Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

6 hours ago, LemonLineLord said:

After much debating,my group has decided to head to PKP over Lowlands. We have booked our flights to Brussels airport in Zaventem. I know the PKP website recommends to get a train to Leuven and then one to either Kiewit or Hasselt. Does anyone know if this is necessarily the easiest way of getting to the festival from that airport? Thanks.

There are lot of direct trains from all  Brussels stations to Hasselt/Kiewit. I take them every year.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly because I've been checking nearly everyday and there hasn't been much discussion, lets play another variation of the game that was posted before.

For each day on the stage splits poster you have to pick the strongest stage, your favourite and then the worst for each day.

I'll go first.

THURS:
FAV - Main Stage
STRONGEST - Boiler Room
WEAKEST - Dance Hall

FRI:
FAV - Boiler Room
STRONGEST - Castello
WEAKEST - Main Stage

SAT:
FAV - Boiler Room
STRONGEST - Castello
WEAKEST - Dance Hall

Can be found here:- https://www.pukkelpop.be/en/line-up/thursday/stages/

On 20-5-2017 at 3:12 PM, LemonLineLord said:

After much debating,my group has decided to head to PKP over Lowlands. We have booked our flights to Brussels airport in Zaventem. I know the PKP website recommends to get a train to Leuven and then one to either Kiewit or Hasselt. Does anyone know if this is necessarily the easiest way of getting to the festival from that airport? Thanks.

There are some trains from Brussels to Hasselt, but Leuven has more trains to Hasselt.

If possible, take the train to Genk. This one stops in Kiewit, camping chill is then just 200m walking.

On 5/21/2017 at 10:42 AM, SilverLining said:

THURS:
FAV - Main Stage
STRONGEST - Boiler Room
WEAKEST - Dance Hall

FRI:
FAV - Boiler Room
STRONGEST - Castello
WEAKEST - Main Stage

SAT:
FAV - Boiler Room
STRONGEST - Castello
WEAKEST - Dance Hall

Looks like you'll be spending a fair bit of time around the dance area then?!?!? ;)

Castello is my favourite stage over the weekend but Boiler just about edges it on Thursday. Lift isn't doing much for me at the moment (although I can't wait to see Ho99o9 again) but I need to do more research on the bands. Main has some reasonably strong names (but not many are my thing) so I'd agree with you in that the Dance Hall is probably the weakest over the three days.

Has been pretty quiet since the last announcement. They seem to be giving out info at the end of each month so could mean we get the final names next week.

Still trying to get my head around the shocking and tragic events in Manchester on Monday night - so hard to comprehend what those poor people went through and the utter devastation their families are now feeling. Was thinking recently about what the situation will be this year at PKP and how heightened the security measures are likely to be? Last year a group of festivals got together and agreed to use metal detectors at all their events and I believe the first of those was Groezrock? Does anyone know if they were there this time and if a similar agreement has been put in place? I've got absolutely no objection at all to the use of metal detectors as I didn't personally experience any issues with queuing. Appreciate that might not have been the case for everyone (Thursday afternoon was a bit of a mess but that's not the first time it's been a problem so hard to say if the metal detectors were completely to blame?) but I'm sure for most people the added peace of mind far outweighs any inconvenience caused.

Not PKP related but found this website the other day that has some interesting interviews with various festival directors: http://www.festivalinsights.com

4 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Found the shocking and tragic events in Manchester on Monday night - so hard to comprehend what those poor people went through and the utter devastation their families are now feeling. Was thinking recently about what the situation will be this year at PKP and how heightened the security measures are likely to be?

Unbelievably horrible events unfolded on Monday. Very close to home as I can see the Manchester skyline out of my bedroom window and am a regular gig goer in the city centre myself. I'd estimate that pretty much everyone within a 50 mile radius of Manchester has either been to the arena or knows someone that has, which really brings it home how it could easily be you.

That said, I can't see the security being much different to how it was at last years Pukkelpop. Closing the road was probably the biggest security precaution they could have taken. Be interesting to see if they will do it this year. I hope they do.

19 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Still trying to get my head around the shocking and tragic events in Manchester on Monday night - so hard to comprehend what those poor people went through and the utter devastation their families are now feeling.

It makes me wonder how people cope in areas of the Middle East where this kind of violence is part of life. After a while it must simply break people.

And yet we have people here who must know how relatively safe our lives are, but still think the way to make things safer is to declare war on every Muslim living in the UK.

A messed up world in so many ways.

Was last year the first year that road was closed?? I cant imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to get back and forth if it were very heavily full of traffic.

The only issue i experienced with queues was on weds night when we first arrived, the situation of getting our wristbands at the main festival gate wasn't very clear and when we got to the site had to stand and queue for two hours while everyone that had been there all day and were drunk were waiting to get in to the site for the night entertainment.

It was the literal only thing that cause us an issue the whole time we were there. I'd not mind it if the security was strong again, if it were to put peoples minds at ease.

15 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Unbelievably horrible events unfolded on Monday. Very close to home as I can see the Manchester skyline out of my bedroom window and am a regular gig goer in the city centre myself. I'd estimate that pretty much everyone within a 50 mile radius of Manchester has either been to the arena or knows someone that has, which really brings it home how it could easily be you.

That said, I can't see the security being much different to how it was at last years Pukkelpop. Closing the road was probably the biggest security precaution they could have taken. Be interesting to see if they will do it this year. I hope they do.

Thought of you and Jimmy when the news broke. What you said is spot on and one of the main reasons why this seems to be hitting so hard - could have been anyone. We all go to gigs and might well have been one of us there with our kids, wrong place, wrong time. Absolutely heartbreaking reading the stories of the 22 who were taken but just feel so sad for their families and friends who will now have to spend the rest of their lives dealing with the consequences. 

Yeah, hope they do close the road again as that made a big difference. Aside from the added security it offered, all those people constantly crossing that busy road was just an accident waiting to happen.

9 hours ago, SilverLining said:

Was last year the first year that road was closed?? I cant imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to get back and forth if it were very heavily full of traffic.

The only issue i experienced with queues was on weds night when we first arrived, the situation of getting our wristbands at the main festival gate wasn't very clear and when we got to the site had to stand and queue for two hours while everyone that had been there all day and were drunk were waiting to get in to the site for the night entertainment.

It was the literal only thing that cause us an issue the whole time we were there. I'd not mind it if the security was strong again, if it were to put peoples minds at ease.

Yes, was first time they shut it. All the previous years it was a fully operational road with stewards and police acting as lolly pop ladies to help people cross to and from the campsite. They had some tape or rope and would hold everyone back until there were enough there to warrant a crossing. They'd then stop the traffic and let everyone cross over, which was usually greeted by a big cheer! The bus from Hasselt used to stop right outside the main entrance so that was handy but it's no bother really to walk from the stop up the road.

Getting wristbands on Wednesday night can be a chore as, like you said, there's a clash between those wanting to get into the festival and those after their wristband so they can access the campsite. They could do with an alternative wristband exchange for Weds night near the campsite so it isn't as much of a bottle neck near the main entrance. Never ceases to amaze me though that they only have one entrance and still manage to get everyone in so quickly (most of the time!).

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly but based on past form I'm not gonna set my expectations too high in anticipation for whoever they announce as his replacement!

Thought we might have heard something this week (still a chance I guess?) but reckon it will be next week now. Judging by the wording of the last announcement we'll be getting the timetable too, so perhaps that's the reason for the delay? I've never known it to come out this early - one year it was about a week before the festival started - so that's another change from the norm.

Just started working my way through the stack of albums I've got from artists on this year's line up and already unearthed a few gems. Clark, Lemaitre and D.D. Dumbo are the pick of the bunch so far. Not sure how they'll come across live (as in the whole crowd will probably just stand there in silence for the full hour!) but was well impressed with London Grammar at Big Weekend. Same goes for Tycho and Mac Demarco at Primavera, although late night Thursday is already pretty rammed with options.

They'll probably announce it right before or right after Rock Werchter. They did that last year too. I'm also wondering what replacement they're gonna get. I saw a tweet answering someone on the 5th of June that they got a replacement sooooo 

Ah, I missed that tweet. Here's to hoping it's Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff. Another one I'd love to see is Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, they put on an amazing live show. Kendrick would be amazing as well but pretty sure he's not doing Europe this summer.

Clark's self-titled album is amazing. Will need to give Lemaitre and D.D. Dumbo a listen! I've been digging through the line-up myself and those that have stood out are Forest Swords (just dropped an album a month back that's a really good listen) and EDEN.

Brace yourselves, Sean da Paul has been confirmed for Lowlands! Watched some of his set at Big Weekend and it actually sounded a lot like Major Lazer, just with him babbling over the top. Wasn't as horrific as I thought it was going to be and, putting my own tastes to one side for a moment, he'd probably be popular with the 'kids'.

Few others names too but mostly lower level. Wouldn't mind Chronixx though.

Edited by Semprini

Official PKP-announcement today: only 1000 saturday-tickets left. And combitickets are also selling fast.

Not too surpised about saturday, a lot of people who are going for one day, no need to take a day off from work... But didn't (or don't) expect combitickets to sell out  :o

They've been saying that their tickets are selling fast since March (kind of around the period RW was selling out) I was thinking Thursday would be the first one but having a punk/rock almost everywhere on the Saturday, well yeah.. PKP should take notes from this and get the Shelter back next year (or atleast book more rock acts).. 

2 hours ago, Dietediet said:

Only reinforces the Sean Paul rumour as he's playing a non sold out Les Ardentes in 2 weeks. 

Seems to be that way. Pretty obscure last couple of  batches of announcements. Only hope now really is that Dour and RW had some exclusivity contracts and we get some bands from them after they've had their editions but there's nothing really to suggest that tbh

7 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Pretty obscure last couple of  batches of announcements.

If tickets are selling as well as they suggest, then maybe they got the line-up balance right from their point of view. There are already a lot of names in the line up that mean little to me, but apparently are massive if you look at their spotify streaming.

Few nice names there but nothing special really. I always try to check out some of the local DJs and will probably go along to see Tank and the Bangas who sound interesting.

So next announcement will be the last but tbh I've already got plenty to see each day so not too concerned about who it is. Been watching the Glasto coverage today and trying to catch as many of the PKP acts as I can. Clean Bandit were pretty standard, saw a bit of Halsey (crowd was made up mostly of teenage girls) who was OK and The xx - decent enough but got too much on late night Thursday so doubt I'll see them. Best two bands I watched were Ride and Future Islands. Both would be more than welcome at PKP but highly unlikely now.

Keeping a close eye on the ticket situation as haven't got mine yet. It's looking like it will sell out soon, which is obviously good news for the festival, but was hoping it wouldn't happen until nearer the actual date.

15 hours ago, Semprini said:

Few nice names there but nothing special really. I always try to check out some of the local DJs and will probably go along to see Tank and the Bangas who sound interesting.

Just checking them out now. My kind of Pukkelpop afternoon stuff. There's a lot on the line up that feels very samey, this is one of the bands that stands out as being a bit different.

Edited by DiscothequeDave