Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I had this thought the other day. Goes completely against everything the ethos of the main stage this year but surely the organisers couldn't turn down the Igster as an option. Would be my number one must see act on the whole bill if announced.

Can't see it going down well with the kids though. 

Iggy was brilliant last year at Rock Werchter. Would definitely go see him again if Pukkelpop add him. The "kids" already have plenty to go-see. The elderly, like me, deserve Iggy! :D Bring him on, and if not, only Foals will do for me!!

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, DaveRSV4 said:

Iggy was brilliant last year at Rock Werchter. Would definitely go see him again if Pukkelpop add him. The "kids" already have plenty to go-see. The elderly, like me, deserve Iggy! :D Bring him on, and if not, only Foals will do for me!!

Looking at the line up, both would fit in. Thursday is the most indie/alternative day out of the 3 so a run of R. Adams - PJ Harvey - Iggy/Foals - Interpol -  Editors - XX looks a good fit and very strong to me. 

Looks like filling the Friday with pop shit and a piss weak headliner may backfire as that's the day that is behind the other two sales wise so far.

Think the potential replacements for Chance are - 

Solange, Foals, Ellie Goulding, Iggy Pop, Tribe called Quest, Wiz Khalifa, TDCC, The National, and as a big outsider, Gorillaz who'd have to be billed as a special guest I'd imagine. Can't really think of many bands who are the right size but wouldn't cost a lot and that are on tour. Only other thing I can think of at this stage is that it's a band from Lokerse Feesten that they can't announce till after that festival, that would be leaving it really late for an announcement. That would leave the Offspring as an option (again), The Pixies (too big) or Bazart (cheap option, especially as day tickets are nearly sold out)

Personally I'd be very happy with Iggy or Foals. I'd even be ok with sticking Dizzee Rascal for a bit of a main stage party - can't see it though.

Just please not the fucking Offspring.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Hey everybody!

So I had planned last year a trip to Europe for summer 2017 and after researching various festivals happening during our trip I decide on Pukkelpop after seeing the stellar lineup and reading only great things about it. I've researched the fest a bit and this seems to be the only active forum I've found so I thought I'd come here with some of my questions. This is my first time visiting the continent so naturally this will be my first European festival after attending a good deal of events here in the states. With all that being said I was hoping to just get a little insight into how european festivals compare to their US counterparts. At first glance it seems like you guys go A LOT harder as this festival ends at 4 am everyday. Are there any major differences between european and us music festivals in terms of etiquette that I should know about? I speak both Spanish and English will I be able to communicate easily? Do the festival goers tend to keep to their own groups or is everyone constantly intermingling? How easy would it be to go into town for a large lunch rather than the festival fare? I guess any tips for first time visitors to Europe and it's festivals would be IMMENSELY appreciated. Cheers!!!

27 minutes ago, SandyEgoo said:

Hey everybody!

So I had planned last year a trip to Europe for summer 2017 and after researching various festivals happening during our trip I decide on Pukkelpop after seeing the stellar lineup and reading only great things about it. I've researched the fest a bit and this seems to be the only active forum I've found so I thought I'd come here with some of my questions. This is my first time visiting the continent so naturally this will be my first European festival after attending a good deal of events here in the states. With all that being said I was hoping to just get a little insight into how european festivals compare to their US counterparts. At first glance it seems like you guys go A LOT harder as this festival ends at 4 am everyday. Are there any major differences between european and us music festivals in terms of etiquette that I should know about? I speak both Spanish and English will I be able to communicate easily? Do the festival goers tend to keep to their own groups or is everyone constantly intermingling? How easy would it be to go into town for a large lunch rather than the festival fare? I guess any tips for first time visitors to Europe and it's festivals would be IMMENSELY appreciated. Cheers!!!

Never been to a US festival but everyone is very friendly at Pukkelpop and I've never seen one bit of aggro in the 7 times I've been. If you camp at the site, it's very, very easy to get a free shuttle bus into Hasselt (15-20 mins) and have a nice meal. We stay in Hasselt itself and generally have a few beers and often a meal before heading up to the site at about 3-4pm and normally head back into town between 2-4 am and sometimes go to the pub when we get back (if it's open)

EVERYONE speaks English.

Welcome on board SandyEgoo - you've made a good choice with PKP!! Just seen that Dave has answered some of your questions as I was typing this but will post my response anyway!

My only experience of a US festival was quite a few years ago when I went to Moby's Area One in S.California (it was the final date of the tour if memory serves me) so I'm not really in a position to draw comparisons between US/Euro fests. However, I've been to PKP quite a few times so I can tell you a bit about it. There's a number of us who now qualify as 'veterans' so you'll get loads of great info on here!

It's nice that you can party until 4am and they've actually increased the options in the last couple of years (used to just be the Boiler carrying on after 2am). The festival site does tend to empty out after the headliners but the dance area (Boiler, Castello and Booth) are all open and busy until 4am. In terms of etiquette, Belgians are pretty chilled out and generally respectful of each other. Anti-social behaviour, fights etc are quite common at a lot of similar UK festivals but in all the times I've been to PKP I've never seen any trouble. People move from stage to stage during the day so you can often get quite close to the front (or even 'on the rail' as you folk like to say!), with the only exception being the Main at night when the headiners come on.

Nearly everyone speaks English so don't worry about that at all. People will chat to you but they often stay within their own groups. It's really easy to get in and out of Hasselt if you fancy a look around and a meal. Many of us on here actually stay in hotels in the town and we commute each day - takes about 20/30mins on a free bus. If you're feeling energetic then you can walk it (about 5kms), although I've never done it myself. There's loads of stalls outside the festival that locals set up each year selling food and drinks. It's cheaper than in the arena but don't expect anything too spectacular. Are you camping? I think you might find the camp site a bit more congested than at US festivals!!

Great news about Maceo Plex being added, although it will now make it more difficult for me to see Mura Masa, Joy O and Moderat.

Edited by Semprini

Yeah I agree that out of all the festivals I've been to Pukkelpop has the best crowd in terms of everyone looking after each, being respectful but still wanting to have a good party.

I'd say if you are camping though make sure you arrive in plenty of time before the site gets dark, We had a nightmare last year with people queuing to get in to get their wristbands but also people queuing to get in for the evening entertainment. We then struggled to find a spot to camp in, luckily I had a torch with me.

This year we'll be arriving at 12pm on the dot to guarantee a good spot but hey ho thats literally the ONLY issue we had with such a great festival.

Nope, I bet it's gonna be some cheap act. Knowing Thursday is almost sold out, why pull a big act when the money is already in?

The reason why they're releasing extra day tickets is because the combi tickets aren't selling that well (that's an understatement and it's the result of setting up every day targeted to a genre on the Main, Marquee and Club; indie/alt/rap, pop and rock/punk). I find it very cheap from them to get their money via that way, hopefully they'll change things up next year. (and realise they need more rock/alternative and less cheap DJs to fill in the spots; Booth & Castello).

Edited by arcuse

5 hours ago, Name taken said:

Could this mean they have a replacement for Chance?

Giving people the opportunity to buy daytickets (more daytickets now) for a 'biggish' act?

Solange? Playing Lowlands the same weekend and had to cancel her only belgian date so far in Belgium?!

It's a strange one that's for sure. There's a lot of acts who I've mentioned who could fill that slot. However, with most of the acts the question is why wouldn't they have already announced them?. The longer this goes on the longer I'm thinking it's someone from Lokerse Feesten or Suikerock. Iggy for me is the obvious (and very welcome) favourite having a date at Lowlands already set. The only other option I can think of, unless they come up with a complete wildcard is Jamiroquai who are in the UK the week before PP but who have a date in Belgium in November which isn't sold out, they could be waiting for the last minute to wait to maximise those tickets sales. The sold out gig in Amsterdam would possibly suggest the Belgium gig may be close to selling out?

Just please don't be the fucking Offspring.

47 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

It's a strange one that's for sure. There's a lot of acts who I've mentioned who could fill that slot. However, with most of the acts the question is why wouldn't they have already announced them?. The longer this goes on the longer I'm thinking it's someone from Lokerse Feesten or Suikerock. Iggy for me is the obvious (and very welcome) favourite having a date at Lowlands already set. The only other option I can think of, unless they come up with a complete wildcard is Jamiroquai who are in the UK the week before PP but who have a date in Belgium in November which isn't sold out, they could be waiting for the last minute to wait to maximise those tickets sales. The sold out gig in Amsterdam would possibly suggest the Belgium gig may be close to selling out?

Just please don't be the fucking Offspring.

Offspring is playing Lokerse Feesten the week before PKP so you can rule them out for sure.

As far as I know, combitickets selling is going worse than last year. Only saturday tickets have been sold as fast as PKP crew expected. Most of my friends will go only on Saturday, because it's the only day with a decent ammount of rock bands. 

I'm sure than Friday ticket selling it's being a huge disaster. 

Pukkelpop 2017 will be the less crowded edition in the last 10 years, but maybe it will be the most profitable due to the drastic reduction of the booking budget.

I'm sure than next year Shelter Stage will be back. Eppo loves that music and he likes listening to people opinion and here lot of people think that PKP has lost some of its identity killing Shelter without reason. On Saturday, Marquee has a Shelter line-up and its tickets had the biggest demand, even bigger than thursday ones, with 2 people favourites as Editors and The XX. 

Edited by SarahEmpre

13 minutes ago, SarahEmpre said:

Offspring is playing Lokerse Feesten the week before PKP so you can rule them out for sure.

As far as I know, combitickets selling is going worse than last year. Only saturday tickets have been sold as fast as PKP crew expected. Most of my friends will go only on Saturday, because it's the only day with a decent ammount of rock bands. 

Pukkelpop 2017 will be the less crowded edition in the last 10 years, but maybe it will be the most profitable due to the drastic reduction of the booking budget.

I'm sure than next year Shelter Stage will be back. Eppo loves that music and he likes listening to people opinion and here lot of people think that PKP has lost some of its identity killing Shelter without reason. On Saturday, Marquee has a Shelter line-up and its tickets had the biggest demand, even bigger than thursday ones, with 2 people favourites as Editors and The XX. 

I hope you are right about the Offspring, although the longer they leave it the more of a likely option they are.

They just cant seem to get the line up quite right can they? Haven't properly sold out since the Neil Young edition which for me is where they lost their way a bit having replaced him with Major Lazer and offering piss weak headliners the year after.

Seems like I'm moaning but last year's line up was the best in years for me and I had a great time, Rihanna aside. I think if they'd have booked Muse last year instead of her they'd have been back on track for 2017.

8 minutes ago, SarahEmpre said:

I know it's been their policy for the last few years to push day tickets (as they obviously make more money that way) but if combi's are selling poorly then why would they say there's 'very few left'? I get that there's PR hype involved to boost sales but it would be foolish a full month before the festival to say they're nearly out of combi's if that's not the case. Releasing extra day tickets only reduces the combi allocation by 1,000, which is not a huge amount when you consider the capacity is 70,000. However if they keep releasing more day tickets when these extras sell out then that will be a clear indication sales are poor.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say about the heavier bands having a positive impact on Saturday ticket sales but that's also the day with arguably the biggest headliner in Mumford and Sons. I was at a festival in the UK last weekend where they played and that was the only day out of the three that sold out. Although I didn't go in there much I'd be happy to see the Shelter return again in the future. You're right, it is a part of the festival's identity and if they want to be classed as 'alternative' then there really needs to be a wide variety of music on offer.

In the years when it didn't sell out it never felt to me like it was less crowded. If they reduce the size of the arena then it could actually feel busier than last year, even with less people present.

20 hours ago, Semprini said:

I know it's been their policy for the last few years to push day tickets (as they obviously make more money that way) but if combi's are selling poorly then why would they say there's 'very few left'? I get that there's PR hype involved to boost sales but it would be foolish a full month before the festival to say they're nearly out of combi's if that's not the case. Releasing extra day tickets only reduces the combi allocation by 1,000, which is not a huge amount when you consider the capacity is 70,000. However if they keep releasing more day tickets when these extras sell out then that will be a clear indication sales are poor.

I'm subscribed to their email service and the amount of mails that I got over the past months that include "watch out, tickets are going fast! Don't be taken by surprise!" is almost painful. They've been saying it for months (since Rock Werchter basically sold out around april) and not a single word over how fast the combi's are selling. I'm not even sure if the demand for the day tickets for Saturday was even that big. I'm sure some people were taken by surprise that those sold out but it took 'm months to get that day to get sold out, wasn't like that day was selling out in a few days right?

My guess is that combi's are 65/70% sold out, Thursday 99%, Friday 40% and Saturday 100% and with only a few weeks left there isn't so much time anymore to get all those combi's sold so the easiest solution is to put some extra in for the day tickets so that they get some money back.

I agree with what's said above. The line up this year looks big especially with the alternative names on Thursday but let's be honest. These are probably the 3 (4 with The xx included) most cheap headliners in years. With Bear's Den, London Grammar and god knows what kind of sub is still missing, even the subs don't even look that attractive (or expensive at all). Bear's Den is huge in Belgium, but anywhere else they're just a small band. London Grammar is only onto their second LP and they already got that sub spot. Anyways, like I said in my last post. I hope that they think a little bit more before they act next year and have a general concept of how PKP is gonna look like as a cohesive festival.

1 hour ago, arcuse said:

I'm subscribed to their email service and the amount of mails that I got over the past months that include "watch out, tickets are going fast! Don't be taken by surprise!" is almost painful. They've been saying it for months (since Rock Werchter basically sold out around april) and not a single word over how fast the combi's are selling. I'm not even sure if the demand for the day tickets for Saturday was even that big. I'm sure some people were taken by surprise that those sold out but it took 'm months to get that day to get sold out, wasn't like that day was selling out in a few days right?

My guess is that combi's are 65/70% sold out, Thursday 99%, Friday 40% and Saturday 100% and with only a few weeks left there isn't so much time anymore to get all those combi's sold so the easiest solution is to put some extra in for the day tickets so that they get some money back.

I agree with what's said above. The line up this year looks big especially with the alternative names on Thursday but let's be honest. These are probably the 3 (4 with The xx included) most cheap headliners in years. With Bear's Den, London Grammar and god knows what kind of sub is still missing, even the subs don't even look that attractive (or expensive at all). Bear's Den is huge in Belgium, but anywhere else they're just a small band. London Grammar is only onto their second LP and they already got that sub spot. Anyways, like I said in my last post. I hope that they think a little bit more before they act next year and have a general concept of how PKP is gonna look like as a cohesive festival.

I'm not even thinking about next year, god knows what it's gonna look like. This year has a very good chance of being my last. It's obvious to me that the most successful years in terms of ticket sales have been the years that have been built around a big rock name, i.e. Foos, Maiden, Neil Young etc with a varied main stage line up of quality acts of varying size. Think they've taken people for mugs a bit with the subs and headliner bookings this year, particularly after most of them have appeared in the last 3 years. London Grammar ain't a sub in my eyes either and as for Bastille - giving them headline status once was a gamble, giving it them twice in 3 years is unforgivable. 

The email they sent this afternoon about the Food Wood gave a bit of a clue as to the layout of the festival. It said it's situated just behind the Marquee and next to the Lift. This must mean the Lift is where the Club was last year. I'm guessing the Club will move to where the Shelter was in '16 so all three of those venues are close to each other. The Club can't go back to where it was in the past opposite the Main Stage as they've been scheduled at the same time as each other.

I can't see them moving the Castello away from the dance area so it could mean that corner is similar in size and possibly layout to last year i.e. the Booth and Castello will be in that extended section again. No sign of a map anywhere yet though.

On 7/18/2017 at 5:38 PM, DiscothequeDave said:

Looking at the line up, both would fit in. Thursday is the most indie/alternative day out of the 3 so a run of R. Adams - PJ Harvey - Iggy/Foals - Interpol -  Editors - XX looks a good fit and very strong to me. 

Looks like filling the Friday with pop shit and a piss weak headliner may backfire as that's the day that is behind the other two sales wise so far.

Think the potential replacements for Chance are - 

Solange, Foals, Ellie Goulding, Iggy Pop, Tribe called Quest, Wiz Khalifa, TDCC, The National, and as a big outsider, Gorillaz who'd have to be billed as a special guest I'd imagine. Can't really think of many bands who are the right size but wouldn't cost a lot and that are on tour. Only other thing I can think of at this stage is that it's a band from Lokerse Feesten that they can't announce till after that festival, that would be leaving it really late for an announcement. That would leave the Offspring as an option (again), The Pixies (too big) or Bazart (cheap option, especially as day tickets are nearly sold out)

Update - Wiz Khalifa, TDCC and Alt-J are ruled out. Ellie Goulding playing would mean 4 gigs in a row for her in Belgium, Poland and 2 in the UK - can't see that happening tbh. 

Think it's narrowed down to Solange, Placebo or Iggy Pop for me although if they are going down the hip-hop route there's a chance it could be Lil Wayne? - playing Lokerse Feesten on the 10th August but is in Paris the night before the first day at PP.  Probably the most apt replacement out of the lot but it'd mean announcing him 5 days before the gig, which isn't gonna make a massive dent in ticket sales at such short notice, is it?

My money's on Iggy - hopefully. 

8 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Update - Wiz Khalifa, TDCC and Alt-J are ruled out. Ellie Goulding playing would mean 4 gigs in a row for her in Belgium, Poland and 2 in the UK - can't see that happening tbh. 

Think it's narrowed down to Solange, Placebo or Iggy Pop for me although if they are going down the hip-hop route there's a chance it could be Lil Wayne? - playing Lokerse Feesten on the 10th August but is in Paris the night before the first day at PP.  Probably the most apt replacement out of the lot but it'd mean announcing him 5 days before the gig, which isn't gonna make a massive dent in ticket sales at such short notice, is it?

My money's on Iggy - hopefully. 

My money is on Tinie Tempah being announced next monday after his performance at Suikerrock in Tienen. ;)

Edited by SarahEmpre

I bet they wait until Thursday is fully sold out to announce the last 5-ish names. It could be that they put someone from the other stages as a sub and have someone replace that spot in the tent. They did that with Halsey last year where they gave an upgrade to Lukas Graham. It could be that Stormzy / Vince Staples gets an upgrade to the Main.

23 minutes ago, arcuse said:

I bet they wait until Thursday is fully sold out to announce the last 5-ish names. It could be that they put someone from the other stages as a sub and have someone replace that spot in the tent. They did that with Halsey last year where they gave an upgrade to Lukas Graham. It could be that Stormzy / Vince Staples gets an upgrade to the Main.

Think there would be a backlash from the festival goers. Halsey pulled out fairly last minute last year, Chance pulled out in May. It'd be a really shitty decision tbh given the time they've had to sort a replacement.

Lana Del Rey has just added some last minute UK gigs for the 22/23 August so is extending her European stay and is free on the 17th so may be a contender as well.

Hello everyone!

I'm from Italy and this is my first time at Pukkelpop. I see a lot of expert people in this forum so i have a question about traveling to/from Pukkelpop by train.

I'm landing at Charleroi Airport on 16 afternoon and leaving on Sunday heading to Amsterdam. How do i get the free train ticket between two different train station? (one is obviously in Netherlands). Does anyone have an advice? Thank you very much. Rock on!

20 minutes ago, bss444 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm from Italy and this is my first time at Pukkelpop. I see a lot of expert people in this forum so i have a question about traveling to/from Pukkelpop by train.

I'm landing at Charleroi Airport on 16 afternoon and leaving on Sunday heading to Amsterdam. How do i get the free train ticket between two different train station? (one is obviously in Netherlands). Does anyone have an advice? Thank you very much. Rock on!

Don't think you can get a split ticket. You'll need to get a coach from Charleroi Airport to Brussels as there's no train line. Think this is 14 euros each way and it's worth pre-booking.

2 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Don't think you can get a split ticket. You'll need to get a coach from Charleroi Airport to Brussels as there's no train line. Think this is 14 euros each way and it's worth pre-booking.

There's a train station in Charleroi...bus from airport to Charleroi centre, then train.