Talking of wellies, do any of the regulars on here take them? Is it the sort of festival that often turns into a mud bath? 

No, 2011 aside. Last wet/ovecast one we had was 2014, I bought waterproof boots when I was out there. I needn't have bothered.