Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, tczy said:

Still no Chance replacement.. Kind of worrying as line-up seems pretty set & I was looking forward to seeing either him or someone else in that genre and of that stature.

Think we'll get an announcement after Les Ardentes which is this weekend or Dour which is the weekend after. All the signs do point towards Sean Paul....unfortunately.

18 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Think we'll get an announcement after Les Ardentes which is this weekend or Dour which is the weekend after. All the signs do point towards Sean Paul....unfortunately.

Well that's... disappointing. Thanks man. :lol:

On 06/07/2017 at 9:17 AM, tczy said:

Well that's... disappointing. Thanks man. :lol:

Well nothing announced so far so I reckon it might be Solange that gets announced as the replacement. Playing Dour this weekend, playing Lowlands on the day after Pukkelpop.

On 11/07/2017 at 10:50 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

Well nothing announced so far so I reckon it might be Solange that gets announced as the replacement. Playing Dour this weekend, playing Lowlands on the day after Pukkelpop.

Dour just posted a few hours ago that Solange has cancelled and will be replaced by Gucci Mane. That'd be a proper laugh.

Edit: Gucci Mane joining the PKP bill, that is.

Edited by tczy

Quite a few clashes for me of acts I really wanted to go and see which is quite gutting. Theres hardly anything for me on Sunday so any suggestions of acts to catch/listen to are more than welcome.

Big enough space for the chance replacement though I can definitely see Solange getting that spot.

*ok maybe not*

Edited by SilverLining

46 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

Timetable's upon the website!

So that looks like the lineup is complete aside from the Thursday Sub, Friday main stage opener and Saturday Dance Hall opener by the looks of it. 188 names by my count. Bit of a weak line up for me compared to last year but still enough to go at. Only big clash for me is MDM and the XX

Would be a gamble for them to name Solange as a sub now, especially to replace someone who's already cancelled.

The Hives or Foals would be my choice, both are around - Hives probably not big enough tbh. Not really in the same vein as Chance the Rapper though. I'm awaiting Major fucking Lazer to be announced though.

Edit - Afhgan Whigs clash with First Aid Kit which makes Saturday a bit shitter than it was.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

49 minutes ago, Stef_P82 said:

First glance: 4 out of 7 stages play at the same moment?! That's a shame, will miss out on a lot...

Edit: can't remember of this was also the case previous editions?

Lots of clashes.

With so many stages it's going to be inevitable, surely?

Until they moved the Club last year, the Marquee and the Club always used to closh, which was usually a pain.

For my tastes I wish the Lift and the Club were running alternately instead of at the same time - I've got clashes there for most of Saturday.

Thursday before about 17.30 is looking the bleakest and least interesting period of any of the 15 Pukkelpops I've known. At this rate I'm going to end up seeing Enter Shikari and Cypress Hill...

18 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

With so many stages it's going to be inevitable, surely?

Until they moved the Club last year, the Marquee and the Club always used to closh, which was usually a pain.

For my tastes I wish the Lift and the Club were running alternately instead of at the same time - I've got clashes there for most of Saturday.

Thursday before about 17.30 is looking the bleakest and least interesting period of any of the 15 Pukkelpops I've known. At this rate I'm going to end up seeing Enter Shikari and Cypress Hill...

Our first band will probably be Cypress Hill by the time we've checked in and had a pint in Hasselt. Quite looking forward to it personally!

Moon Duo is a solid addition, I should be able to catch the last 20 minutes after AVH v Jackmaster.

42 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Our first band will probably be Cypress Hill by the time we've checked in and had a pint in Hasselt. Quite looking forward to it personally!

Moon Duo is a solid addition, I should be able to catch the last 20 minutes after AVH v Jackmaster.

I like some of Cypress Hill's stuff, but whenever I watch a big hiphop name at a festival I usually end up underwhelmed. Oddly, the one exception to the rule was Coolio...

Saw Moon Duo last year at BKS and this year in Eindhoven. They are pretty good live, and more importantly have given me the perfect excuse I needed not to accompany Mrs Trufflehound to Mumford & Sons. Result!

31 minutes ago, bluenova said:

Just had a look at maps from previous years. Is it all in tents apart from the main stage?

How does that work in terms of capacity for such a big festival, with so many stages limited physically?

Yes, all tents apart from Booth which is an outside area.

Marquee and Dance Hall are 8000 Capacity, slightly smaller for Club and Castello. Lift is the smallest.

Boiler room is one massive dance tent with an outside area just opposite with it's own speakers for overflow.

The stages work really well and rarely get really overcrowded - Disclosure in the Dance Hall a few years ago was probably as bad as I remember. It's never feels dangerous put it that way. 

To get a better idea of the site layout, this cool 360 tour they did in 2014 will give you a good idea. All the tents are now white and of a different, stronger construction. I'm stage left watching First Aid Kit in that tour.

http://360.poppr.be/virtualtour/pukkelpop2014/#p=scene_p18

Edit - the club stage is now where the shelter stage is on that tour, the lift stage will now be where the club stage was. confusing isnt it?

44 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I'm stage left watching First Aid Kit in that tour.

I just had to look up why it was we missed First Aid Kit that year. We blew them out for Omar Souleyman in the Castello (who fortunately was brilliant).

Omar and FAK are also two of my biggest clashes this year (although not with each other this time).

Nothing too horrendous for me clash wise, although there aren't actually that many bands on my list compared to most years. The Naked and Famous on at the same time as Omar Souleyman is unfortunate (will go with the former) and Mura Masa and Stormzy are both scheduled when then's DJs playing I'd also like to see. Knew it was going to be the case but there's loads of DJs on at the same time which will probably mean I'll have to split myself. AVH vs Jackmaster going against Talaboman is a sickener and I'm probably going to struggle to see Peggy Gou as there's also Amelie Lens and Robert Hood on then. Good to see quite a few getting 2 hour sets though.

Few observations: Think we may get a couple more DJs in the Boiler early doors - doesn't start until 1.45pm on Friday which is late.

Unless more get added, the bands are starting later than normal. We usually get a Marquee/Main/Dance Hall act on before 12pm every day but there's only a couple on Saturday so far. It's a subtle adjustment but one that I guess will save a bit of money.

The timetable seems a lot more uniform than previous years. Not sure why they've put Main, Club, Castello and Lift on at the same time as that means once you add in the Boiler and Booth you've got 6 of the 8 stages all on at once?

Main headliners all have relatively short sets. The xx have the longest at 90 mins.

39 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

I just had to look up why it was we missed First Aid Kit that year. We blew them out for Omar Souleyman in the Castello (who fortunately was brilliant).

Omar and FAK are also two of my biggest clashes this year (although not with each other this time).

Couldn't get in the Castello for Omar that year. 

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

The stages work really well and rarely get really overcrowded

So, unless you want to get to the front of the main stage is it pretty easy to move about and get up close?

ps. 8000 is big. It's been a while since I went to a festival with tents - had forgotten how massive they could be.

edited the clashfinder and I think the maximum of acts still to be added is 7 with most importantly are the Thursday sub, Friday main opener and Thursday Dancehall opener. The rest are probs gonna be DJs 

https:///s/pkp2017

I think it's very noticable that they clash 3 tents at exactly the same time, have DJs play longer sets and with not keeping the promise of a few months ago that bands would get longer settimes and that waiting in between would be shorter I think this is just an average PKP line up w/o The Shelter and Wablief and even more DJs/electronic acts and cheap acts .. I would've wanted to go for a day but exams are keeping me away + the price of €99 is a bit to much of what you're going to get (even the €200 for a combi is for this line up to high in my opinion..)

2 hours ago, bluenova said:

So, unless you want to get to the front of the main stage is it pretty easy to move about and get up close?

Depends whose on. I got to the front/second row during Noel Gallaghers set last year with ease. You can always get fairly close if you go stage left or right.

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

Could the new sub be Iggy Pop? 

Iggy's already on the Lowlands lineup, so Pkp would fit perfectly in his schedule. He still has a non-sold out Suikerrock to go this month, which would explain why they didn't wait to drop all the info in one go next week (after Dour).

I had this thought the other day. Goes completely against everything the ethos of the main stage this year but surely the organisers couldn't turn down the Igster as an option. Would be my number one must see act on the whole bill if announced.

Can't see it going down well with the kids though.